Notices

38 days in hell Paws

Old 09-29-2019, 08:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

38 days in hell Paws

Hey guys,

Iv just recently joined the sobriety community. Iv been drinking for 7 years. Iv tried multiple times to quit. Failed. But not this time! I believe I might have kindled. My PAWS Symptoms are a nightmare to say the least. No memory. Confusion. Anxiety. Cognitively impaired.

Can anyone relate? How long does the brain take to recover from this, is it permanent?

Kind regards,

Lib.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Liberty and welcome!

Yes, I can relate to the disturbance and frustration of post-acute withdrawal, which for me consisted of all the symptoms you listed, plus a few others. Unfortunately there's no universal timeline for improvement, as everyone's different and the range is very broad. As a general rule, you should start to feel a bit of difference by around 90 days in.

What helped me was to realize that while I could not do anything to control my symptoms, I could control my emotional reaction to them. When I had what I called a "bad brain day," I would just do my best to work around the deficiencies without allowing my frustration to rule my life. At first, every day was a "bad brain day," but over time, good days began to outweigh the bad ones until eventually the bad ones just faded into the background noise of everyday life.

For now, try to take solace in the knowledge that your symptoms are a sign that your brain is healing from alcohol abuse. It may take a while before you're 100% again, but you'll definitely see improvement if you're patient and don't drink again. Good luck!
Old 09-29-2019, 03:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Liberty

this is a great link on PAWs and gives some ideas on how to mitigate its effects.

http://digital-dharma.net/post-acute...r-immediately/

Most people read it says PAWs can last for up to 2 years and freak out, but most peoples experience is a much shorter timeframe

I had off days here and there but felt pretty good by 3 months.

D
Old 09-29-2019, 04:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I felt pretty good at about the 3 month point too. It's hard getting through the early days, but it's worth the effort.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Originally Posted by Liberty30 View Post
Hey guys,

Iv just recently joined the sobriety community. Iv been drinking for 7 years. Iv tried multiple times to quit. Failed. But not this time! I believe I might have kindled. My PAWS Symptoms are a nightmare to say the least. No memory. Confusion. Anxiety. Cognitively impaired.

Can anyone relate? How long does the brain take to recover from this, is it permanent?

Kind regards,

Lib.
I can relate! On Day 47 here, and still I have emotional ups and down. Some days I feel good, other days super irritated. Brain fog is also pretty frequent. BUT, I’m sleeping well and wouldn’t trade this for for the hell of drinking again.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

PAWS is irritating as hell but it does get better, the longer you're sober. I had cognitive problems too up until about a year sober, but I don't mean that I was in hell for the entire year. I had good days and bad, but they passed and things got better.

I don't know if it would help with PAWS, but to strengthen your sobriety, I suggest you start practicing gratitude every day. I had a hard time being grateful at first but stuck with it and it soon became easier to find things to be grateful for. I also find that it makes me happier. I also find that being kind to others makes me feel good.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0