Notices

Don't know how to deal

Old 09-13-2019, 02:29 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I will guarantee if you do something stupid you will end up feeling a lot worse, not everyone has the same heart I’ve learnt this the hard way, don’t bother calling them, just relax as hard as it is and go on about you’re day forget it 👍
Old 09-13-2019, 02:43 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

No BS, I think you are boiling mad because you feel you are owed. Your righteous indignation is your entitlement for sure, but there's another side to this story. You haven't said what your family feels. I imagine their refusal might have come completely out of the blue, but did it?
Old 09-13-2019, 03:17 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

One piece of advice that really stuck with me was that when I was angry or at a state of heightened emotion to “not do something permanently stupid to solve a temporary problem” Xx
Old 09-13-2019, 03:25 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

you did say Obviously the cause is alcohol as many of things in life . getting angry at family for the consequences of alcoholism is only making you resentful. they arent going to help. accept that and look for other resources.
theres more to the story i assume.
are you still drinking?

Perhaps the best thing of all for me is to remember
that my serenity is inversely proportional to my expec-
tations. The higher my expectations of other
people are, the lower is my serenity. I can watch my
serenity level rise when I discard my expectations.
But then my “rights” try to move in, and they too can
force my serenity level down. I have to discard my
“rights,” as well as my expectations, by asking myself,
How important is it, really? How important is it com-
pared to my serenity, my emotional sobriety? And
when I place more value on my serenity and sobriety
than on anything else, I can maintain them at a higher
level—at least for the time being.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:00 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I am with you on this one, I would be FURIOUS. Because its just mean.

I totally agree with TS about low expectations, but really, they are family, and family it sounds like you do a lot for.

But I would try and let it go, and not tell them off, but the next time they needed a favour, I would certainly take it into account. Not tell them its a quid pro quo for their meanness, just sorry that doesnt work for me. They will get the point.

But, as Dee says, the main point is to let that anger go and not turn it inwards as we are want to do.

Hang in, it will all be OK.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:07 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
~sb

You are an adult. It's your debt. You chose to drink instead of doing the right thing. Don't let your ego ignore them, they are family, but they aren't a bank. Sounds like a bit of tough love going on right now.

What are you going to do? Are you going to stop drinking yet?
Old 09-13-2019, 04:23 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreshStartOk View Post
Obviously the cause is alcohol as many of things in life. ...
As I read this, you are furious because your family won't bail you out of your financial problems. Apparently, despite your recognition that alcohol caused your problems, you are still drinking. I think these days bailing out a drinker is known as enabling.

I never called it enabling. I call it throwing away money and making the drinker's life worse, not better.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:20 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
No BS, I think you are boiling mad because you feel you are owed. Your righteous indignation is your entitlement for sure, but there's another side to this story. You haven't said what your family feels. I imagine their refusal might have come completely out of the blue, but did it?
Well they know I have a drink problem. Like I said they've had to dig into their pockets once before to help get me a new place, and they've had some financil difficulties -. I've kept them up one night by being ill with withdrawal and worrying, after which I had to be hospitalised.

We also all went through an unpleasant experience with an unimagined family death. I'm still at a loss to know their thinking though. I'm autistic so I don't behave appropriately, I also don't get people most of the time.

Situation has stumped me this time. All I can see is they've screwed me very hard.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:41 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

I dunno - maybe your folks are trying to teach you about discipline, or maybe about consequences.

Maybe they think, with good intentions, you need to learn more about being an self supporting adult.

I've no idea, man.

I think, with all due respect, you're focusing on the wrong thing here. The immediate problem isn't 'my family are screwing me' - the immediate problem is how else can you make these payments/raise this money now.

Will you have to renegotiate a payment plan? look for a loan? sell some stuff?

the sooner you start thinking about that, the better,

D
Old 09-13-2019, 05:48 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

It's my siblings and I'm pretty settled about what's going to happen emotionally more than financially. I'll get through most of it I think, no driving for a while maybe, but was very close to going under. I'm far from underfunded in some cases, even without a load of inheritance, that is what's galling.

I'm going to cut them off for good, take my inheritance as well for all I care.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:56 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry, I'm tired.
My siblings can be pretty didactic tho....

I hope you'll change your mind about cutting them out for good. I know you're upset but that seems like a disproportionate response to me, FS.

If you really stuck on this, have you asked them directly why they won;t bail you out?

D
Old 09-13-2019, 06:04 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I've asked them all explicitly numerous times why they won't. Not a sound word out any three of the degenerates. I'm seriously done. I don't like asking, I've kept clear of asking 99 percent of my life, but when I do ask they tell me to do one. They see me as a lost cause and have obviously conglomerated to never help me again. Maybe they are right, maybe not. They ain't gonna find out after these few days.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:10 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't like asking
Good - then don't ask anymore and work your way to solutions yourself.
you'll seriously look back at this and be glad you did

D

ps I didn't pick up that you were still drinking.
I wouldn't have posted as much.

If you are still drinking or were til very recently...then there's your answer as to why you've been refused.

I don't know you but when I was drinking I was a bottomless pit of want, and entitlement... and ungrateful with it.

I was still a reasonably nice fella who did good things for people - but I had a blind spot about my drinking and about whose responsibility it was to clean up the mess.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:10 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I didn’t realize you were still active in your addiction. That’s why they won’t loan you the money. Sorry, but that’s all there is to it. Quit the booze and things all around you will get better and when another situation like this happens you will have more of a right to demand some understanding.

Old 09-13-2019, 06:38 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newhope01 View Post
I didn’t realize you were still active in your addiction. That’s why they won’t loan you the money. Sorry, but that’s all there is to it. Quit the booze and things all around you will get better and when another situation like this happens you will have more of a right to demand some understanding.

That's basically what my younger sister just said. I'm finding that a hard situation to deal with, talk to them when I'm sober and the lights are off, no heat no car. After me saying genuinely I'm trying to deal with it.

I had most of July off and it was the best time of my adult life. There's no lack of trying in my opinion. I can't try when I'm on the streets about to be killed by whichever happy go lucky cut throat

Jesus Christ if I have a redemption story my closest relatives will be the arch enemies.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:13 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

The times my family didn't help me were the times they helped me the most. I hope you find some peace with this situation.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:38 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Heah I can understand that. I'm wondering if they are "helping" me understand my situation into my grave. I'm not stupid, seriously wondering if my family are stupid after talking to them.

The joys of being addicted. Having to make major life decision while impaired.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:41 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
not a greeter

The joys of being addicted. Having to make major life decision while impaired.
You don’t have to make major life decisions while impaired. You don’t have to be impaired. Simple.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:47 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I’m really sorry this is happening to you. Maybe this can be a rock bottom of sorts to help you find your sobriety?

You had the best time of your adult life in July when you were “off.” Maybe you should have been working on your sobriety? Sounds like you’re still putting off your recovery when you know you need it.

Your family is trying to help you.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:50 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Jesus Christ if I have a redemption story my closest relatives will be the arch enemies.
What do you mean “if?” Your family sees this thinking pattern. It doesn’t have to be this way. You can choose a better life for yourself.