Notices

It's Time

Old 09-24-2019, 05:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome to the posting side of things MJ. I'm the same demographic as you - early 40s, family, descent into drinking, though I had allowed myself to sink even deeper than you have before I got free.

This place is amazing. I owe SR so much. What else is in your plan? Ever try Rational Recovery? It was something that aided in my sobriety as well.

Keep posting. If you do the work it's all there for you. A better life is yours for the taking.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

TY lessgravity. I am doing a lot of research right now. I will look into Rational Recovery. Day 2 is here. Slept pretty good last night and have plans to keep myself busy most of the day. Everyone have a great day!
Old 09-25-2019, 08:33 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Well i found the AA meeting location. Going to go to the 6pm meeting tonight. Ihave to say i am nervous but going anyway. Any advise about my first one?
Old 09-25-2019, 04:24 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MJP73 View Post
Well i found the AA meeting location. Going to go to the 6pm meeting tonight. Ihave to say i am nervous but going anyway. Any advise about my first one?
How did you get on at the meeting?
Old 09-25-2019, 04:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Good job, great news.

Advice? Very simple. Go with an open mind and take it all in!

Old 09-25-2019, 04:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm glad you found SR MJP73 and day 1 is a good place to start, you'll get lots of support and good advice here. It might be an idea for you to join the 'class of September 2019' where you would be with people at the same stage as you. Keep posting and take good care of yourself. x
Old 09-25-2019, 04:57 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thought the meeting went well. I introduced myself, almost broke down again, but they were all nice people. Just told them it was my first meeting and seeing how it was. Talked with some of them after the meeting. That was much easier btw. Think i will try it again and maybe say a little more this time. Thanks for the support. Day 2 in the books.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:54 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Good job. I know it's only Day 2, but it sounds to me like you are on your way.

Stick around!
Old 09-25-2019, 07:05 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

well done on day 2

D
Old 09-26-2019, 10:53 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thank you ColoradoRocky and Dee. Doing good today. Going to my youngest boys football game this afternoon. Hope he does good. Be the first one in a while without a couple beers in me first. Looking forward to that. Funny thing happened today. I took my wife out for date day. Went to target and an outdoor/hunting shop i frequent. My boys and i like to deer hunt. She then asked to go to this beauty supply store. Normally i would have rolled my eyes and complained or said no. Gotta get home for that beer ya know. Instead i said "what ever you would like to do honey". Her response was "i could get really used to the new you". Made my day making hers. Also went and picked apples. Man apples are getting expensive but they are so good. Just thought i would share. Thanks again for your support.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:58 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

It's good to see you are experiencing positives already. Good attitude. Glad your meeting went well.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:04 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Day 3 is done without beer. Not looking forward to my next 4 midnight shifts. First one always is rough. Will be posting when i can. Hope everyone had a great day. Really appreciate all of the support. It is helping a ton.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:44 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We promise it'll get better, MJP. The early days are filled with emotion & anxiety. You're doing great at 3 days sober.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:12 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

MJP- welcome. For me to keep an ACTIVE recovery (instead of believing willpower alone works)- regular visits to GP for general health, DAILY SUPPORT!!!, and a plan.

Lots of info in the newcomer's sticky's about making a recovery plan.
Helps answer my own questions- what will I do when very stressed and the craving for booze kicks in? Do I tell people? How to avoid places with booze....and also importantly having someone/people who can listen and understand without judging. I share, offer and get support from SR. I also go to meetings. Important to differentiate though- these supports are about stresses, yes- but from the view of recovery from booze- not as places to get serious advice about depression or whatever- professionals are needed for that, with me. Do some SR surfing and see the threads you can join- that way you are in a community.

Support to you.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:53 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thanks for the info PhoenixJ. Ihave a plan drafted. I plan to avoid activities where i usually drank. I was invited to golf with a good friend the other day. I declined. We normally get at least a six pack a piece when golfing. However, he is also going to be part of my support system. He goes weeks without drinking and often tells me i need to "dry out" on a regular basis. Meaning go a week or two without drinking. He, along with most people in my life, didnt have a clue as to how bad i was. Or at least i didnt think so. We would watch football on Saturday or Sunday and of course have some beers. He would usually bring 6 or so with him. I would have at least that before anyone showed up. I plan on telling him in the next week or two. He is a great person and will understand completely. My cousin might understand, same with my brother. Luckily my work will have me busy a lot of those weekends. Sucks but its what i need right now. Plan on spending a ton of time out here. You guys have helped out tremendously in the short time ive been on here. So greatful for that. Still plan on attending meetings when i can as well. Thanks to all. Day 4 coming up.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:43 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

...Still plan on attending meetings when i can as well. ....
Go to as many meetings as you possibly can, make some new friends maybe. Everything else sounds really good. I can just tell from what you're saying that if you follow through on things, you will have a very, very good chance of success. You have a good plan in place.

I love golf, but I suck. I recently bought some old hickory clubs to play with some guys who play hickory. Just what I need in my golf game, more of a challenge!

Keep on your plan, you'll come out on the other end of this.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:08 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I love playing but not great at it either lol. I can drive 280-300 yds when i hit it straight, which isnt very often. Working a twelve hour shift and rotating makes it tough for the meetings. I also drive an hour each way so i usually have about an hour before i go to bed. My days off during the week will be nice. That is when i will attend meetings. I have their schedule. Thanks again for the support.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:19 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

How's it going here a few more days in, MPJ?
Old 09-27-2019, 08:17 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Going good. Keeping myself busy. I feel 100 times better than a 4 days ago. Gonna keep on trucking. Thank you.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:19 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Awesome! Keep doing those new things like meetings, and time with the kids you enjoy, and so on. Enjoy your first sober weekend.