Notices

How to Write a Sobriety Plan?

Old 09-07-2019, 09:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to Write a Sobriety Plan?

Hello SR Community,

Do you have tips or ideas on how to write an effective sobriety plan? What kinds of things do you include? How have you structured yours -- did you use a template? Stuff like that.

Hope everyone is having a relaxing, sober Saturday!
Old 09-07-2019, 09:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I printed off the plan that Dee mentioned in one of her posts. I must admit, that it looks overwhelming, so I am breaking it down into bite-size pieces

https://web.archive.org/web/20180728...0/SMA-3720.pdf
Old 09-07-2019, 09:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow! Looking over that pdf, I see so many relatable warning signs of relapse. Thank you, Nightshade, I will start with this guide.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me I needed a daily routine. Exercise was critical, along with practicing gratitude & positive thinking. Approaching the inevitable downturns in a positive & productive way.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have also downloaded an app to my phone - it tracks my progress and gives 'inspirational quotes' on a daily basis
Old 09-07-2019, 10:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nightshade131 View Post
I have also downloaded an app to my phone - it tracks my progress and gives 'inspirational quotes' on a daily basis
Is the app called, "Fabulous?"
Old 09-07-2019, 10:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's called I Am Sober - it's free to download and has some apps which you have to pay for. I only got it today - it's my Day 1 :-(
It got good reviews
Old 09-07-2019, 10:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 1, Nightshade!
Old 09-07-2019, 10:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Pouncer, I have spent the whole day on here getting myself organised for the future
Old 09-07-2019, 12:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've never done this.

I have been a 12 Steps guy from the first day, because I went to a 12 Steps-based treatment center.

But working the 12 Steps has worked for me for quite a while.

I'll take a look at the one on archive.org.

When I'm on that website, I'm usually listening to a Grateful Dead show (Live Music Archives).
Old 09-07-2019, 03:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My start was:
Quit
Go to AA
Stay sober
Keep going to AA
Very short to-do lists: I was very sick, so there were things like 1 eat 2x 2 make the bed 3 shower. They grew, slowly.
Only spend time with a small (very small) circle of people - my parents for the first wks, other than...
Seeing a psych (and for me, medical drs were necessary)
90 days on Antabuse
Beginning to read, study and learn the BB as well as for a time, lots of books on personal stories of recovery
Anything to fill time when it dragged, I was crawling out of my skin, whatever - coloring books, Netflix, whatever
Getting back to work, and continuing to be employed in better scenarios

Repeat and keep adding things as I got more time.

This truly set my foundation for a life of recovery and at just past 3.5 yr I have seen my life grow, expand, evolve, and have found myself truly joyous, happy and free - and very grateful. I'd recommend all of this to anyone for sure!
Old 09-07-2019, 04:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This is my favorite topic. I am loving finding new ways to be comfortably sober and get through any triggers or cravings.
The plan on SR by Dee is great. It's full of ideas and information. I also love the chapter from The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober ( a book I love!) about 30 things that got her through the first 30 days.
Some of my favorite right now are:
Being grateful that I'm starting to feel better, and that I haven't had a drink.
Coming to SR and reading and posting
Recognizing my AV (addictive voice) and saying "NO" to it.
Avoiding negative thinking.
Eating three meals a day, especially one very early dinner. Also snacking when I want to. I'm saving a huge amount of calories not drinking beer, so I'm not worried about that right now.
Having phone numbers of sober people I can call.
Listening to recovery podcasts, especially on my way home from work. I like Recovery Elevator, but there are a lot more.
Having a sobriety tracker on my phone. It tells me how long I've been sober, how much money I've saved, how many drinks I've skipped (43 as of now) and health benefits.
I think I'm adding AA to my list. I have been to a couple of meetings recently and they helped. I just haven't stuck with going regularly.
I'm also doing things I like, letting myself rest a lot and not pushing myself.
I'd love to hear what others are doing.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I printed off the plan that Dee mentioned in one of her posts.
I'm a man

The recovery action plan links are great,
There's another one here

https://web.archive.org/web/20150927...SMA12-4474.pdf
Old 09-07-2019, 05:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

^^Great post Sober369 - I forgot to mention that my now husband and I did a shared sober app (we used SoberTime) and the money saved featuring was amazing!
Old 09-07-2019, 05:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I never wrote out a plan, per se. I just added it to my daily routine that I would go to my addiction counselor once a week and visit SR every day. I graduated from the counseling a few years ago but still come here daily to get and give support.

Last edited by least; 09-07-2019 at 05:52 PM. Reason: ya know, you really don't have to give a reason ;-)
Old 09-08-2019, 04:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ooops - sorry Dee!

[QUOTE=Dee74;7263771]I'm a man

Old 09-08-2019, 05:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

No worries

D
Old 09-08-2019, 10:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

so amazing in our day and age that we can have access to so many incredible tools!

I listen to tons of podcasts/read books on mindfulness/workout/meditate to a wonderful app called INSIGHT TIMER, then fall asleep to a deep sleep hypnosis on that same app/Go to AA every day and work with a sponsor and fellowship as much as I can/whatever else my soul craves at this time - currently a lot of spiritualism, Tao readings, quotes etc

You'll find what works and i am sure it will be ever evolving, this is a great thread!!!
Old 09-09-2019, 05:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I was glad to see this thread. I didn't realize people actually made their own plan. I have just been thinking in my head of things I could do as I move forward. Exercise is number one for me. I've let life take over and stopped making exercise a priority and I truly miss being able to zone out and sweat out the frustrations. And I always feel great afterwards, mentally and physically.

I also have a former hobby I haven't done much with in years that I'd like to take up again. There are also some mundane tasks around the house I could tackle to make myself more organized. The type of things that you always want to get done but always find something easier and more interesting to do, but yet if you did those things done it would make your life so much easier down the road. I actually look forward to that, running through these tasks that will occupy the brain and get something accomplished as well.

I would also like to try some kind of new hobbies or activities that would help me branch out of my usual lane(s). Not sure what yet, but thinking something creative would be interesting.

I figure it's a start and I should really start to look at my list as not just a list, but my sobriety plan. Like NicLin said, it's wonderful we have access to so many incredible tools in this day and age!
Old 09-12-2019, 07:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You didn't show up in the last days. I sincerely hope you're alright, Pouncer!