Notices

This blew my mind

Old 09-13-2019, 07:29 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

They say that your addiction picks up where you left off when you drink again after a period of sobriety..no matter how long it is. It sounds scary but it certainly cements the fact that I can't even consider drinking ever again. It's how my brain is wired..and that's just how it is. I won't be cured of it and I won't ever be able to be a "casual" or "social" drinker. That's completely fine though. A life of sobriety actually has me setting goals and looking forward to the future again...which is way more than I can say when I was still drinking.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by froscow View Post
I won't be cured of it and I won't ever be able to be a "casual" or "social" drinker. That's completely fine though. A life of sobriety actually has me setting goals and looking forward to the future again...which is way more than I can say when I was still drinking.
That's the way it is for me too. There is no reason anyone has to drink to improve their life. It's a pleasant diversion for some, and that's OK with me, but there is nothing to be gained from it, for me anyway. I certainly don't feel left out or like I've made a sacrifice, although that was one of my biggest reservations before I quit. For alcoholics in recovery that still have that desire to get back out there, it must be a bit more difficult, but for me I don't want to back out there: "Oh Lord, please don't make me go back out there."
Old 09-13-2019, 11:18 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

early on i met a man at a meeting. 23 years sober. he had great things to share. then he disappeared for a while. next time i saw him was about 2 months later. he had drank again. he was out in the insanity for about a month. i hope i dont forget his words:
i didnt pick up where i left off. i picked up like i had never stopped.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

It cannot ever be any different for this Alkie. Though I haven’t drink for nearly a decade the way I think about consumption of alcohol would never change. It was always and would always be in large quantities drank quickly for effect. Anything else seems like a weird concept to me. That would never change and I’m grateful for that; no BS just a couple here.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:49 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I've also heard many stories and have seen what happens to people when they "go back out." It's never good.

If you have to quit because you can't control your drinking, it's a safe bet that you should just stay quit.

I've also heard from a lot of people that it gets much harder to quit after a period of sobriety. There's no guarantee anyone will make it back. Safer to just stay stopped. No matter what.

Good topic for people who aren't aware of this. Thank you!