Notices

Novel ways to approach spirituality?

Old 09-11-2019, 04:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Novel ways to approach spirituality?

I'm over four months sober and there's still a big void. So I guess I'm kind of interested. I do get a lot out of the Tao Te Ching. And being in nature. And I feel kind of connected to my body and the world when running. And music of course. But now I feel I'm just straying into my passions!

I don't really know but I feel this could be important after all, even for a cynic like me.

(Yes I have been to an AA meeting tonight. Pesky AA and their spiritual ways...)
Old 09-11-2019, 05:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

If the TaoTe Ching resonates with you why not investigate Taoism a little more?

D
Old 09-11-2019, 06:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Art, music, nature, recovery- connections....that is what life is about to me, connections.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I love the Tao Te Ching...... particularly the Star translation

Live in accordance with the nature of things
Build your house on solid ground
Keep your mind still
When giving, be kind
When speaking, be truthful
When ruling, be just
When working, be one-pointed
When acting, remember – timing is everything

You might consider a book called Perennial Philosophy. I'm a big fan of considering ALL the worlds spiritual traditions while seeking the truth.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you can find a philosophy that suits you and fills your spiritual need.

That book recommended by awuh is by Aldous Huxley. I googled it and it looks good. I may get it from our library and give it a read.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Spirituality is not for everyone. Fortunately sobriety is. I had a void whilst drinking. I still have a void now sober. That is just my mental make-up. It’s ok to live with it and still find many meaningful things in life.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It sounds like you are "searching" which I love. Throughout my searches, what I have enjoyed is books and podcasts about mindfulness, meditation and self-love.

My gurus are Eckhart Tolle and Deepak Chopra, I just the clarity and simplicity in which they speak of breaking down all of your labels and constructs and just BEING.

But spiritualism isn't something you should have to search for too much, you have to think about what fulfills you REALLY. Is it running (there is a book called Meditation while Running which was wonderful on how to manage your breath while on a run), a workout regimen that takes you to that "place," volunteer work or joining some run or workout clubs and connecting.

There is so much you can do to fill that space.

Hope this helped a teeny bit!
Old 09-12-2019, 02:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I continue to gain an incredible amount from studying Friar Richard Rohr of the CAC (Center for Active Contemplation). He incorporates an astonishing array of wisdom traditions, non-dual thinking concepts, an over-arching focus on love as the bottom line...so much.

You can elect to have daily, weekly, month meditations (a themed writing for each week) and they are part of my daily morning work.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am finding getting out of “myself,” and into making connections with others (that being said, I also take a lot of time alone in nature to connect with quiet and peace...gratitude, etc. as well is helping me feel a little more spiritual connectedness. I used to isolate far too much and it spun me down the rabbit hole of self, drinking, despair, etc. Forcing myself out of my comfort zone to make more human connections is helping that,
Old 09-12-2019, 04:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

A novel way to approach spirituality? Starting with zero belief or experience, I got into the steps with a sponsor as if my life depended on it, and as if I was running out of time. I had a life changing spiritual experience and continue to develop a spiritual life.

I have a long way to go. It is an area much on my mins these days as I look at some of the crazy stuff going on in our world today. While the steps provided a total answer in respect of my alcoholism, AA encourages us to pursue our spiritual interests outside of AA if we wish. The steps gave me a start, and some experience, which has helped me get some idea of what I am seeking.

Much to my surprise, I find myself looking more closely at traditional religion these days.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm working on this same issue myself, so I understand the problem. I considered myself agnostic for a few years, so AA and a higher power posed a problem for me. I'm just trying to let go and giving multiple things a shot. Meditation before bed (Insight Timer app is pretty good). I even went to church and while I don't and never will believe in Jesus as a divine figure, I still found the message and warmth their moving. And the band was actually really good, so it was entertaining as well.

Just throw things against the wall and see what sticks. You never know what might end up appealing to you. You may find peace or faith in a place you don't expect it.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetrax View Post
I'm over four months sober and there's still a big void. So I guess I'm kind of interested. I do get a lot out of the Tao Te Ching. And being in nature. And I feel kind of connected to my body and the world when running. And music of course. But now I feel I'm just straying into my passions!

I don't really know but I feel this could be important after all, even for a cynic like me.

(Yes I have been to an AA meeting tonight. Pesky AA and their spiritual ways...)
I think it's important to keep in mind that when people talk about spirituality they can be using one of many definitions, most that aren't even in the dictionary. It becomes a semantic problem. AA and many of its members claim that AA is a spiritual program, for some more so than others. I'm pretty sure Bill Wilson meant it to be spiritual in the strict sense of the word. Calling on a higher power (a spiritual entity, specifically God) to take away your desire to drink. For others, I'm guessing it's not always that specific and means more like "having the quality of something that feels wholesome and good."

I use the definition that I think Bill Wilson uses, although we are 180 degrees and miles apart on what we believe the nature of such a spiritual entity might be and whether or not it interacts with humans. Others in AA who self identify as spiritual may not use that definition.

Case in point: A woman in AA once told me I was the most spiritual person she knew (an exaggeration, I think) when I was talking about being emotionally overwhelmed hiking into remote lakes and glacial cirques in the mountains of Montana. But I don't consider that a spiritual experience. I think it mirrors a spiritual experience in intensity, but there are no spirits or higher powers involved in it. It's just an emotional turn on that is personal to me. I don't think there are words adequate to describe the experience, and I don't think "spiritual" is adequate.

But if you experience something similar in your Te Ching or your running, you probably understand, even if you aren't experiencing it at the moment. Call it spiritual or something else. "Peak experience" is sometimes used by professionals in psychology, but that seems too technical and understated to me.

You say that you don't know if all this is important or not. I'm not sure either, but I think you know what the experience feels like whether you attach spirituality to it or not, but such experiences provide some of the most enriching moments in our lives, and it would be disappointing not ever having them. When I realized I was never going to drink again, I had something similar, so the experiences are kind of related to recovery in that they are one of the blessings. I don't want to over complicate it, however. I got sick of being addicted and now I'm free, and I'm going to enjoy that for what it is.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm over four months sober and there's still a big void.
Your life my be richer than you think. It sounds like it. At times, I've experienced a void in my introspection. Usually, my mind is filled with all kinds of things that I sort through during meditation. I've come upon a void a few times. I think it's probably there all the time, but I'm not sure. My first reaction was fear, but it's just an empty space. There's nothing inherently bad about a space. It could even be used to retire to to escape the rat race temporarily, I suppose.

It got me to wondering. People seem to fill their lives with all sorts of things. Chaos junkies might be attempting to fill their space with chaos in an attempt to feel something. I suppose conflict is better than nothing, but there's nothing wrong with a void unless it's overwhelming, chronic, and unhealthy. I wouldn't make too much out of a void. You can fill it with something, leave it empty, or use it however you want.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Honestly, I think it is what you make of it. I kinda believe that there's something that caused all of us to be here. That we have souls, etc. And I follow things that help me feel connected to that belief.

Mindfulness, exercise, nature, etc isn't necessarily spirituality, but if it allows you to connect with yourself in a way you haven't before, then I think it's a good idea to keep doing those things. I don't think you need to follow a set of beliefs to fit a certain definition.

All of these suggestions are great though, and I'm definitely going to check out some of the books that people have mentioned.

As always, I'm really glad you're still doing well, Tet.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dpac414 View Post
I don't think you need to follow a set of beliefs to fit a certain definition.
Agree with this completely. A perfect example is, I think it's perfectly possible and acceptable for some people to consider themselves Christians for the following the teachings of Jesus without believing in virgin births, resurrections, and other divine aspects.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Okay I've definitely gotta find God. And soon.

Can't hold out much longer.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Okay I've definitely gotta find God. And soon.

Can't hold out much longer.
Okay. I think you might think I'm crazy for saying this, or, as you say in England, I've "gone 'round the twist" (I heard that in a Harry Potter picture!), but four months into not drinking and being active in AA, I might suggest your first steps toward a spiritual life could very well start out with small steps in service to others. Like, volunteer in a group to get the books out, or set up the chairs, or make the coffee, or pass the basket for the donations, volunteer to go get the meeting lists from central service for the group, and so on, clean up after the meeting, empty the ash trays, etc.

Do the group work -- quietly, without attention -- that nobody else wants to do!

Then maybe take another small step. I know four months isn't long, although it's a great accomplishment, but maybe you are ready to go up to someone who spoke in the meeting and ask them about their comments, maybe one of the people nobody takes seriously, like very young or very old people. Listen in a different way though. Look her in the eye, listen without comment, listen with interest, let her feel wanted, important, like she is where she belongs.

p.s. I'm not blowing smoke at you: I did all these things at four months.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

watch the sunrise....and then try to make it stop. if you cannot, then there is a power greater than you at work.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Spirituality and living spiritually is a truly beautiful thing. It’s the missing piece of the jigsaw for an alcoholic who is now sober in my experience and the thing that will make one feel enriched, at peace and truly happy. The notion of altering one’s mind chemically when you’re living this way is non-existent. Your eyes are now fully open to the wonder and beauty of the earth and universe. The Tao Te Ching is a masterpiece 🙏
Old 09-14-2019, 03:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I've mentioned several times part of the reason the steps never resonated with me is that I was brought up in a religious environment so the philosophy was largely nothing new. I had my issues with the Religious God concept when I was younger and considered myself agnostic for a long while.. and then I had my deep exploration and integration of spirituality in a totally different light (which coincided with my drinking) later on. I had to travel very far down the rabbit hole to find what I was looking for but I did and there is no "unknowing" it.

The issue of course being that I was totally plastered when I made these "discoveries" and thus sobriety felt like taking a hard fall off an imaginary cloud.. Now I'm just trying to bridge the gap, with my feet on the ground this time. I still do not believe in a religious god nor do I believe all alcoholics need to submit to a higher power to remain sober. However that doesn't automatically mean I have no spiritual beliefs whatsoever.

I think Buddhism and Taoism have a tremendous amount to offer in terms of philosophy that's directly relevant to sobriety. But there are so many ways, countless ways really.. to find an individual path to the spirituality you're seeking. Even modern day science is beginning to offer insight into the spiritual nature of our existence.

PS August, I looked up Friar Richard Rohr and I happen to live in the state where they have their Center. Have to say from what I read it's an interesting take on Christianity. Not that the place has anything to do with the philosophy but I've always felt this is a "spiritual" location. Although it's much easier to be enchanted while just visiting or reading about it than it is actually living here lol.