Notices

The lunch went well

Old 09-17-2019, 12:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The lunch went well

Sorry to everyone for not responding. I had trouble logging in. My aunt was a bit over the top with saying I need to walk around and declare my healing from alcohol to God. She gave me some books to read. Other than that it was quite pleasant. I got a free lunch so nothing to complain about. Today is payday and I was busy running around. Definitely going to be tough with all that money in the bank.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Keep posting Sweetichick - you're not alone...this can be on of those pay weeks where you win, not your addiction. I'm glad lunch was OK

D
Old 09-17-2019, 12:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

With you’re wages why not treat yourself to something nice as a little reward for doing great 👍
Old 09-17-2019, 01:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good to hear you had a good lunch Sweeti. Agree with MT2 buy yourself a nice treat rather than alcohol and post here lots if you can. You’ve got this!!
Old 09-17-2019, 04:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

It was really nice that your aunt did what she could support you. Sounds like you handled it with good grace.

It's really useful for me to keep in mind that just because "I always drink when ___" doesn't mean I am destined to drink when ____. I have the power, as do you, to say "not this time." Once I've gotten one of those "not this times" under my belt, it's proof of my ability to change my behavior/habits.

Give it a shot - couldn't hurt.

Rooting for you,
O
Old 09-17-2019, 05:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm glad your lunch went well sweeti. Another way to spend your money is to buy healthy food. I know here in US it is expensive to buy fresh produce. Keep up the good work!
Old 09-17-2019, 06:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
not a greeter

It really does sound like it was a very nice day. I’m so glad for that! Treating yourself with something on paydays is a great suggestion. How about something along the lines of a massage, haircut, mani/pedi, new outfit, special teas or non alcohol drinks to have around... you get the idea. Even if your Aunt was over the top she has a point about sharing your “healing” with God (if you believe) or others (like us ). I don’t know what books she gave you but they’re something positive to read I’m guessing? You’re doing well. Let’s keep it up .
Old 09-17-2019, 07:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i agree! Go get a massage or a mani/pedi!!! So much more fun than poison!!! Glad you had a good lunch. Keep posting sweetie!!!
Old 09-17-2019, 07:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm glad to hear your lunch went well and you got to spend time with your Aunt. I think human interaction is necessary so that you aren't stuck with your own thoughts and company all the time.

What action are you going to take to stay sober this time? I am not talking about Netflix, cooking meals, cleaning out the old bottles or spending money on a treat. I mean leaving the house and taking actual steps towards recovery.

So far you have not added anything new to your sober plan. In the past, this has meant you've inevitably bought alcohol again. What NEW thing will you do? You could use that pay day money to pay for petrol or a taxi to take you to AA. Social anxiety shouldn't be a reason to skip any of the steps that will help with your recovery. Also, social anxiety decreases a lot with more sober time.
You don't have in infinite number of day ones.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You could also pay "ahead" on your utility bills. Get some healthy pantry items with a long shelf life.

All of those things build security and confidence.

I'm really glad the visit went well sweeti. Great job!
Old 09-17-2019, 07:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Sweeti,

Glad the lunch went well.

So what will you do to keep on with this? It's normal to feel a little bit crazy in early sobriety. I'm afraid that your fear will drive you back to drink. Lean on us. Go to AA. Please don't try to do this alone.

I'd really recommend coming here and posting whatever thoughts come into your head. You can't make too many threads! People can help talk you through anything you're struggling with. Get new perspectives.

Please keep up with this new momentum. Sobriety has a lot to offer.

Wishing you all the best today.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad your lunch went well. I agree. This is the moment to make a plan to treat yourself and to now allow your money to lead you to alcohol.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh and well done on figuring out a way to log in! I was glad to read an update. I hope you're doing well today.

I just got back from a new exercise class. I'm worn out! But I'm in better shape now (at almost 50) than I was when I quit drinking at 40. I look and feel so much better. Nowhere near perfect, haha, but so much happier.

I really, really want the same for you. (And everyone else here, too, of course!) Please stay the course. We only have a limited amount of time on this Earth and we might as well make the most of it.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Very happy to hear it went well & you're feeling positive. Always hoping you can turn this around, Sweeti.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Glad your lunch went well Sweeti. I was also thinking about paying ahead for your bills, it might help. Keep posting. ❤️
Old 09-17-2019, 07:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey everyone thanks for all of the support. Really struggling today. My psychiatrist rang me and thinks I am beginning to get a wet brain. I thought taking thiamine was supposed to stop that. Other than that I had to buy cigarettes two days running. I stuffed up my old vaporiser. Then the new one last night. Luckily it was fixable. I have pizza in the fridge but the cigarettes killed my appetite. I don’t think I need to do hour by hour anymore but morning afternoon evening. Back to Netflix. I was so stressed this morning thinking I had killed my new vaporiser. At least it keeps my mind busy.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think it might be helpful to put some recovery supports in place. Are there any meetings nearby that you can go to tonight? Tomorrow?
Old 09-17-2019, 07:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My psychiatrist rang me and thinks I am beginning to get a wet brain. I thought taking thiamine was supposed to stop that.

um, actually, you need to stop DRINKING to stop that. unless it gets too late.

alcohol hinders a person’s absorption of thiamine, and it diminishes the reserve of thiamine that’s stored in the liver. Alcohol also interferes with the enzyme that changes thiamine into an active state.

As a person repeatedly abuses alcohol and thiamine deficiency continues, brain damage begins.

Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome consists of two individual syndromes: Wernicke’s encephalopathy and Korsakoff’s psychosis. Wernicke’s encephalopathy is a condition that causes neurological symptoms as a result of biochemical lesions of the nervous system. It most commonly affects specific portions of the brain, including the thalamus and hypothalamus, which play a role in memory. Korsakoff’s psychosis is a long-lasting condition that tends to develop after the Wernicke’s encephalopathy symptoms go away. Korsakoff’s psychosis arises as a result of permanent damage to the parts of the brain responsible for memory.

your doc ain't messing around here. you are in SERIOUS danger due to drinking now. as in irreversible. no amount of a thiamine supplement is going to FIX it.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

what prevents a wet brain is abstinence, sweeti. not taking thiamine and drinking.
i hope your psychiatrist is wrong about his concern, of course, but it’s good to know he cares to phone.
what was his recommendation?
Old 09-17-2019, 07:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sweetichick2 View Post
My psychiatrist rang me and thinks I am beginning to get a wet brain..
Please take this seriously. Not as in "I'm scared of getting wet brain so I won't drink because that fear will keep me sober."

But as in "I need to take recovery seriously so that I can learn to live without drinking and have a life free of alcohol."

Can you go to a meeting? Keep posting here? Please make it a habit to post and also go to meetings so that you develop the habit of coming HERE or AA instead of the liquor store. We want you to live. The liquor store will kill you.

Stay close. It can be hard, but please stick with it and it'll get easier.

Pulling for you as always.