Notices

Day 1 AGAIN!!!!!!!! SO SICK OF THIS! HELP

Old 09-16-2019, 10:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 AGAIN!!!!!!!! SO SICK OF THIS! HELP

I ended up getting to day 7. I had a business trip to go on and was so confident that I would remain sober. NOPEEEEE! it's like do I not have ANY SELF CONTROL WHATSOEVER? I'm pissed off and truly annoyed at myself. I came back from my work trip yesterday and i'm starting my journey of recovery all over again. I have to be honest with myself in order to change.

I'm coming up with a list of activities to tackle to get through this next week. going to meetings, watching movies, writing in my journal, staying busy with work...( I work from home by the way) ...reading a good book, meditating etc.

What did you all do in the first couple of weeks to get your mind off the booze?

I'm so sick of the vicious cycle and I really am desperate to get well.
Any advice will do! Thank you
Old 09-16-2019, 10:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The first two days I rested stayed like glue on here, then housework meditation exercise, generally just trying to keep busy, good luck 👍
Old 09-16-2019, 10:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I filled every second of the day. Work, then gym, then writing, reading, movies, bridge, golf on weekends whatever it took. Limited social interaction, still do now six months sober. Read here a lot. Whatever you do it is going to take very hard work and unflinching commitment. No easy way. And it does not get easier quickly. It does get better though.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Old 09-16-2019, 11:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I honestly feel like days 3-10 are more dangerous than days one and two. And “activities” only cut it for me if those activities include working a sobriety program. Netflix, housework and gardening have never kept me sober. I have to work with a sponsor. I have to go to meetings. I have to be active on the SR boards. I have to pray. I mean I work, exercise, read, watch tv and all of that stuff too. But if you want to stay sober, you’d better have a plan that doesn’t include doing all of the same stuff you always do.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome. I hope finding SR can be your start of a long, sober life.

Originally Posted by Tweetie1988 View Post
I have to be honest with myself in order to change.
Change was key for me.

What changes do you think you need to make in order to get and remain sober? I don't mean a list of activities....I mean changes. To your way of thinking, your way of coping, your way of looking at alcohol.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Tweetie,
Letting go of self-control helps me. If you get into the ring with a heavyweight then you are just gonna get knocked down. Don't get into a battle with the voices in your head, just move on and do something else.

I have stuck really close to this forum over the last 6 weeks too - even when I haven't been posting I have been reading. Some of the quit lit helped me too - Allen Carr's Easy Way to stop drinking and I like Annie Grace's podcasts on You Tube. Saying hello to people as they arrive here helps somehow too. Often I don't know what to say but I can still extend a welcome. I am not a AA person but do like the fellowship saying of keeping what we have by giving it away.

This forum is really supportive so do use it and keep an open mind. There are lots of different approaches to recovery here and all have something useful to offer.

You can do this. It helps to believe that you can do this. Anything less is just the alcohol voice talking.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.okay so its day one for you. Good deal . you got the sick and tired of being sick and tired syndrome. That is key in recovery cause it will trigger action to do things to keep you sober. Stick around here is also a benefit. I'm all over on this site. And today I am enjoying 135 days of sobriety. And for a lush like me that is a miracle. ✌
Old 09-16-2019, 01:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AA Member

going to meetings

thats the ticket!

> 1 meeting / day sometimes

Old 09-16-2019, 01:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I ended up getting to day 7. I had a business trip to go on and was so confident that I would remain sober. NOPEEEEE! it's like do I not have ANY SELF CONTROL WHATSOEVER? I'm pissed off and truly annoyed at myself. I came back from my work trip yesterday and i'm starting my journey of recovery all over again. I have to be honest with myself in order to change.

What did you all do in the first couple of weeks to get your mind off the booze?

I'm so sick of the vicious cycle and I really am desperate to get well.
Any advice will do! Thank you
I feel your pain there. I think we all do.

I ended up getting tablets (Campral) to reduce cravings. I only took these for a few weeks, but I also ate chocolate and had sweet drinks in the first week. It really has to be a case of sitting at home, preferably occupied with something, and resisting that urge. It does work and gets better. Good luck.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I was in early recovery and had urges to drink, I would walk my dogs. It got us exercise, fresh air, sunshine, and by the time we got home, the urge to drink was gone.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tweetie, it's good that you're planning.

I walked, a lot, and it helped me in so many ways.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Day 1 for me too. It's been awhile since I've had even 7 days, so don't beat yourself up. It's great you are already coming up with a list for things to keep you occupied. Good luck - and keep posting.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Going to meetings helped me. At first it gave me a safe place to be and away from alcohol after work. Then I wound up making great friends and discovering a really easy and simple way to live. Activities are good to keep you distracted for a while, but like others said you have to make real changes. Its not easy changing, especially getting out of our comfort zones, but its so worth it.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I did 30 day inpatient a few times. I couldn't do it on my own at home
Old 09-16-2019, 04:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Back Tweetie
Have you given any thought to how you'll actually stay sober?

A recovery action plan is a great start
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

D
Old 09-17-2019, 06:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I did two things I thought I would never get to the point of doing-inpatient detox and AA meetings. I am glad and thankful I had the opportunity and eventual courage to do both because I am now over a year sober. In the early days and still to this day sometimes, playing the tape forward has really worked. I also wrote up a list of the pros/cons of drinking and have it in my wallet to look at whenever I feel I need to.
Stay strong-you can do it!
Old 09-17-2019, 11:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey Tweetie,

It sounds like you've resolved to quit, and that's good. What you need now is a plan to stay sober.

I had two trips in the first few weeks of sobriety, one work and one pleasure. It was tough so I can relate. What kept me sober was switching up my routine. If you have a work colleague with whom you usually dine (and drink), politely tell that person that you have to stay in your room and finish up some work, OR just resolve not to drink. If they ask why you're not drinking, just say, "I want to be sharp for the meeting tomorrow" or "I'm on antibiotics" or whatever. You don't need to explain yourself to anyone.

For me, affirmations are the thing that really help. AVRT has been fantastic for me this time too. Just keep telling yourself, "I don't drink" over and over again until it's true. It gets easier over time.

The reason affirmations work is that they reset your subconscious mind. 80-90 percent of what we do is directed by the subconscious. You can drive and carry on a conversation at the same time because your subconscious takes care of the driving for the most part. You don't have to consciously think, "There's a red light. I'd better brake." You just do it. For better or for worse, most of us drift through life like this, on autopilot. If you can reprogram that internal monologue from I'm a drinker to I don't drink no matter what, you can beat this.

Drinking tons of water and exercising is helpful too.

Best of luck.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It's hard to say what is helping me the most, but I have a lot of tools in my recovery plan. Reading recovery books is great. Don't get hungry, eat three balanced meals and snacks. Rest a lot. Treat yourself very kindly. Take hot baths. Go to AA meetings. Get phone numbers of sober people and call them. Don't try to fix your life all at once, take baby steps. Think positive, stay in the moment. Lot's more, too. Read the link Dee gave you, it's a great place to start building your plan.
And if you can, get the book "The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober". It's on Amazon. She has wonderful ideas and it's very inspiring.
Mostly, come here a lot and let us know how you are. Post and tell what's going on.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you Tweetie?

D