Notices

A higher power

Old 09-18-2019, 02:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A higher power

What about this for putting everything into perspective. It certainly humbles me. Wanted to share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaGuSZz-Fzw
Old 09-18-2019, 03:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wasn't a 12 stepper but the community here was my higher power when I needed it

I haven't got 30 mins free right now but it looks like something to watch later, Thanks Taplow

D
Old 09-18-2019, 06:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was converted awhile back, and strangely enough, my alcoholism was only a portion of the conversion. It was the study of other subjects I was interested in that convinced me. And I am 100% sure of a higher power. I will try to revisit this post over the weekend and watch. Hope you are well Taplow.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I wouldn't be 138 sober today if it wasnt for my higher power. Real talk. ✌
Old 09-19-2019, 03:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Over my years in and out of recovery I've never really given all that much thought to a higher power. I was always told to 'fake it till you make it'. I've always had a very sporadic relationship with God and I've been in and out of the Christian faith for years. I was baptised as a born again Christian last year but my faith is slipping and it as present pretty much non-existent.

In terms of inclusivity I couldn't care less whether your higher power is the God of a major religion, a door knob or a toasted cheese sandwich. If it keeps you clean and/or sober then feel free to use it. I met a guy whose higher power was the meeting room table. Admittedly if that table could talk it would have had a lot to say, probably about all the drunks and junkies that rested their elbows on it over the years.

I've always thought that civilisation is just a science experiment that some kid from another planet made up for his school science fair. There's probably a huge perspex cover around the globe with otherworldly science teachers, students and parents peeking in and congratulating the student on his 'earth project'.

Natom
Old 09-19-2019, 05:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For me the thing was. Something greater than me got me out of that vicious cycle of addiction. Cause I know I couldnt do it. Believe me I tried. . I mean just like some folks don't believe in miracles. Well I do. It is a miracle and a blessing. . but hey that's what works for me. How I am at day 138 sober is nothing less than a miracle. ✌
Old 09-19-2019, 06:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How are you feeling Tap?
Old 09-19-2019, 10:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi entropy 1964, yes I'm good thanks. I underwent a brief ban here but I'm restored now - apologies to mods.
I'm not sure where I am as regards alcohol, meaning I've had a day off then a day on, that sort of thing.
I want to give up drinking forever and I've given up forever many times. That seems like a joke but the longest forever was nearly 8 years, which is quite a respectable amount of time, so I know it's in my power.
Hoping I'm ready for a proper assault again. When a king went into battle there'd be a fortune teller spelling out the best time for attack according to the omens. I think the omens are looking quite good.
I think you've got to really, really, really, really, really want to be sober. Then it's easy.
So, into battle.
I hope you're doing okay. And best wishes to everyone else.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by taplow View Post
Hoping I'm ready for a proper assault again.
Hope is healthy but never put a roof over anyone's head. Rooting for you Tap.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

The video you referenced reminded me of this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d4ugppcRUE
The presenter is prominent at non duality conferences. This video is one of the best I've ever discovered on science and spirituality. The presenter was a student who once worked under Steven Hawking.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

All you need to do is walk outside, look at the trees. Look at nature.

They give us air to breathe, and we are alive because of them.

That's all I need to believe that there is more out there than me.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Loss of ego 🙏
Old 09-20-2019, 06:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Tap

Well, you sound like you know what you need to do. One of the many things that scare me about picking up again is that obsession returning, and the fight that will ensue to get me back to where I am now. Even if the train isn't completely derailed, I will have to fight. And usually I'll just drink until the train is derailed so there's that.

I hope you give up the fight and stop.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

actually we only "battle" alcohol in active addiction.

once we completely surrender to the notion that we are truly powerless OVER alcohol and that it is continued insanity to think we can somehow becomes it's master, the battle is over.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Natom View Post
Over my years in and out of recovery I've never really given all that much thought to a higher power. I was always told to 'fake it till you make it'. I've always had a very sporadic relationship with God and I've been in and out of the Christian faith for years. I was baptised as a born again Christian last year but my faith is slipping and it as present pretty much non-existent.

In terms of inclusivity I couldn't care less whether your higher power is the God of a major religion, a door knob or a toasted cheese sandwich. If it keeps you clean and/or sober then feel free to use it. I met a guy whose higher power was the meeting room table. Admittedly if that table could talk it would have had a lot to say, probably about all the drunks and junkies that rested their elbows on it over the years.

I've always thought that civilisation is just a science experiment that some kid from another planet made up for his school science fair. There's probably a huge perspex cover around the globe with otherworldly science teachers, students and parents peeking in and congratulating the student on his 'earth project'.

Natom
Definitely a cheese sandwich 😂😂😂😝