Notices

Sober Friends Weekender -Weekenders 27 - 30 September 2019

Old 09-26-2019, 11:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

I like present, eager partaker and active, enthusiastic participant

and to add to the magnificent words, it’s POETS Day.

Let’s make it a sober friendly weekend.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Sober friends and to those that are struggling

I will be engaging enthusiastically in a sober weekend. Thanks Mags.

I spend nearly all my time IRL on my own so it is a true life line to be able to come here and share life's ups and downs. And most importantly my sober struggles.

My taper to get sober lasted over 3 years. Something went wrong there somewhere.

Yesterday I decided it was time to try and knock sugar on the head as I am now completely addicted. And carbs. Never been a dieter before so its all new to me. Slept badly, up and down to the loo as my body rids itself of excess water. Already missing my breakfast of peanut butter on toast. Allowed the peanut butter but not the toast. Jar and spoon comes to mind.

Happy Friday.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:13 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

How irritating Marty re the appliances! I have all that to come as my kitchen re-model is about to start in the next couple of weeks. It’s spider mating season in the U.K. and there a loads of them all over my house with it being an old stone house with lots of nooks and crannies. I just let them get on with it but now and again a big one will come scuttling past and I get the shivers. Kitten Max is going great, he’s huge now and starting to wander further from the house when he goes out. I had to get an umbrella and a torch and go looking for him in the pouring rain at 11pm last night.

Here’s to another sober weekend folks!! xx
Old 09-27-2019, 03:50 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Where there are spiders...... I tell my family not to kill the spiders, they could be keeping other creepy crawlers at bay. One time, when my dear daughter was young, she awoke in the wee hours to a spider on her pillow staring back. She came flying into our room, and I had to go look for it. Poor thing was probably just as frightened, I told her, and went running back to it's Mommy and Daddy. The idea that there was more of them didn't go over very well.....
Old 09-27-2019, 05:39 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

The weekends are definitely where I feel the most like an outsider - I don't have any RL sober friends. This time of year, I really enjoying watching some football and the baseball season will soon be moving into the playoffs. Sports and booze is one of, if not the most single, marketing focused aspects of the alcohol industry.

Which makes SR and this thread so great for me!!
Old 09-27-2019, 06:38 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Yeah, the sports/booze marketing is insane. I used to spend lots of time at bars "watching games" and drinking. I used the games as a reason to "socialize" and get drunk, and it was completely expected and acceptable where I live. It was just what we all did. What a lot of wasted time! I still watch games. I still love sports. But now, I can watch a football game at noon on a Sunday and still function for the rest of the day! And I remember the whole game. I prefer this way of being a sports fan.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:42 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

The Newcomers forum is a difficult place, today and every day. Same with Friends and Family.

So much pain caused by alcohol.

Prayers for the still suffering alcoholics and those who love them. May they find peace.

I hope to never suffer in that way again.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:30 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Mags thats an awesome OP.

I could not have got through without my SR friends..
Friends are EVERYTHING.
We lift each other up, encourage and understand each other.

Alcoholics are the nicest people when we are not drinking,

Dragon, i woke up with a huntsman spider on my pillow one day staring me straight in the eyes with his 8 eyes.
I did the noble thing and picked him up, took him outside and put him in the neighbours yard

I never kill them , they eat flys and other bugs, plus if you try to kill them, they go back and tell their families.....

Old 09-27-2019, 07:33 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi weekenders - I'm in!

Thanks Mags for the thread. Those of us in recovery all need sober friends and I'm hugely grateful to find them here. I'm working on IRL friendships that don't revolve around alcohol but in the meantime SR will do just fine...

Hi Kaily, I'm also going to have to do something about sugar too - it's becoming a bit ridiculous. I had an anxious day yesterday and managed to consume three Danish pastries, binging on sugar much as I used to do with alcohol. Not good.

Bim, prayers indeed. I have just heard that an acquaintance has been given three months to live with advanced cirrhosis which he didn't even know about. Horrible.

Anyway, getting some work done this afternoon so I can have a relaxed weekend (without alcohol OR cake..).. Warm wishes to all as always. Forwards.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:57 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Quitting sugar is hard. I am working on it - have cut way way back. I have lost about 8 pounds now, from cutting most sugar and cutting way down on other carbs, too. Yesterday I had some ice cream. It was wonderful. But I woke up all achy this morning - that achiness had almost gone away over the past couple of low-carb months. So it was a good reminder that I am doing a good thing for my body, and I should keep it up.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:21 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

whoop - Happy Friday!

my weekend starts now, except that I have to fly to the US on Sunday for work next week. I'm not sure I've ever flown long-haul sober, not that I'm the slightest bit tempted to drink, I just wonder what you're meant to do if you're not pretty much passed out for half the flight.

I'm also probably going to have to be 'sociable' a few evenings while I'm there, which isn't really my thing any more. I'm just going to say that drinking aggravates my lycanthropy if anyone asks why I'm not drinking, which isn't a lie.

have a good, safe weekend all.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:23 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Looking forward to a sober weekend before going back to work. I’m somewhat depressed and I think what can I do!? Then I realize. Stop drinking period then go from there.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:57 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good to see you Lila I agree although it's not a cast iron guarantee not drinking will definitely improve your chances of lifting any depression. I wish you all the best.

Andy, that's great news about going to NYC for work, it shows they have faith in you. Well done sir!

Originally Posted by SnoozyQ View Post
Alcoholics are the nicest people when we are not drinking,

Dragon, i woke up with a huntsman spider on my pillow one day staring me straight in the eyes with his 8 eyes.
I did the noble thing and picked him up, took him outside and put him in the neighbours yard

I never kill them , they eat flys and other bugs, plus if you try to kill them, they go back and tell their families.....

Agree about alcoholics being nice people when not drinking. I agree too about not attempting to kill spiders in case they tell their larger mates. Here's one I upset earlier...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20190921_204223.jpg (27.0 KB, 64 views)
Old 09-27-2019, 11:47 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks for this new thread Mags

Hello Weekenders friends!

I'm in for another sober weekend!
Old 09-27-2019, 01:52 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Mr

I used to suffer from lycanthropy too until very recently. Even got a sick cert for it

Goodnight weekenders
Old 09-27-2019, 04:36 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I used to suffer from Lycanthropy but i'm alright nooooooooooooooooooooow!

Good evening and goodnight from me
https://youtu.be/tLKo2mmvWjo

Old 09-27-2019, 07:22 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags for setting up a new thread, love the graphics and the verbiage.

Off to another weekend we go, enjoy everyone, be sure to do something fun!!
Old 09-27-2019, 07:54 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by andyh View Post
whoop - Happy Friday!

my weekend starts now, except that I have to fly to the US on Sunday for work next week. I'm not sure I've ever flown long-haul sober, not that I'm the slightest bit tempted to drink, I just wonder what you're meant to do if you're not pretty much passed out for half the flight.

I'm also probably going to have to be 'sociable' a few evenings while I'm there, which isn't really my thing any more. I'm just going to say that drinking aggravates my lycanthropy if anyone asks why I'm not drinking, which isn't a lie.

have a good, safe weekend all.
I had to look that up!

I didn't much look forward to business trips after I quit drinking. (think I've been on four since) . It usually means a group of people, all whom want to go out 'socializing'. Really the worst part was my pre-trip anxiety which turned out to be for nothing.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:04 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Mr

Morning everybody
It's morning so coffee.
Attached Images
Old 09-28-2019, 12:12 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Morning,

Seems to be a few weekenders suffering with lycanthropy, nasty. Brilliant answer to an irritating question Andy.

Spiders! I was feeling quite smug that I wasn't having that problem this year. Until yesterday evening when the biggest blackest spider suddenly ran across my front room floor. Yikes. Lucky he was fast as Alfie was trying to catch him. I suspect he will be out again tonight. Freaky..

No sugar or carbs is not easy. My tummy keeps rumbling

I had a minor altercation with another dog walker yesterday, totally unfounded but an annoyance. Afterwards I wanted to comfort myself with a Belgium bun, same way I would of reached for a drink. Definitely rely on sugar in a unhealthy way so moderation is not an option.

Not sure how long my resolve will last. We can but try!