Notices

Unwanted gift

Old 09-09-2019, 11:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unwanted gift

A friend, who does not know that I do not drink now, has kindly given me some wine and chocolate for looking after her cat. I just put the wine in the cupboard to give to another friend I will see this weekend.#
I do not feel the slightest urge to drink it, which I feel is a major achievement at week five AF. I have also thought that that is how ‘non-drinkers’ feel. That it does not bother them that it is there in the cupboard, and that they do not think about it. However, that they might get it out at some future date to share with someone, or to celebrate, or just have a glass whilst watching TV. I know I am, and will never be, that sort of a drinker.

As for the chocolate…….that probably will not make the weekend 😊
Old 09-10-2019, 12:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's a great feeling Badga! Chocolate IS an essential part of life!
Old 09-10-2019, 01:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Go easy on the chocolate, Badga 😀

Apart from the chocolate, sounds like your doing well. Good to hear.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yep, probably not point in making a fuss...just thank her and pass it along to someone who'll drink it.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A while back a business colleague gave me a bottle of Dom Perignon champagne. I looked it up - sells for $195 per bottle. I gave it away.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AAPJ View Post
A while back a business colleague gave me a bottle of Dom Perignon champagne. I looked it up - sells for $195 per bottle. I gave it away.
I would have sold it lol
Old 09-10-2019, 02:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So funny just had a coworker want to give me booze too. Luckily they texted me before giving it to me, to see which kind I would want. Just simply said I gave up drinking a while back.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great thing to re-gift, IMO.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Badga - at week 5 tho I must be honest and say I would have got that sucker out of my house toot suite....not because I was tempted but because I would have wondered if this was addiction driven complacency.

(not saying you're complacent, just that my addiction always considered having drinks near me a step closer to getting drinks in me)

D
Old 09-10-2019, 01:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Fantastic on 5 weeks 😊

I couldn't keep any alcohol in the house, just in case. Whether I will, time will tell
Keep going x
Old 09-11-2019, 05:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on 5 weeks!

We have booze in our house, kept in a cupboard out of the way and dh has a beer fridge in the garage and barn.

I ended up with Irish Whiskey as a prize in an adult themed Easter Egg hunt. I threw it in the cupboard. That was in the spring, however when I first stopped drinking, I avoided touching it at all costs and I remember the first time I saw alcohol in a grocery store, it stopped me in my tracks, I felt intruded upon. (New thing where I live) I went to restaurants and dances and such right from the beginning, that's me, how I live, plus I was launching an event company - now I am stepped back, not because of the booze, because of time and I have other places to focus my talents. (Like telling dh how to run his company Arguments are foreplay for us, we're weirdos!)
Be careful, if you have any fears or thoughts, get rid of it. I think we all want to eventually live a life where it doesn't affect us, we don't want to drink it, but it's presence doesn't bother us.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It happens, and yeah it's a little awkward. The gesture is nice, but thankfully you no longer have to tell yourself you are obligated to drink it all to show your appreciation. Remember those days? "Yeah, I better drink this wine for someone else's sake." Yeah, right.