Notices

1st of many situations

Old 09-21-2019, 12:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1st of many situations

I was with hubby last night at his sports club and after the club members asked if we were coming to the bar, hubby looked at me and I just said very kind of you but we need to get home to the dogs, afterwards I said to hubby next time that happens don’t look at me just decline because my answer will be no, it’s way too early to put myself in a situation like that, before I would’ve gone along and I probably would have cracked 👍
Old 09-21-2019, 01:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done for not cracking. Hopefully your husband realises how hard this is for you and gives you the support!

Old 09-21-2019, 01:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

afterwards I said to hubby next time that happens don’t look at me just decline because my answer will be no, it’s way too early to put myself in a situation like that, before I would’ve gone along and I probably would have cracked ��
Are you kind of putting yourself in a risky position tho by doing to the sports club in the first place mummyto2?

I'm really glad and proud of you that you said no but if you're going to rely just on willpower you're kinda like a blindfolded tightrope walker...its more luck than skill

I don't say that to be harsh or to downplay you saying no this evening, but y'know willpower only got me so far.

I had to really be brutal with the social invites I accepted for a while.

If you're going to continue to put yourself around drinkers thats your call but
I really hope you decide to add more things to your sober network like AA or some other support, or an action plan ?

D
Old 09-21-2019, 01:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well it was a night dive and the kids wanted to watch their dad do the dive, I hardly ever go, once in a blue moon but YES Dee I get what you’re saying it’s too risky for me as I can crack in seconds rather than think first I act first and think after when it’s too late, but hubby has been great 👍
Old 09-21-2019, 01:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good job . but be careful. The booze hound is always looking for an opportunity to pounce. ✌
Old 09-21-2019, 02:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes it certainly is 👍
Old 09-21-2019, 03:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Mummy....I'm glad you are here but I have to be blunt: you aren't truly focusing on sobriety first.

I'm sorry you went to the bar in the first place - no reason was good enough.
Keeping busy and all this focus on the kids won't keep you sober, and you keep proving that to yourself.

I hope you get the gist of my post - I want you to succeed but YOU have to choose the things that will take you further from a drink not closer to one. Bluntly, opportunities to socialize will be plenty in the future, and the best way to be able to do things for and with your kids long term is to focus on being sober NOW. First.

And, what Dee said.

Good luck.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Agree whole-heartedly w August and Dee. This situation might make sense many months from now and even then, based on how you explained how you felt and you're choices to drink again in the past, maybe not.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I didn’t go to the bar if you read my post correctly
Old 09-21-2019, 05:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If your husband knows how you feel about booze and if he’s been great, that’s excellent. He’ll know for next time.

My wife’s never drank which makes it easier although she doesn’t understand the addiction thing. For others trying to quit whilst their partner drinks on, that’s a very tough situation which would probably see me relapsing.

Old 09-21-2019, 05:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good for you for recognizing a potential bad situation. I personally was always a get dressed up and hit a club kinda girl, I never did the grab a drink thing, plus even as an alcoholic, I was always mindful of not drinking because I had to drive. Dh doesn't mind grabbing a beer here and there and certainly Fridays have become a gathering at the local pub, which while very nice people own it, it's a dive. I went once to pick up take out and recently teased a gf mercilessly for going in there with her husband for a drink. Regardless alot of the local farm boys grab a beer. So dh when he goes grabs a ride with someone. My kids are old enough to stay alone 10 minutes while I run into town to pick him up if he needs it. The man gets up at 3am, one or two beers is it, but he wants to socialize with friends.
Early on we discussed what would happen and made the deal, neither gets mad if the other declines. If he wants to go, he goes, if I want to leave somewhere, I leave. I never wanted my not drinking to be an issue for him. I right from the beginning was ok in social situations where there was alcohol, but I still had escape plans. Right down to what I would drink instead, that I would eat like a glutton because I could never drink after eating.
For me that was my reality. Everyone is different, but you do need to have plans in place.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great job! I think it can be hard to impress upon those closest to us how important our sobriety is - and that we really mean it - in the early days, but it's good you let him know that, from now on, the default to bar invites is no.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was an indoor drinker, no booze will be brought into the house anymore, if hubby wants a drink he can go to the bar
Old 09-21-2019, 05:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

A good thing for you would be to avoid the environments where these kinds of things are bound to happen. It's hard for a lot of drinkers to understand how fragile early recovery is. If there ever was a time in my life, where taking charge was closer to a life or death situation than ever before, it was when I got serious about abstinence. It was odd to experience the need to coddle myself like a baby, while at the same time taking charge of a situation. I had to be an adult, but I also had to accept that I was vulnerable and potentially helpless. And while you wrestle with those extremes, the rest of your life is at stake. It's like a trip into the emotional unknown. But that's where you are, and that's how you have to be.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
If there ever was a time in my life, where taking charge was closer to a life or death situation than ever before, it was when I got serious about abstinence.
Bingo. It doesn’t get mentioned a great deal here, maybe it’s implied, but this really is a matter of life or death. We’re all going to shuffle off this mortal coil one day, but let’s let nature take its course and not accelerate the inevitable by drinking, We can’t control our genes, but we do have the power to cross alcohol off the list of things finishing us off.

Sorry, gloomy posts from me this week 😀
Old 09-21-2019, 06:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Unfortunately you never know when these situations will come about, a bit like the AV but you need to be ready, booze is everywhere and people talk about it lots, short of not actually going to bars sometimes you can’t avoid it, I’m not psychic so I didn’t know that’s what these people were going to do afterwards 👍
Old 09-21-2019, 06:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I don't know what a sports club is, then, but that part was enough for me to make my post. Quibbling over details like this is another way our alcoholic minds work.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post

Bingo. It doesn’t get mentioned a great deal here, maybe it’s implied, but this really is a matter of life or death. We’re all going to shuffle off this mortal coil one day, but let’s let nature take its course and not accelerate the inevitable by drinking, We can’t control our genes, but we do have the power to cross alcohol off the list of things finishing us off.

Sorry, gloomy posts from me this week ��
Not gloomy - REAL talk. And, honestly, what does a chronic relapser want to hear? Mummy, I'm not just referring to you - we have this conversation all the time about being "soft" v being "hard" (or, what I call real).

This is life and death and choices are the bottom line. Always.

Some of you may find examples I give of my choices along the way to be extreme, but to me, I finally got the reality of my alcoholism. And I started acting accordingly.

So when I say choices always matter, and I could tell you an example like leaving a dinner party when I realized there was wine in an app because I hit a boundary I didn't know I had, or not going to a wedding til 19 mo sober, or only spending time with my parents for the first 90 days sober....I don't think any of that is extreme.

Today is 1310 days sober and finishing that way is contingent on my good choices.

And it is the best, loveliest, most real and gratitude filled life I can imagine. In case that sounds stupidly Pollyanna, I've shared plenty about how I've dealt with a LOT of curveballs and ups and downs here at 3 yr 7 mo exactly.

$0.02+
Old 09-21-2019, 06:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think it was kind of him to look at you for your decision.

People who aren't addicted to alcohol don't understand why we don't want to sit at a bar. They don't understand that we can't just, "Have one." The whole thing is confusing to them.

Add to this the fact you've said, "I quit," numerous times on this site and I'm guessing you've told your husband the same thing many times - I mean, how would he possibly know how to handle all this?

The bottom line is you didn't drink, well done.

You're right, this stuff is going to continue to come up, keep making the right choices for your sobriety. There are going to be many more of these decisions, you can handle them, so can he. He's not a mind-reader, though!
Old 09-21-2019, 06:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good job Mummy I'm glad you made the decision you did, off to another sober day. Everyday clean builds more strength to battle the beast.