Notices

How Many Times Does it Take to Quit for Good?

Old 09-18-2019, 11:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How Many Times Does it Take to Quit for Good?

How many tries does it take before quitting drinking for good?

I quit when something really bad happened to me; I had my "last" drink when something great happened.

I quit on my birthday year after year after year.

I quit on the last day of the calendar year, I quit on New Years Day, I quit on January 2nd.

I was raised and in a funny way still consider myself Catholic, although I’m not a believer, so it was natural to quit at the start of Advent and at Christmas, of course.

I quit on the feast day of my patron saint, St Francis.

I quit on Ash Wednesday for Lent; quit at the start of Holy Week. I stopped drinking for good on Good Friday. Resolved never to drink on Easter Sunday; then I’d rationalize that Easter Sunday would be my last day drinking and I’d quit that Monday.

I quit when I bought a car. I quit when I got a girlfriend; stopped drinking when I lost a girlfriend.

I'm pretty sure I quit on a couple of summer solstices.

I stopped for good whenever I did something excruciatingly embarrassing (and, believe me, I have memories of things I did which to this day make me scream, SCREAM, inside; I have literally slammed the steering wheel of my car when for no reason I suddenly thought of something I did). That was good for maybe ten to twelve resolutions to stop per year.

Now, you got to understand, these are all triple resolutions. Here’s what I mean. I would say to myself, “I am quitting right now...I refuse to see my 27th birthday (27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36) as an alcoholic.” Then that day, I would say, “Well, I’ll drink tonight because the best most memorable day to quit would be on my birthday.” Then on my birthday, I would rationalize, “It’s okay to drink on my birthday because I want to remember this birthday as the day I had my last drink.”

And I’ll never forget one of the best series of all: at least a dozen times a year, I would make a tour of three of the bars in my neighborhood on Sunday night, buy the very most expensive drink in the joint, just one, and drink a ceremonial “last drink” in that bar, then leave, but not before standing wistfully in the doorway looking back inside thinking, “I’ll never see the inside of this place again.”

These were all serious attempts: each and every time I resolved with all my strength that I would never drink again.

Then, on a spectacularly uneventful and meaningless Thursday night, I, unknown to me at the time, had my last two drinks, two pathetic Coors drafts...Christ, what a lame way to go out. (Big disclaimer: last two drinks, as long as I don't drink.)
Old 09-18-2019, 11:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I quit every Monday of the past 3 years.
I did finally quit on a Monday. The first Monday I can remember that I woke up not promising myself to quit. I was not feeling good at all; there was no doubt from the moment the alarm clock went on at 6.30 am I was not drinking that day. I did not realise at the time about the change, about the fact that I had not made the promise.

Little I knew that 3 hours later I was going to understand that I was suffering my first physical alcohol withdrawals (at least the first I distinguished from a hangover). At 10 am I had to make the decision to drink in the morning for the first time and accept I was going to drink everyday all day, promising myself to stop next Monday or to stop.

So far.. so good.

Love how well you explain the expensive ceremonial last drink. I had a few of those too.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Brilliant post! Definitely the best I have read here. This is real prose. I so to the heart of the matter. I will remember this.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm not sure, but for me I'm hoping only once. I quit for the first time at the end of July last year, a week before my 35th Birthday and it's going well for me so far.

I did have multiple attempts at moderation prior to that though, but only one 'This is my last drink!' moment.

My attempts at quitting cigarettes definitely were a lot like your post. Luckily with the end of alcohol came the end of my smoking days.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't know exactly how many attempts it took me to finally quit for good. I didn't give up tho, and with the encouragement of my friends here, I finally got sober for good, almost 10 yrs ago.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Everyone is different some crack it the first time, others relapse countless times like myself and others don’t make it at all, but I do honestly think everyone has it in them to live a happy sober peaceful life 👍
Old 09-18-2019, 12:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I too tried numerous times to leave alcohol
alone. However, the day I accepted recovery,
I hopped off the merry go round of insanity and
ended my addiction.

My last drink was August 10th, 1990. The very
next day, August 11th, my first full sober day. I
was then handed a program of recovery to learn and
apply to my everyday life on a continous bases,
and never had the need to pick up a drink of alcohol,
a controlling substance again for the past 29 yrs.

Knowing that I have support, care and understanding
from many traveling a road of recovery like myself, makes
living a life in recovery comforting. It's nice to know that
I never have to go thru anything in life alone or by myself
ever again.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I know people who decided to get clean and now have ten plus years of clean time with no relapses. I know people who've tried to kick their habit every single day for the last five years. I've seen people try to get clean only to end up six feet under when they've OD'd during a relapse.

Many years ago I got clean. I had two years under my belt. Over 700 days of not touching a drop of alcohol or a drug. When I look back on those days getting clean seemed no harder than going to the supermarket. Now the whole procedure is more difficult. There's more guilt and shame, regret makes a regular appearance too.

I got told that I still had some using in me. The people who said that were right. You have to be properly done with it to make that change. I wasn't done with it then but I sure as hell am now. When you're options are either getting clean or dying life starts to look a little different.

Natom.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
not a greeter

It only takes one time to quit for good. The last time. Just like you always find the thing you’re looking for in the last place you look. Of course, for some of us, myself included, it takes a few practice runs at that last one.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well written post, even though the idea of "for good" does seems ever elusive to me.

How long ago was that Thursday?
Old 09-18-2019, 01:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Very poetic. Good one. Thanks for this.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

For me, one. And I will do everything possible to keep it that way.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My quit day was 137 days ago. So far so good. Nice post ....interesting. ✌
Old 09-18-2019, 02:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

ColoradoRocky and BackandScared, both your posts cracked me up. Very funny and very true. Thanks for bringing a smile to my day.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ColoradoRocky View Post
(Big disclaimer: last two drinks, as long as I don't drink.)
Every time that voice saying things like 'as long as I don't drink' pops into my head I now try to recognise it as AV trying to undermine my efforts. We have got this Colorado - that sneaky voice can 'do one'.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WaterOx View Post
How long ago was that Thursday?
Longer ago than that newcomer Sharon B.

Seriously though, it was thirty years and eleven days ago, today, but who's counting?

--John
Old 09-18-2019, 03:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I want to be a first time winner as they say
However, the scary part is after 14 months and a lot of good things happening in my life because of sobriety, my AV still chimes in. That is why I work a recovery program and try to be honest and humble. I have seen the pain of too many people who went back out, and it scares the hell out of me.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Looking back, I stopped drinking a lot of times, but only quit once.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
nez

I got sicked and tired of quitting, so I decided to quit quitting and to stay quit instead. If anyone can understand or relate, God help you!!! But like they say some us are sicker than others. :~) LOL!!!
Old 09-18-2019, 07:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
~sb

I spent 25 years avoiding working those 12 steps, then I did and haven't turned back!

Alcohol free since May 16, 2011