Notices

Dual diagnosis anyone?

Old 09-08-2019, 03:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dual diagnosis anyone?

Hello, I am a long time sufferer of severe anxiety. I have been sober now 9+ months somehow. Longest ever. I am struggling a lot with anxiety and now depression. I’m going to meetings, working the steps. I just feel like lying in bed. Saw a Dr. who prescribed, but adding and changing meds have added now physical symptoms. I am just so down. I couldn’t handle life and my crazy brain and wound up with 4 years of severe alcoholism and legal consequences. Previously I had been a social drinker, at times a heavier one. Crossed the line big time very suddenly. I have kids, loads of stress, but it’s my mental heath that’s really a problem. I thought sobriety would make life easier but now I’m left with all the junk I drank over magnified. Can anyone relate. Also, congrats to the newcomer. I posted on these boards previously and could barely string together 10 days. Keep coming back!!!

Becca
Old 09-08-2019, 03:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think most alcoholics have dual diagnosis. You are doing very well 9 months sober.

Please do not try to drink your way out of stress and Deppression it will make your life much worse!
Old 09-08-2019, 03:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes I can relate. Many underlying issues are now at the surface and it's hard to wake up in the morning right now. But I'll fight on, sober, and maybe get out of this hole some time.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think many of us here drink due to anxiety and depression. I managed my anxiety/depression (barely) for years, but eventually things caught up with me and I began to drink to self-medicate. I do take an anti-depressant which helps with depression, but not the anxiety. I have found some really good books that help me:

Amen, Daniel Change Your Brain, Change Your Life
Bassett, Lucinda From Panic to Power
Burns, David MD When Panic Attacks
Chodron, Pema The Places that Scare You
Doidge, Norman MD The Brain that Changes Itself
Dyer, Wayne Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life
Orsilla, Ken Mindful Way Through Anxiety
Old 09-08-2019, 05:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yep. Dual here. Did two months of anxiety/ alcoholism partial hospitalization last year. I find meds really help with anxiety.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for your replies. It so tough getting through recovery, daily stress extremes, and mental issues that are severe. I’m so inpatient about meds and hate side effects. At the same time, I am surrendering to the fact my brain has issues and always has.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back LostLilly

D
Old 09-08-2019, 06:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes - depression/anxiety here too. I've been on various types of medication forever. My alcoholism clearly didn't help. I've been sober (again) almost 7 years after drinking through my divorce. I'm still finding that there is a lot of healing of various life issues to do for me - but I'm doing it sober. I read a ton of books, I have a strong faith in God, I go to 12-step meeting sporadically, I've done a lot of counseling, spend a lot of time outdoors and have recently moved to a state with a lot more sunshine and good weather (I previously lived in Vermont and now I live in Georgia). I LOVE SR and check in here often and have since 2013. I'm really glad that you are back
Old 09-08-2019, 10:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I take antidepressants but I had to keep going back to change the tablets, I think it takes the correct tablets for each individual to get the right ones and feel better, well done with 9 months that’s fantastic 👍
Old 09-08-2019, 11:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi!

I have suffered from OCD, anxiety disorder, and who knows what else.

First thing I have to tell you is that while you find the right medication it can be a little bit uncomfortable with the changing (to say the least). However, you have to give it time and trust your doctor in the process.

Being that said, having been a patient for over 16 years and meeting a lot of people with this depression, anxiety, OCD symptoms, I can tell you with a 100% confidence that things do get better.

By the way, alcohol just worsen my symptoms and made me even more miserable. So, I do believe you are on the right path.

Remember life always has its ups and downs, there is no constant state of happiness. Nevertheless, is way better to know that some problems are not caused because of your drinking. At least one can sleep at ease knowing that

Be strong, and it will be okay!
Old 09-09-2019, 05:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stable View Post
I think most alcoholics have dual diagnosis. You are doing very well 9 months sober.

Please do not try to drink your way out of stress and Deppression it will make your life much worse!
I think this is true. I saw a stat at one point that showed the percentage of alcoholics who drank because of anxiety and it was extremely high.

I assume it's because scientists now say that alcoholism is caused by a part of the brain that doesn't produce a certain chemical like normal people, something to do with GABA. Which can also be related to anxiety.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Me too, and now we have established that it is anxiety that presents the most.
When you begin looking into it, most alcoholics have a dual diagnosis, and/or symptoms of such like you describe.

My $0.02 on meds after about 2 decades of experience: many take, say, 2-4 wks to take full effect; the efficacy varies by person; some have side effects; and the absolute best piece of the puzzle is an excellent PSYCHIATRIST to navigate all of this to find the right one for each of us.

Keep going. Nine months is wonderful (and a statistical success mark for good reason) and it is truly early when you look at both our drinking AND a life of permanent sobriety. I, for one, was one of the "2 yr group" for the bulk of my issues to stabilize.