Notices

Will I ever get this right??

Old 09-08-2019, 11:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Will I ever get this right??

After a summer of debauchery, I come crawling back. The most success I've had in maintaining sobriety was when I used this site in conjunction with daily AA meetings. I got a sponsor recently and joined a home group. I think I need to treat recovery like a full-time job because the minute I let my guard down, I'll have a beer in my hand.

I have a long overdue appointment with my doctor this week and I am considering Antabuse. I am in my early 40's and can't live like this.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Recovery definitely needs to be treated like a full/time job. In fact it’s a life-time job. It has be worked. Applied, and lived every day. The rewards are fantastic though.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think you'll get it right when you finally decide that you are OVER living like this, and are willing to take every bit of advice you are given and put it into action. We are here with you.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I think I need to treat recovery like a full-time job
At least put as much effort into getting sober as you put into drinking.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Recovery is full time, much more so than a job. You can't cheat in recovery and get away with it.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Much more commitment than a full time job, a relationship...anything actually.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

WL, I remember you. We've both been on this site a long time now. I've done the work to get sober and given myself the life I knew I had denied myself for years. Are you willing to do the work?
Old 09-08-2019, 01:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you'll use the support here to get sober for good.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wishing you the best WL

Seems like you must be running out of relapses at this point.
I hope this time was the last time.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am far too old to have week long benders where I have no idea what I was doing. I lose phones, keys, wallets, not to mention spending money that I should be using for food/clothes/necessities. I can feel my mortality.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have done the same thing, WL. I have 12 days today! But, it's been a lot of relapses along the way. Every time I relapse, the coming back is that much harder. That's part of what is motivating me now. I've had to really pull out all the stops, do everything related to recovery.
I had a very hard time and almost drank tonight. I was sitting in the parking lot of the liquor store eating fried chicken, listening to a recovery podcast, and about to call a sober friend when it went "poof" and left. The wonderful feeling of knowing I didn't drink is worth that 30 minutes or so of struggle. I do want to get past that, though, to the point where it is not a struggle. I know there will always be work to do to stay sober, but it won't always be the battle with cravings.
I'm glad you're back! I look forward to hearing your plan for staying sober. It will help me build mine.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

glad you made it make - hope you make use of this opportunity. we don't get an unlimited number.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am also recovering from relapse. It’s not nice but needs to be used as a learning experience.

We are both on our 40’s old enough to know better and not losing our wallets in a blackout.

Our desire to get sober and the inner knowledge of the harm alcohol did to us will get us through to success eventually.

Good luck.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober369 View Post
I have done the same thing, WL. I have 12 days today! But, it's been a lot of relapses along the way. Every time I relapse, the coming back is that much harder. That's part of what is motivating me now. I've had to really pull out all the stops, do everything related to recovery.
I had a very hard time and almost drank tonight. I was sitting in the parking lot of the liquor store eating fried chicken, listening to a recovery podcast, and about to call a sober friend when it went "poof" and left. The wonderful feeling of knowing I didn't drink is worth that 30 minutes or so of struggle. I do want to get past that, though, to the point where it is not a struggle. I know there will always be work to do to stay sober, but it won't always be the battle with cravings.
I'm glad you're back! I look forward to hearing your plan for staying sober. It will help me build mine.

Well done. The good thing is the cravings really do get weaker and weaker and then just mostly disappear. What you did today to overcome the craving, the next time it hits, it will be weaker, and you will be even stronger. Then what is left eventually is the romanticising / idealistic view of drinking, which can be dangerous too of course, if complacency sets in, but they aren't as acute as cravings.

I can sit in a bar on a good day and I feel fairly comfortable without an alcoholic drink, and with no desire for a drink. I can go to the bar and order an alcoholic drink for a friend without it crossing my mind to get one for myself. Then again, sometimes I get bad days where drinking is more tempting, and then it's about protecting myself so I'm not in situations where I'm at risk of being tempted to drink.

It's is up and down, but the good days get more frequent and it really does get easier the longer it gets from the last drink. That's not to say that I want to sit in a bar much nowadays, especially for long periods, not really my scene.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You will eventually reach the point some of us got to: honestly can't do this anymore, stop fighting with booze, it always wins, I give up. Trouble is, so many dangers surround you in the meantime: accidents, health issues, mental illness; every binge at this point is a real crap shoot. I know because I was there. You have the power to stop this train wreck. I hope you do it soon.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's pretty simple to get it right but it's not always easy, at least in the beginning.

For me, once I accepted that my relationship with alcohol was toxic and I was better off not drinking at all, life got a lot better

the 20 years before that - trying to drink and not have any bad consequences - was utterly futile.

D
Old 09-09-2019, 07:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

So many things evolved and kept making sense as I began to view recovery as the backdrop of my life.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
nez

I treat recovery like breathing because the minute I let my guard down and stop breathing, things go sideways.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
nmd

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
The most success I've had in maintaining sobriety was when I used this site in conjunction with daily AA meetings. I got a sponsor recently and joined a home group. I think I need to treat recovery like a full-time job
Welcome back old friend. Sounds like you have a good start!
Old 09-09-2019, 09:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
So many things evolved and kept making sense as I began to view recovery as the backdrop of my life.
Yes this ^^^^