Notices

Miss A

Old 09-23-2019, 08:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Miss A

Hi there, I never thought I would be here. My dad was an alcoholic and I was so sure I wouldn’t be the same. Anyway a lot of things happened and I’m here. I have a 12 year old and do not want to lose her so I want to try and help myself.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you found us and you will get lots of support here.

It's always a good idea to have a plan as to how you will stop drinking and how you will stay sober. Do you have some ideas about how you will do this?
Old 09-23-2019, 09:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome, Miss A.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome. You've found a great place for support.
You have a great reason to quit drinking, for both you and your son.
I never thought I would end up in the lows I hit, but I sure did.
Glad to have you here, so post away.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR amzxx

D
Old 09-24-2019, 05:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Amzxx View Post
Hi there, I never thought I would be here. My dad was an alcoholic and I was so sure I wouldn’t be the same. Anyway a lot of things happened and I’m here. I have a 12 year old and do not want to lose her so I want to try and help myself.
There was no drinking in my immediate family. Well, OK, my grandfather who lived upstairs was an alcoholic, but he was kind of a minor actor in my formative years, so does he really count? The chance of me ever becoming an alcoholic just wasn't in the cards... until I became an alcoholic. After I sobered up, I reconnected with some long lost cousins from my mother's side of the family, and as it turns out, that side of my family were mostly unadulterated lushes. Some had stopped drinking, others were still going full speed ahead.

Nobody ever asks for this, we just seemed to draw the short straws. I hope being here helps you. I love watching people get sober. I know, it sounds weird. Like don't I have anything better to do? It's just a thing, I suppose.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi there and thanks for replying. Sorry it’s taken me about a week! I got drunk at the weekend and I’m so annoyed at myself. Can u let me know what helped u get sober?
Old 09-30-2019, 09:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, Amzxx.

It is still early days for me (around 70) but what seems to be helping me so far is spending time reading the posts on this forum, contributing a little where I can even if it is just a hello to a new poster, and keeping fairly busy; walking my dog, working, a few fitness classes etc. I also found some of the quit lit like Allen Carr's Easy Weigh to Stop Drinking helpful and listening to Annie Grace's podcasts. The great thing about this forum is there is a lot of different approaches and all have something to offer.

Stay close.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Posting here everyday helped me get sober Amzxx

I also had to change my idea of fun, ideas about solving problems, and in many cases my social circle, co all of those things were feeding my addiction.

I know it sounds monumental - but I don't regret anything I had to change - it's given me a life I could only dream about before

D
Old 10-01-2019, 01:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 10-01-2019, 06:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. I’ve had to delete a lot of people from my life to get better. Only have a couple of friends left and my family, but they are all I need. Lucinda2 you are doing well on day 70 🤗 I’m trying to keep busy, I’ve started walking and reading. Also just going to my mums for tea. I guess it all helps
Old 10-01-2019, 08:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How will I get better of no one replies! I’m crying out for help x
Old 10-01-2019, 08:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi . Not sure I will be much help only a week sober (this time ) but thought you sounded like you needed some support and to know you’re not alone . So here I am .
Old 10-01-2019, 10:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Amzxx!!!

I'm only 3 days sober...but what is helping for me so far is reading the stories and suggestions on here, posting everyday for some accountability, reading the AA big book, and I'll be going to meetings to meet people with my problem and ask them to help me stay sober.

I'm kind of a loner, but like you, a couple of friends and close family is all I need.
I've been staying close to home and drinking lots of water, and resting till I feel brave enough to venture out.

Walking is great, that's what I'm going to do on Saturday with my 12 year old son. Normally I would just stay home and drink, now I'm doing my best to be the mom he deserves.

I'm so glad you are here, for you, and your 12 year old...
Old 10-01-2019, 04:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi MissA

my excuse is it was 1 am where I am when you posted

This is a great place of support - and because it's an international board there's always someone around...but some hours are busier than others - rest assured you're not going to be forgotten.

There's been some good advice here so far - how are you going putting it all into action?

Why not join the 'Class of October 'support thread for this month - it's for everyone quitting this month and all you have to do to join is post in it.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-1-a.html

D
Old 10-03-2019, 01:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

keep posting, we ARE here, but sometimes life happens....
Old 10-03-2019, 04:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Amzxx View Post
Thank you everyone. I’ve had to delete a lot of people from my life to get better. Only have a couple of friends left and my family, but they are all I need. Lucinda2 you are doing well on day 70 🤗 I’m trying to keep busy, I’ve started walking and reading. Also just going to my mums for tea. I guess it all helps
I have pulled back from a few people too, not deliberately, just because their idea of fun is no longer my idea of fun. I am finding that I like the new, quieter me that walks, reading and tea. I am confident that with time I will cultivate new friends. As will you. In the meantime, I am much the same as you and ok with what I have.

I spend quite a lot of time reading this forum too. Sometimes I just pop in and say 'welcome' to the next new person that comes in. Somehow that helps me.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

How are you doing today Miss A?
Old 10-08-2019, 12:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yes- how are you?
Old 10-08-2019, 08:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

All right all right all right we have another contestant in the sober club.. Welcome friend. You made a good choice coming here. Lots of Intel here Real Intel not text book feel me. Like me if you read I am on this journey now as we speak. 157 days already. I want you to be posting that day count as we'll. And you can one day at a time. ✌