Notices

Tonight is tough...

Old 09-28-2019, 06:13 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PuckLuck View Post
Haha, I remember going to games and getting so drunk I had to ask who won while stumbling out of the stadium. Yikes. 😳
Oh boy. I remember going to games with tickets three rows behind home plate and never making it to my seats. I'd get to the park, get a beer, then two, then watch the game from the beer stand on the mezzanine level so I didn't have to go up and down, up and down, up and down for beer.

Geez am I glad those days are behind me.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:24 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

A couple years ago at the height of my drinking I went to a yankee red sox game with a couple friends. Should’ve been a great time. I got all of us kicked out of the game in the fifth inning, got kicked out of a bar soon afterward, then got into a fight with my best friend on the way home. This year I went to the same game. Enjoyed and remembered the game and drove home from the train station. I’ll choose sober sports any day.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:28 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by Zucc36 View Post
Hey puckluck, don't know if you are a hockey fan like me with that name? Trust me that passes. Actually what became awesome for me, is I really grew to watch and love sports like I did when I was a kid! I definitely went through the same thing at first, but just like anything in recovery, you retrain your brain, to actually be present for the moment.
Oh yes. Diehard hockey fan. Hopefully I can enjoy that excitement you describe sooner rather than later. Sports are still fun to watch, but I'm just used to going absolutely insane... fueled by alcohol, of course. If it wasn't fun I wouldn't have done it... Something I'm just going to have to deal with.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:30 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Loved watching sports, used it as an excuse to drink for x number of hrs. Now I usually have it on in the background. Tough to figure out what’s activities were just an excuse to drink. After a while you figure it out.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:37 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by Kdon853 View Post
Loved watching sports, used it as an excuse to drink for x number of hrs. Now I usually have it on in the background. Tough to figure out what’s activities were just an excuse to drink. After a while you figure it out.
I can only speak for myself but I've always been a sports nut. I don't think it was entirely an excuse to drink, I just always enjoyed how alcohol made everything more intense. I would never do a cartwheel over my coffee table after a dramatic OT goal, but boozed up I would. Gladly.

And not only sports, but music too. Really anything. In the end it isn't worth it though. It does get old after almost 15 years of doing it over and over... I'm definitely ready for a change.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:30 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ColoradoRocky View Post
Oh boy. I remember going to games with tickets three rows behind home plate and never making it to my seats. I'd get to the park, get a beer, then two, then watch the game from the beer stand on the mezzanine level so I didn't have to go up and down, up and down, up and down for beer.

Geez am I glad those days are behind me.

Actually, now that I think of it, I used to buy beer two at a time, because that was the rule at Fenway Park, two per customer, acting as if they were for me and my buddy. (My "buddy" was me of course.)

You want to know how crazy this was? I would buy two different kinds of drafts to convince this imaginary "authority" that I was buying for two different people! The guy selling the beer could have cared less! What was I thinking? Whom was I kidding?
Old 09-28-2019, 04:32 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kdon853 View Post
...Tough to figure out what’s activities were just an excuse to drink. After a while you figure it out.
Glad you did! I never figured out what activities were NOT an excuse for drinking.

Let me add this for the sports fans here worried about intensity of experience: I still go absolutely nuts when our relief pitcher comes in in the ninth and blows a six run lead and my boys lose. I'm screaming at the radio. The Rockies, the Broncos, whatever.

My kids are all the time tellling me, "Dad, why do you take it so personally??"

One big difference now? I actually have kids. Had I kept drinking, well, you can fill in the blanks (but I sure as hell wouldn't be screaming about whether or not the manager took the pitcher out in time, or why the Broncos are throwing a three yard pass when it's 4th and nine).

Stop drinking or doing anything else, guys, sooner or later, if you hang in there, you won't regret it.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:38 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PuckLuck View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm glad I reached out. Very happy I didn't drink. I actually made a huge chef salad instead 😂 and got a good nights sleep. It's 7 am now, just woke up and I'm about to have my coffee and breakfast to start the day.

If I would have drank last night I would've probably woke up pissed off around noon and been in a bad mood all day.
Glad you made it through the night Puck - that's the beauty of posting here. Fantastic job
Old 09-28-2019, 04:43 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ColoradoRocky View Post
Actually, now that I think of it, I used to buy beer two at a time, because that was the rule at Fenway Park, two per customer, acting as if they were for me and my buddy. (My "buddy" was me of course.)

You want to know how crazy this was? I would buy two different kinds of drafts to convince this imaginary "authority" that I was buying for two different people! The guy selling the beer could have cared less! What was I thinking? Whom was I kidding?
This is really pretty funny - worried about what the beer vendor at Fenway Park would think!!! I hope that does not sound mean or anything - but I've spent a fair amount of time at Fenway The last time I was there, the two guys sitting next to me got tossed from the park for being too drunk and obnoxious - that's pretty hard to do at Fenway.