Notices

FOMO feeling at Weekends? Weekenders 13 - 16 September 2019

Old 09-15-2019, 05:38 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
...It's good that Winnipeg seems to be open about recovery issues....
Up until this last February, there was a battle between a city neighborhood and a planned recovery center. "not in my back yard" was the initial argument, the group opposing said it would bring drugs into the area. Sheesh. Until the city had sold the old arena for 1$, the neighborhood did not care about the old building. Of course those same people would say 'somebody' has to do 'something' about those 'addicts'.

https://www.bruceoakerecoverycentre.ca/
Old 09-15-2019, 05:41 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
...I live in the countryside so I'm lucky to have small quite little countryside roads...
That sounds so nice! I've been fantasizing about running lately, I've even had dreams about it. A long walk is just about all I can handle tho....
Old 09-15-2019, 05:57 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Prayers Mags. Maybe a return to the doc?

Went for a long walk with a few recovery peoples (one a friend) in a conservation park, saw a few Koala's.....not a big deal, but nice.

There were at least 18,234 families in the area with toilets/BBQ
PJ 18,234 families.

Seeing koalas is a BIG deal lol i still get really excited.

Most people dont know they make really weird noises ... like a cat

I couldnt believe it when i heard them in the big gum tree when i stayed at my sisters.

Mags , i hope your headache has gone sweetheart

Lovely group this is, i really enjoy reading your posts xxx

Xx
Old 09-15-2019, 06:29 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Vman, glad you're still pushing forward. You got this. That gif of Forrest Gump made me laugh a little. "just felt like runnin'"

Mags, hope you feel better soon!

PJ, I also kinda laughed at your technical difficulties. Also kinda funny how for you seeing koalas is no big deal. For a NE USA resident, that would be novel.

Hope all of you are well this Sunday. It's a beautiful day here so I expect it'll probably be busy. There's also a wresting PPV later that I'm going to watch with friends, so that'll be nice too.

Have a good day, all.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:56 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Hope your elbow gets better Venus.

I have a day to prepare for my workweek but my stomach is in knots about the week. I can’t ever sleep on Sunday nights because my mind goes through all the stress of the coming week. I have actually been working all weekend to meet deadlines and prepare for meetings. I hope to get some exercise today, may go to the movies to take a mental break.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:45 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
"not in my back yard"
This attitude has crept in where I live too. It has become gentrified in recent years and some of the newcomers want the perceived kudos of living somewhere "edgy" without any visible manifestations of that edginess.

Sounds like you had a good day PhoenixJ. Spotting a Koala or two is definitely a big deal. I think I heard from somewhere that Koalas have very sweet smelling breath from all the eucalyptus leaves they eat. Dunno it that's true or a wind up.

Well done VMan - keep on running. There is some actual science behind running and physical exercise generally and beating addictions - something to do with endorphins.

Good to see you SnoozyQ.

Sending positive vibes your way Mags.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:05 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by mariposa View Post
Hope your elbow gets better Venus.

I have a day to prepare for my workweek but my stomach is in knots about the week. I can’t ever sleep on Sunday nights because my mind goes through all the stress of the coming week. I have actually been working all weekend to meet deadlines and prepare for meetings. I hope to get some exercise today, may go to the movies to take a mental break.
I dunno what your job entails or what the situation is like, but it sounds like your work load is a bit too much. You probably know well enough it's not healthy to carry so much stress. Is there anything you can do to change it?
Old 09-15-2019, 06:26 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Seeing Koalas is not passé, or boring mind. Always a sign of a reasonably healthy ecosystem.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:02 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Magsie

I missed some good conversations yesterday.
I was a lot better last night but this morning I’ve got a dull thud, hoping it will pass or a trip to the docs is necessary.
Thanks for all the kind words.

Bim, I hope the cause of the dripdripdrip gets repaired very soon, we don’t want you over the edge.

mariposa, take care and make sure you have some ‘me time’.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:32 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Morning all,

Mariposa I totally agree with STDragon that is far too much stress. Not easy to change I'm sure but not sustainable either. You will burn yourself out.

Mags sorry your still not feeling quite right. Hope things improve as the day goes on.

Bim I can relate to the drip drip drip due to next doors uncovered tin BBQ sitting under the leaky gutter. You have my sympathy.

kk1k5x My drinking was alcoholic straight away. I don't remember any period of moderation. I had a very traumatic childhood so it took away the pain and social anxiety I suffered. Until it gave me more pain and more anxiety...

Old 09-16-2019, 02:57 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Morning all,

Ugh, tales childhood drinking... My parents offered me half a glass of lager or wine occasionally on holiday and I always wanted more. When I was old enough to buy my own then thing rapidly got bad.

Anyway, I survived the family event yesterday and luckily quite a few people were also not drinking. Somewhat dismayed by some of the menu though - 'Sea bass in cider' and 'Gin and tonic cheesecake'... really? Safely avoided...

Unfortunately though I had a really disturbing drinking dream last night which seemed to combine all the worst psychological aspects of the last few years... I woke up quite stressed and has taken me a couple of hours to resettle my thoughts... Still, to be expected sometimes I suppose.

Onwards.. Warm wishes to all for a productive week. Forwards.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:58 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Ah Forwards, that dream sounds awful. Must have been the event you went to manifesting itself. Glad you made it through sober though! And the relief when you wake up from a drinking dream is always the best, even if they leave you feeling shaky for a little bit.

Everyone seems to be pushing right along, which is all we can really do. I'm back at the office, a little stressed as we move into fourth quarter and all eyes are on me to collect money for the firm. It's always such a big deal because if we make budget then the attorneys get a 13th paycheck. Glad the one doing the work (me) doesn't get to see a cent of anything.

Otherwise, another Monday. Have a good one, friends.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:42 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Another sober weekend in the books.

I never regret that and it never loses its magic.

Have a great Monday everyone.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:20 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Another successfully sober weekend behind me. I had some pretty strong smoking cravings this weekend - I'm under a lot of stress and smoking used to be my way to escape for a few minutes. I have yet to come up with a good substitute for that little mini escape. I guess I need to discipline myself to close my eyes and do some deep breathing or something. I always forget to try it. But I have 44 days smoke free now. Not going back.

Worked all weekend at getting stuff cleared out of my living room and dining room in preparation for new carpeting tomorrow. All of this has created stress that I don't need, on top of work stress, but it will be nice to have it done. It was supposed to be done a couple of weeks ago before the really busy time at work, but the whole renovation project is a bit behind schedule. The stress is in realizing how much CRAP I have, and the realization that I don't want most of it back into my freshly carpeted rooms. So I have to figure that out. Some of it is stashed in my kitchen at the moment, which is getting new flooring after the carpet is done later this week. So there will be juggling all week. Fun.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:28 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Oh and speaking of scuba diving. I love snorkeling, and do it whenever I get the chance. I went to Belize earlier this year, and had thought about getting dive certified before I went. Didn't get around to it. But I'm going again in January, and still considering it. In any case, I'll be snorkeling at least one day while I'm there. I have a healthy respect for sea creatures, because if you go deep enough, there are some pretty weird/spooky things down there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=spoo...w=1470&bih=936
Old 09-16-2019, 08:36 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

I am SO NOT clicking on a link with spooky underwater things.

The junk accumulation/shifting stuff around. But I might need it...Yeah. I am so glad that I don't get all the monthly bills and statements I used to get. Online is really good for the non-paper build up.

I still haven't found some stuff I moved for my construction/new windows.

"Renovation behind schedule,"

I feel ya, sistah.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:45 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

I don't blame you for not clicking the link. I did that search earlier today before coming here because a friend on facebook posted a picture of a guy who had caught something truly prehistoric-looking while fishing by letting his line go very deep. That started a conversation about the weird stuff in the ocean.

The renovation is actually going pretty darn well, considering. The really big stuff is yet to come, but the smaller preparation projects have gone fine, just not quite as speedy as I had hoped. It's hard getting people lined up when I want them, because it's a "small" project to each of them. I have to be squeezed in between their larger projects. But it's kind of fun at the same time, being my own contractor. I didn't plan on doing that, but I could not find a contractor. So I decided to do it myself.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:42 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Wow some of those denizens of the deep are extraordinary, you wouldn't want one of those giving you a pedicure.

If had a stressful and fruitless day at work. Five years ago I would have been hitting the bottle earlier than usual but I am going to force myself to go for a walk while it is still light and hope it doesn't rain.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:25 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  
Magsie

I hit the link!
Old 09-16-2019, 11:45 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Amateur.