Notices

142 days -anyone here paid third party claim.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

142 days -anyone here paid third party claim.

Hi
Most of you are known my case.I caught of drink driving and plead guilty in court.I am sober since then.However I got A massive bill from my insurance company.I wanted this to pay as minimum as possible.
Are there anyone who.already had been through this ? .So would you be kind to share your situation?
How had you dealt with ?
I am greteful for you helping hand .
thanks
Old 09-22-2019, 11:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry to include the country it's England's law.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Originally Posted by Paulsandy View Post
Hi
Most of you are known my case.I caught of drink driving and plead guilty in court.I am sober since then.However I got A massive bill from my insurance company.I wanted this to pay as minimum as possible.
Are there anyone who.already had been through this ? .So would you be kind to share your situation?
How had you dealt with ?
I am greteful for you helping hand .
thanks
I can't help you with any of the insurance stuff and I doubt you'll find much in the way of country-specific third party insurance claim settlements on this site. Have you spoken to Citizens Advice and/or a lawyer? If you type 'drink driving lawyer uk' into google you'll get a ton of results ranging from lawyers offering free consultations to websites that just have a lot of information.

I wish you the best of luck with what you're going through.

Natom
Old 09-22-2019, 11:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

were you involved in an accident that caused damage to the other car OR did your insurance premiums go up? in both cases, with alcohol involved, not many insurance companies are going to just let that go.

you are best to talk to an expert in this field. SR is just not a good source for any legal issues.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

YES I had A crash damaging two parked vehicles.With drink driving solicitors they normally deal with licencing .Now I plead guilty to court so its over.
Its the third party cover that my insurance company want to recover from me.I wanted to negotiate with insurance company to reduce the amount.Therefore looking how I mitigate this.
i am banned for driving so matter of raising insurance premium.
Also I am planning to talk with citizen advice but I know they only give solicitors contact.
If someone here had been.faced the problem would be a great idea .Worth trying nobody knows.
Thank you all for your helping attitude.
Take care
Old 09-22-2019, 12:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Try typing in google “drink driving forum U.K.”. The top result is a site I used to get advice. SR is not the place to get legal advice, not that people don’t want to help as we all do but you really need proper legal advice at this stage. There are contact details on this site for solicitors in the U.K. that will offer you some free legal advice and plenty of people who have experience to share with you on their forums who have experience the same issue you are facing.

Best of luck x
Old 09-22-2019, 01:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you Manta you have been a great help.since my begining !
Take care lady!!
Old 09-22-2019, 01:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

MantaLady and all,
Have been through drink driving forum ,helps are available regarding licences only.For third party damage they advise to find a different solicitors or help.They say its a civil matter and they provide help for criminal one.
Anyway lets see if someone come here.
I know its not the best forum to talk but worth trying.Few of definitely been through this case.
Take care
Old 09-22-2019, 09:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 142 days Paul - hope you'll keep consulting people in the UK for professional help and advice regarding your claim

D
Old 09-23-2019, 02:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dee thank you,
I wont give up my sobriety and let me try to fix the huge bill.
I still can see good in life so my never giving up attitude is working welk.
Take care guys !
Old 09-23-2019, 04:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Paulsandy View Post
I am planning to talk with citizen advice but I know they only give solicitors contact.
Citizens Advice do a bit more than this to be fair, Paulsandy. Give them a call to make an appointment. You may be pleasantly surprised.

p.s. Well done on 142 days and remember this insurance problem will be over one day.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi,

First off, nice job on 142 days.

But I have a question. So you caused some property damage to 2 parked cars and your auto insurance company paid out on the claims? Are you saying that the insurance company now wants to recoup the settlement amounts from you? In total? Or just the deductible?

I’m in the US so I’m obviously not qualified to give you any advice on defending against a UK insurance claim (nor is that my intention). But generally speaking, the insurance company usually doesn’t try to recoup the claim payout against its own policyholder. That somewhat defeats the purpose of insurance.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HarryLime View Post
Hi,

First off, nice job on 142 days.

But I have a question. So you caused some property damage to 2 parked cars and your auto insurance company paid out on the claims? Are you saying that the insurance company now wants to recoup the settlement amounts from you? In total? Or just the deductible?

I’m in the US so I’m obviously not qualified to give you any advice on defending against a UK insurance claim (nor is that my intention). But generally speaking, the insurance company usually doesn’t try to recoup the claim payout against its own policyholder. That somewhat defeats the purpose of insurance.
Hi HarryLime ,
But here in the UK insurance company recovers it from the policy holder if he or she is unfit of driving because of substance abuse.They say the policy holder has broken the law .Therefore any amount they paid to third party they have A right to recover from convicted driver.
Anyone here who knows we dispute that A convicted driver has no liability to pay back by law ?
More opinions are welcomed !
Old 09-24-2019, 11:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It is normal insurance policy in the UK that if policyholder is convicted of drink driving as a result of an accident that
1. whilst the insurance company is liable and will pay the third party claim
2. they will not indemnify the policyholder as he broke the law so will seek to recoup the monies paid out arising from the accident from him.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Very interesting, thanks for the 2 replies. That’s a big difference between UK and American law. In the US, the insurer will pay the third-party liability claim but will not then seek to recover the payout from the policyholder (the drunk driver). While the activity was illegal, the accident is still viewed as unintentional.

Anyway Paulsandy - hopefully you can get some legal help In the UK. Good luck!