Notices

To keep me busy

Old 09-20-2019, 12:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

To keep me busy

I’m starting to plan the children’s Halloween party for my two & their friends, I love throwing kids party’s, going to try and make a brain cake, a friend of mine made one for us a few years back, even though the kids didn’t want a slice it was the topic of conversation all evening, feeling really happy right now, and booze you are NEVER taking me away from my babies ever again, I will fight you all the way this time 100% 👍
Old 09-20-2019, 01:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Right on tell it to take a hike..... ✌
Old 09-20-2019, 01:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I shall thanks 👍
Old 09-20-2019, 10:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I have my 30th birthday one week before Halloween. And in the same month I have both my grandparents birthdays, my brothers and my cousins. It just proves that people in our family obviously like to get busy in January.

I don't know whether there's any Halloween parties on the cards yet but have fun preparing your one.

Natom
Old 09-21-2019, 12:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you, hubby said perhaps a Halloween slash brexit party haha
Old 09-21-2019, 05:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This sounds great! When I was drinking I longed to be one of those parents — instead of using Halloween as an occasion to further legitimize boozing. And now you are one of those parents and really get into the wholesome fun parts of it. Yay!
Old 09-21-2019, 05:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I’ve always thrown party’s for the kids stayed sober (strange) I Don’t associate kids party’s with drinking, I think at a few after people had left I may have drank then
Old 09-21-2019, 05:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How is your recovery plan going? The fight is so much easier if you are taking specific measured actions not only to avoid drinking but to get at the deep issues under the drinking and actively working on recovery. Just not drinking doesn’t work.

Long term that has been the only thing that worked for me and many others.

Brain cake sounds great. I would have loved that as a kid. My mom helped me throw a Halloween party complete with Haunted House in my basement once. It was great and I still remit with pleasure forty five years later
Old 09-21-2019, 06:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

There are things that I do that guarantee I get my brain right.

It might be called a recovery plan.

Last weekend, Sunday, I got really gloomy. I was making up reasons to be sad. I lacked some internal happiness.

I knew it was a trigger. So, I went grocery shopping and binge watched some tv. I did some sr. I had a great dinner. Woke up the next day and hit the gym early. Had the best work out ever. I was strong with tins of extra energy.

Getting to know my sober self is taking a while, but I understand.

Sr taught me. There is no mystery. It is all about suffering, sober fixes, and time.

It gets easier and that is when the av says relapse. You can start again.

That is when i suffer.

Last night I was the driver for a local rock show. The car was full. I was responsible.

I was driving well past midnight. My drunk self would have never made it.

Sober me, piece of cake.

Feels great to be that strong at 55.

Hope this helps in some way.

Thanks.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am always adding what I think will work for me to my plan 👍
Old 09-21-2019, 06:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Will need pics of the brain cake!
Old 09-21-2019, 07:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Could you tell me how I do that as I haven’t a clue 👍
Old 09-21-2019, 10:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
How is your recovery plan going? The fight is so much easier if you are taking specific measured actions not only to avoid drinking but to get at the deep issues under the drinking and actively working on recovery. Just not drinking doesn’t work.

Long term that has been the only thing that worked for me and many others.
This 👆👆👆
Old 09-21-2019, 10:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I often wonder why people think there is a deep rooted reason why we drink, I know some do have this but why can’t it just be I liked drinking and over stepped the mark, I had no childhood issues or anything, so I don’t get that
Old 09-21-2019, 11:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mummyto2 View Post
I often wonder why people think there is a deep rooted reason why we drink, I know some do have this but why can’t it just be I liked drinking and over stepped the mark, I had no childhood issues or anything, so I don’t get that
Because there usually are. It doesn't have to be childhood issues or trauma. It could be anything. Social awkwardness, shyness, anxiety, fear, boredom, loneliness, relaxation. The list is endless.
I am in AA. For me personally I have to work a recovery programme. Nothing could stop me drinking. I have a daughter and if any person or any thing could stop me drinking then it was her. She couldn't. I have to work a programme to stay sober and I do on a daily basis. It's the only way for me.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Oh right I see thanks 🙏
Old 09-24-2019, 06:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I was enamored by booze since I can remember. Maybe 18 months old.

My family all drank. I have story after story.

At 37, I retired from the military and thought it was time to ramp it up. Party like there is no tomorrow. Like a rock star.

That lasted about 10 years before my health dwindled to a state where I was ready to have a stroke. Long story.

I had trauma and drama, but nothing horrible...e.g. sexual abuse or torturing punishments.

My family is pretty normal and pretty crazy.

Just a few of us pulled out of the boozy death spiral. I have tried to help all, but the addiction can be blinding. I remember.

Thanks.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mummyto2 View Post
Agree 100%.

I like the taste of beer and wine. I still do even if I’ve given up.

I also eat and drink (anything) too fast. That’s not a problem, not really, for healthy food or drink, but it was certainly my downfall with booze. I’d finish a beer within minutes and want another. As a result, I became dependent.

Nowadays, people want to analyse everything. Counsellors have to make a living too. I could spend thousands on a counsellor to talk about my drinking, but the conclusion would be in the paragraph above.

Old 09-24-2019, 07:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post

Agree 100%.

I like the taste of beer and wine. I still do even if I’ve given up.

I also eat and drink (anything) too fast. That’s not a problem, not really, for healthy food or drink, but it was certainly my downfall with booze. I’d finish a beer within minutes and want another. As a result, I became dependent.

Nowadays, people want to analyse everything. Counsellors have to make a living too. I could spend thousands on a counsellor to talk about my drinking, but the conclusion would be in the paragraph above.

Well that's great for you then. If you became addicted to alcohol because you drank too fast and have managed to quit your habit(?) without any kind of recovery programme then that's great. For me, I realised that once i put down the booze I was left with the problem. Me. My old solution, my old medicine (alcohol) was gone. I had to find a way to live life on lifes terms without my old crutch. That is where my recovery programme comes in. I am in AA and by working the steps especially step 4... well wow! So much was revealed to me. I have been to counsellors in the past. Did bugger all. But my recovery programme is what keeps me sober. Just putting down the drink was NOT enough. The problem lies in my thinking.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:04 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Everyone is different, what works for one person might not work for another, I wouldn’t ever put A.A. down as they have helped a lot of people but it’s not for everyone