Notices

FOMO feeling at Weekends? Weekenders 13 - 16 September 2019

Old 09-14-2019, 03:28 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I came close to slipping today, to be honest. It was a day of grilling with friends by the pool. There was wine and beer. For about an hour I wrestled with “just one” or “two”. Then i thought what would one or two do, why bother? I thought about all the things I need to do tonight and tomorrow. I told myself it’s just a few hours and next thing I know I’ll be at 6 weeks tomorrow. Then it started getting cloudy and I got two coffees and the craving is now gone. I will make it another sober day, I didn’t miss out by not drinking.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:29 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Just read through this whole thread. Interesting/entertaining/informative. Mariposa - JOMO is a perfect alternative. I identify today with that. That might be because it's relatively early days for me - or it might be because my drinking habits were like those described by Trojanhorse and definitely anti-social and mostly home- based - but thus far I've suffered from very little in the way of FOMO. Long may that continue.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:27 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am glad you got though Mariposa but might it not be easier to avoid gatherings like that for while?

D
Old 09-14-2019, 07:15 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I hate wasting time on the weekends. I was feeling lackadaisical this morning and at the same time getting upset that I wasn't doing anything. I think I was more overwhelmed thinking about all the things I want to / need to get done before it gets too cold. So finally I stopped and decided to choose one thing and forget about the rest. I chose to finish digging out what will be my veggie garden next year.

It was my old pool pad so several inches of crushed stone had to be removed. About half had already been slowly scooped out and redistributed over the summer.

My Dad wanted mud to put around his house but not with the crushed stone in it. So we made a plan to dig a big hole up one side of my yard and take the soil to his place then fill it up with the stuff I dig out from the future garden. We slowly dug the hole and transferred the mud a few buckets at a time over the summer.

So today, that hole is full again and now overflowing with a big mound of dirt and crushed stone. And I still a few more wheel barrows to go!

I am going to be very stiff in the morning but right now, I'm very pleased with myself for having accomplished something today.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:18 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Oh, and I learned about mid-afternoon from the radio that today was "Recovery Day Winnipeg". Had I know, I might have gone...

Home - Recovery Day Winnipeg 2019
"Overcoming Stigma Surrounding Addiction"
Old 09-14-2019, 07:44 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Dragon, it really does seem like recovery and sobriety is becoming a little easier to talk about openly. Our city paper had a whole issue focused on people’s stories of recovery. It was nice to see. Sounds like a productive day though!!

Zoo was chill today and I went to Whole Foods for dinner and watched the first It movie. It really was a great movie, really scary and well done. I’ll wait for the second one to come out on digital because it’s like 3 hours and I’ll wanna break it up.

Night all. FOMO is less and less these days. When you’re consistently doing the next right thing, you tend to be content with your choices and life.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:36 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Way to go Mariposa we all know deep down that we won't miss out on things if we don't drink in a social setting, its so good to have it validated though over and over till it sinks in, thanks for posting your day.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:52 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Kaily well done to you and Alfie.

Mariposa, pleased you played the tape forward.

Spent most my day in bed yesterday, was going to see Downton Abbey movie later but had to cancel. Hopefully reschedule for next weekend.

Have a good Sunday.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:55 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Well done there mariposa, you too Rose. It is probably best to avoid such gatherings in early recovery if possible, until not drinking becomes second nature. Not easy I know.

It's good that Winnipeg seems to be open about recovery issues.

Edit. I hope you feel better today Mags.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:22 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Sorry your feeling poorly Mags. Take today gently.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:32 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Prayers Mags. Maybe a return to the doc?

Went for a long walk with a few recovery peoples (one a friend) in a conservation park, saw a few Koala's.....not a big deal, but nice.

There were at least 18,234 families in the area with toilets/BBQ
Old 09-15-2019, 12:37 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

stupid laptop

BBQ nd play equipment. The by far cheapest and easiest BBQ food to cook is sausages ('snags'). Just the smell of them with onions would have been enough 4 and a bit years ago to me romanticize about the BBQ and booze (of which I was a master). Today, interestingly, no craving or false memories of booze, but the smell of snags had me thinking that would be a really great idea- all I would have to do is......so that addictive thinking perhaps, or maybe just 'cos I was hungry. Either way I ate good stuff when I got home, not fat disguised as food. And yes- there are great gourmet sausages as expensive as steak...but no.

I do not think there was really any period in my drinking at BBQ
Old 09-15-2019, 12:38 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

and again

at BBQ's or the dinner parties I used to organize where drinking was just part of the meal- and not an objective in itself. It just got worse and then the food, then the people were eliminated, until there was just me and my alcohol.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:59 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Mr

Get well soon Mags

Morning all the weekenders.
Had diabolical cravings yesterday evening but beat them off by going running.

Oddly enough just kept running for over an hour slowly but consistently. Mrs Vman said you're running to save your life.

I live in the countryside so I'm lucky to have small quite little countryside roads.

See you all later.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:35 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Mags - so sorry to hear you're not well. I hope you recover soon. Coincidentally,I saw Downton Abbey yesterday but I'll say no more about it until you've had a chance to see it!

Phoenix J - "until there was just me and my alcohol". How poignant. How true. How sad. How well do I recognise that scenario. Well said and so glad it's a thing of the past.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:14 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Administrator

Get well soon Mags

Old 09-15-2019, 02:17 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Keep on running Vman. Whatever gets you through...

Old 09-15-2019, 02:24 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Get better soon, Mags

Pheonix, I can relate to the progression into isolation drinking.

Do you guys recall how quick the transition was? When I think of mine, it was kinda like *boom* alcoholic. I went from goodie two-shoes kid to sobering up in local jail cell within a space of about 3 years. Whilst at the beginning I was a teenager with a self-confidence kick from exercise and weight loss discovering what 'a party' was, in three years or so alcohol was front and centre - other people who drank or who had money to spend on booze (and give some to me) were at best a bonus, but they were not required per se. As long as I had booze, things were 'solid'. That's insane.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:58 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Dee - I loved that Maggie Smith clip!!
Old 09-15-2019, 05:25 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

kk, one of the many factors in my early alcoholism was the fact I never had to pay for it. Heck I doubt I bought much alcohol for myself until I was 25 or so and I was well into alcoholic drinking by then.

I'm female and that may be one reason but I also grew up in a very wealthy area where the kids of rich people had nothing better to do than drugs and alcohol and indulging their own very spoiled desires. Ugh. I tried to keep up with people who were multimillionaires by the time they were 18. So many of them died very young due to their over-the-top lifestyles. Money really doesn't necessarily buy happiness.

PJ, you made me giggle with your technical difficulties.

Vman, keep running. Your wife is very wise. Exercise is super important to me. Even a brisk walk is enough for me.

Mags, I hope you feel better.

The constant drip drip drip from a roof leak is going to push me over the edge you guys.