Notices

Grateful

Old 09-25-2019, 03:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Grateful

Life has thrown me a lot of curveballs these past few months. Some very difficult and trying decisions were made and enacted: with all the ensuing emotions.

Im in a volunteer organization and had the thankless task of removing a volunteer against her wishes. That brought a whole cyclone of drama, gossip, and blame.

There was another volunteer group where a volunteer went rogue and I had to help reign in said volunteer while maintaining a professional relationship.

My son is struggling greatly at school. I’ve been able to analyze all of his data, advocate for his needs, help him every single day, and get him the medical help and attention that he needs.

Its been trying, tiring, and endless. But I am so damn grateful every day that I am sober. I would not have been able to tackle any of this in an appropriate manner if I didn’t have this precious gift called sobriety.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations for getting through these trying times with grace.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing that atlast.
Life is not always easy but its easier to handle its ups and downs when we're in recovery

Hope things get less challenging for you for a while
D
Old 10-05-2019, 12:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee.

Today my my son was diagnosed with Autism. I “knew” it but had been told for years he was fine and I was crazy. But today confirmed it. He also has severe anxiety.

As the dr was explaining all the things my son could and could not do, my husband was staring open mouthed at me. He finally interrupted the dr and asked if she was talking about me.

Maybe I have it too. It’s possible. And it made me reflect and open up to the dr.

I flat out asked her how do I keep my child from self medicating. Because that is my biggest fear for him. And maybe, just maybe, I had self medicated and it brought me into this rabbit hole of addiction.

The dr was very open and said his possibility of addiction is very real and that we are going to treat the anxiety so that he doesn’t discover how to self medicate.

Perhaps my journey through addiction served a purpose in my son's life.

Im rambling here....all this to say that I am still very grateful for my sobriety. If I was still drinking, I wouldn’t have been able to take the needed steps to help my son.
Old 10-05-2019, 01:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Strangely I have just been diagnosed with ASD, one of my sons has and my other son is waiting for a diagnosis. Totally get what your GP says- I have always self medicated with alcohol. At 15 years old the boys hate the idea of drinking so hope they won’t take after me.
Thanks for posting
Old 10-05-2019, 02:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow, good for you both and I mean it in the best way possible.
I battle my own mental illnesses and have been for forty years. Thirty of those drunk.
I'm so proud of both of you for thinking about your children and seemingly putting them before yourselves. How admirable.
I never had children because before I was formally diagnosed, I knew I wasn't right mentally.

I wish you and your families the very best. With great parents like you as an example I'm sure they'll grow up loved and safe from alcoholism. I pray.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you, Ghostlight. Your words mean a lot to me.

And thank you Jtmlk for sharing your story too.