Notices

White Claw seltzer shortage

Old 09-09-2019, 08:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

White Claw seltzer shortage

I’ve been seeing something on several news channels about there being a shortage of some seltzer water. I finally, reluctantly, succumbed to my own curiosity and looked up what it is. Turns out it’s a malt liquor beverage. SO GLAD I had no idea what it was, so glad that I’ll never know what it tastes like and so amused that people could really give enough of a crap to care whether or not this crap is available. Thank God for sobriety.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I saw that too - it's still all over the Publix grocery here (big Southern US chain)! Y'know, cuz you need to have those not-just-water bevs right beside the actual sparkling water.

I just smile a little now because it seems so ridiculous to see all the cute little cans of [ ] that are part of our alcohol-centric culture.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
I saw that too - it's still all over the Publix grocery here (big Southern US chain)! Y'know, cuz you need to have those not-just-water bevs right beside the actual sparkling water.

I just smile a little now because it seems so ridiculous to see all the cute little cans of [ ] that are part of our alcohol-centric culture.
Yep, and best believe the kids see that fancy packaging and the all the hype. Little seeds being planted in our childrens’ subconscious minds. And the media is doing us no favors.

Even in in my darkest drinking days I hated seeing alcohol advertisements. I mean, why not allow ads for cocaine or meth? They haven’t claimed as many lives as alcohol. Sad sad sad.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeABetterMan View Post
...I’ll never know what it tastes like ....
Last Friday night I was sitting at a nearby bar watching my daughter's college's team play because the place had a television set with the game and I didn't have the channel.

It's been a while since I spent any time in a bar by myself. I was looking at all the whiskeys behind the bar and was very impressed by the exotic names, exotice names like White Claw!, and the beautiful labels; there were also a full line-up of beers I've never seen before, and, again, amazingly romantic and cool names and labels that must have been designed by the Michelangelo of design. I saw the bartender throw one of the empty whiskey bottles away and I thought about asking her for it just to keep for its classy design, I think it was Irish or something. I even thought of buying some of the beers just for show. I didn't of course, but I must say, the artistry behind labels has come a long way since the Hamm's six-packs we used to buy for a dollar.

Man, I thought just like you did..."Geez all these beautiful bottles I'll never taste!"

It never occurred to me to actually buy and drink one. Don't get me wrong, I have no intention of spending a lot of time admiring liquor labels, but the whole experience reminded me of how far I've come since those days of sitting at the bar with a long-neck bottle of beer on the counter in front of me and carrying on an agonizing internal civil war over whether I should drink.

It's okay, I'm perfectly aware "how far I've come" is relative. As long as I don't drink, I've come far. If I ever drink again, well, everybody knows the end of that sentence.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There is an alcoholic water. I forget the name but that's not really the point. And it looks just like a regular water bottle so it would be so easy to pick up at a cooler or something at a party! Le sigh.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There is an alcoholic water. I forget the name but that's not really the point. And it looks just like a regular water bottle so it would be so easy to pick up at a cooler or something at a party! Le sigh.
That's evil!
Old 09-10-2019, 12:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

And most of this stuff has fine print and you really do have to pay attention!
Old 09-10-2019, 03:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My dad is the kind of person who would pick these up to try them, and I went over to his house for dinner. I triple checked the can I was drinking and confirmed with him that what I had gotten was not alcoholic. It was just a moment where I was kind of baffled I had to do it at all. Sparkling water is my goto NA drink in public spaces and now those aren't even safe :'(

Maybe an off color joke, but I was just thinking that if people want to get drunk without the calories then just drink straight vodka like the rest of us alcoholics. Cuz honestly if that's the case then maybe it's time to take a look at what you're doing.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

^^^Ha!!! I can certainly tell you how it went when I got on the vodka diet plan.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Probably about as well as my as my vodka diet plan!
Old 09-10-2019, 06:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This product markets to women.....especially young women. Its today's 'wine cooler'.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

On one hand I can imagine my wife or responsible drinkers loving thesef. On the other hand, if I was still drinking these would be my Sunday morning go-to when I'd pretend to be running an errand but really would just chug as many high % beers in the park or down a street corner before stumbling back into bed. Demon feeding at its best. A sick life, good riddance.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
On one hand I can imagine my wife or responsible drinkers loving thesef. On the other hand, if I was still drinking these would be my Sunday morning go-to when I'd pretend to be running an errand but really would just chug as many high % beers in the park or down a street corner before stumbling back into bed. Demon feeding at its best. A sick life, good riddance.
So much chugging in the shadows I did (in Yoda’s voice).
Old 09-10-2019, 06:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

And most of this stuff has fine print and you really do have to pay attention!
True story! We had people over, they left assorted bottles and cans behind, which hubby put in the fridge. I grabbed a can the next day and looked at it for about 3 minutes trying to figure out what it was. Finally gave it to hubby and discovered it was ginger ale. The can was so fancy that I couldn’t trust that it actually was just soda.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I think there should be a law that bottles and cans of anything containing alcohol should state that in LARGE LETTERS right on the front. And that they need to start putting Surgeon General's warnings on alcohol products, like they do with cigarettes. I don't understand why they don't - there's an absolute proven link between alcohol and cancer, along with a whole host of other awful health effects.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Not sure why this stuff is popular. I've tried it and it's just a zima shoot off that causes diarrhea immediately. I like my la croix and cucumber soleil...
Old 09-11-2019, 07:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Andddd guess what one of my sober social media friends posted about last night? You guessed it, this very topic.

It's everywhere.

Y'all are spot on about the Zima (in high school, we added cherries like putting limes in a Corona bottle) and wine cooler (anyone recall the Bartles & James crap of the 90s and the Boones Hill and the Jack Daniel's Wine coolers?) analogies.

I've already added something to post about in the 9 accounts I manage for our restaurant industry recovery group. Now I realize I need to check to see which of the restaurants/leaders are seeing (or serving) these in their cities.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I was reading an advertisement for White Claw the other day and a line in the ad read " White Claw is pure refreshment for your balanced, active lifestyle" LOL
Then there is the Four Lokos brand seltzer which is 14% ABV, almost three times as much alcohol as White Claw
Old 09-11-2019, 09:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JScatt View Post
I was reading an advertisement for White Claw the other day and a line in the ad read " White Claw is pure refreshment for your balanced, active lifestyle" LOL
Then there is the Four Lokos brand seltzer which is 14% ABV, almost three times as much alcohol as White Claw
I lived on 4Loko for several months. It was the hardest stuff my local market sold. Death in a bottle.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

A shortage? OMG! This is unthinkable. We can't have people being short of seltzer. Congress needs to do something about it.