Notices

distraction

Old 09-11-2019, 06:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

distraction

Hi All,

5 days sober. Can't stop thinking about drinking tonight. Can someone tell me something to distract these thoughts. What should I do tonight so I don't drink ?
Old 09-11-2019, 06:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job on the 5 days!
I would drink water, snack on something and go for a walk or some type physical activity.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Eat as much as you can, something really yummy, shower and put pyjamas on, find something engrossing to watch.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Naps, netflix cruising, coloring, cleaning the house (laundry, etc), walking if you feel like it, coming here...whatever it takes. That crawling out of my skin feeling to do SOMETHING was definitely something I encountered, along with huge fatigue and various physical symptoms, and just getting days and weeks behind me what I had to do.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello. Um weather permitting go outside breath some sober fresh air. Take a walk. People watch while chillin on a bench somewhere posting here lol. Sobriety is Cool. ✌
Old 09-11-2019, 07:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That’s normal I’m afraid and will be for a week or so.

I never eat chocolate or drink energy drinks, but I found them helpful in my early quitting days, maybe the sugar helped. I wouldn’t recommend this long term. Other than that, keep yourself occupied with something active. I was very surprised at that anxious fidgety feeling and wondered if it would go on for years. It actually started to fade after week two. But no little “rewards” of alcohol or you’ll be back to day one. Good luck
Old 09-11-2019, 07:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ice cream and Netflix 👍
Old 09-11-2019, 07:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies. I'll go out for a walk shortly, and appreciate the fresh air on my face. Then get some non-alcoholic treats like ice cream or chocolate. Maybe a long, hot bath later. Get through the next day or two, and I hope the craving will reduce. Glad I posted in soberrecovery :-).
Old 09-11-2019, 07:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Old 09-11-2019, 08:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Recognize: Reasons for drinking are driven by emotional factors, usually feelings of helplessness (about whatever in life makes one feel overwhelmingly trapped). Recognize the feeling, define it, be aware of it but don't become it. Where in your body do you feel it? How bad is it on a 1-10 scale. Off load the feeling by writing or talking about it. Feelings are always temporary.

Reframe: Reframe the pros and cons of acting on your feelings. What is your best available option for being happy? The only way you will stop desiring heavy substances and change your behavior is by seeing more happiness in the change than in the using. Do a spread sheet of Cost Benefit Analysis.

Replace: Empower yourself and regain control over helpless, powerless, trapped feelings with a high value activity that makes you feel in control. (exercise, music, read, pray, write: whatever you want to do that can be fun or of high value to you.

When your values trump your addiction, there is no addiction.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by andy1 View Post
Hi All,

Can't stop thinking about drinking tonight.
Thinking doesn't have to turn into drinking.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What to do all depends. Are you going through withdrawals that will inhibit your ability to say, go to the gym and exercise? Go to a movie (even though our movie theater has a stinking bar in it now?)

When in withdrawals, everyone always says to sleep/nap. I don't know how they did it. I had insomnia every time. I binge watched my favorite shows, played games on my phone, and if I was up to it, did things like crosswords or puzzles to keep my brain busy.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm beginning to think that the best way to deal with these obsessions is to do something physical. I used to try to beat them into submission by the power of my mind, but I think it may be better to go for a walk. It doesn't have the appeal of mentally overpowering something as if you were equipped with a Martian mind beam (that's real power), but physical activity, as unintuitive as it is, is probably more effective than human thinking. You will still have to work to suppress your cravings, but it's easier to do that when you have to focus on where you're putting your feet, or looking for traffic.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

duplicate post

Last edited by DriGuy; 09-11-2019 at 09:14 AM. Reason: already posted and then I left to make a sandwhich and forgot where I was.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Thinking is just thoughts. Thoughts won’t kill you, but drinking will.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
I'm beginning to think that the best way to deal with these obsessions is to do something physical. I used to try to beat them into submission by the power of my mind, but I think it may be better to go for a walk. It doesn't have the appeal of mentally overpowering something as if you were equipped with a Martian mind beam (that's real power), but physical activity, as unintuitive as it is, is probably more effective than human thinking. You will still have to work to suppress your cravings, but it's easier to do that when you have to focus on where you're putting your feet, or looking for traffic.
I'd have to agree. The funny part is that Dr's have been telling us for decades now that exercise is a natural anti-depressant. We know these things, but how so few actually do it.

I stopped working and just did a hard 1 hour of cardio at the gym and now back at the computer to continue working. I wasn't craving or anything, but I feel much better having gotten a good sweat out (from something other than the florida humidity)
Old 09-11-2019, 04:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope some of these ideas are of use Andy

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ething-do.html (Looking For Something To Do?)
Old 09-12-2019, 07:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I managed to get through yesterday without drinking. Didn't sleep very well as my mind was racing.

But I'm getting cravings much worse today. Not sure why I'm posting as I think I have decided to drink. In fact, it doesn't feel that I've decided to drink, it feels like my addiction has over-ruled my rational mind, and decided to drink for me. Maybe not taking responsibility and blaming something else is part of the problem.

I'll try taking a walk again, but not confident I can resist cravings today.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Andy, yes my relapses were already decided before I acted on them. Unfortunately I am the type that takes things to the very limit and it took my health to become as bad as it can be before it finally sunk in. Some people can stop before it progresses that far but I never could. And I always blamed reasons for picking up!
Old 09-12-2019, 08:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by andy1 View Post
Maybe not taking responsibility and blaming something else is part of the problem.
The addictive voice tells us drinking is a good idea. Once you decide to drink, that's on you.

That decision, once made, is hard to turn away from.

The same could be said about the decision to not drink. Once made and firmly committed too, it's a hard one to turn away from.