Notices

11 days and feeling BLAH

Old 09-06-2019, 04:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

11 days and feeling BLAH

I thought for sure by now I'd feel amazing. But my energy seems lower than when I'm drinking? Last weekend I did pretty well not WANTING to drink, but last night was very hard. If my husband would have said "lets have a drink" I may have given in. That makes me really sad.

I reached out to a long time friend yesterday about all this and to my surprise she is going thru the same thing!? We have so much in common and she said she's never spoke about her drinking either. To the outside world this woman is like a super hero, amazing family and sons.

Really hoping to find some strength to get thru this second weekend sober. I know it needs to come from me. I'll be here and reading my books all day......
Old 09-06-2019, 04:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi FND

yeah when I got sober I expected to feel instantly amazing too but I kinda forgot how many years I'd been drinking...

it's gonna tale a little while to feel amazing - but you will - as long as you stay in recovery

try and be patient - you're on the right track

D
Old 09-06-2019, 04:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You need your husband on your side so he doesn’t say “let’s have a drink”. Our partners don’t always realise what a battle we’re facing. Let him know, and you’ll have taken a huge step forward.

The first few weeks are pretty horrible with cravings and lack of sleep. It took me a month to feel good. Not wishing to sound like a bully, but there can be no “rewards” in that time or you’ll be back to day one. Bur believe me, you’ll feel better in a few weeks.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

11 days is amazing. And SO SO SO early.

I had no clue what to expect when I quit except dealing with how sick I was, especially physically. We don't like hearing it but it takes TIME, all of it.

Keep going. I do say "it gets better" and that means clarity, and physical and emotional and mental healing, and...
Old 09-06-2019, 05:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FitNonDrinker View Post
...I reached out .....
Keep reaching out, and not just to your friend. You'll need all the help you can get.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Every day is another opportunity for either healing or tragedy.

I know the choice I will make.

It took many months before I felt whole again. Like nearly a year.

Keep it going.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I remeber at about 4 months it started to get better, by 6 months even better and by a year I was back to being a fully functioning human again lol

Takes time
We didn't drink just 1 day so it takes many more to recover the physical body, the mind, and the spirit.
Continually working sobriety, getting through the BS and taking care of ourselves (ind, body, and soul) will help the process move along.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on beginning this very difficult process & getting through the early days, breaking the progression of drinking more & more over the years to come. I drank for 30 years & @ the end it was a quart of vodka every day, hands shaking from withdrawal after just a few hours without alcohol. It’s progressive & you’ve broken the cycle. As for reaping the benefits of sobriety that will take time but only if you continue NOT TO DRINK. I have exercised for 50 years, all through the daily pot smoking & then daily drinking. I was an instructor for 5 years as my first job in the city. Now at 59 & one plus year sober I am rewarded each morning when I step on that treadmill or hit the road for a run that my energy is the same each day. No wild swings from what the poison was doing to my body. Keep it going. I’m rooting for you.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How'd it go Fit?
Old 09-08-2019, 10:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Fit,

I know that my first two weeks, I bounced back and forth from being very high energy and then crashing and sleeping most of the days I had free. It was like I couldn't find my happy medium (whatever that is). But then I kept hearing that I needed to be extra gentle with myself, that my body is literally re-calibrating itself, readjusting and generally freaking out that I am no longer pouring a toxic liquid into it.

I am into my second month and still get these feelings, but the positivity, clear headed feeling and energy is getting stable. Give time time for this, rest when you need to, you'll get to a point where you feel wonderful!

Congrats on 11 days!
Old 09-09-2019, 12:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have just done my first month and thought that as soon as I stopped drinking I would be bouncing out of bed, be raring to go, full of energy, and exercising every day. Whereas, I found that I felt totally exhausted, had a headache every morning, and needed a sleep in the afternoon (not good when you are in a meeting :-) ), and could only do half of a group exercise class due to fatigue.

I then read that this is all normal and to bear with it. I have been eating nutritious food, staying hydrated, and resting as much as I can, in order to help my recovery.

I also thought that in order to stop drinking I would need to sort my sleep out, to sort my anxiety out, and to sort my boredom, agitation, an inability to relax out first. On the contrary, stopping drinking has enabled me to achieve these things. I cannot believe how much alcohol got in the way of things.

Well done on starting the process. It will and does get better.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Think of how much damage you've done to your brain and body with alcoholism. It takes time to repair and balance out the chemicals again. The first time I went through withdrawals, it took a solid month before I felt "normal" even though I still wasn't sleeping well.

A friend of mine who has been sober 10 years now said it took him over a YEAR for his sleep to be normal. It'll take time, just keep the faith and trust that things will work out if you stick with it.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hello there. Congrats on 11 days. Keep doing what your doing. This is a learning curve you will find out things about yourself that you never knew. But its a good thing. Stay sober my friend. Life Will be better. I promise you if you dont drink. Keep that ball and chain off your ankle at all cost. ✌
Old 09-09-2019, 02:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm still here, plugging along! We close on our new home this week so it's been super busy. All the distractions are nice. I'm feeling great!
Old 09-09-2019, 04:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Your body is drained of vitamins so it is normal to have lower energy in the first month....I hope you stick to it so you can feel the burst of energy and happiness that is possible if you can stay away from it.

I love being sober...
Old 09-10-2019, 07:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well done! It keeps getting better.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Closing in on 3 weeks right? And another weekend is approaching, any plans in case the beast comes shuffling out of the basement?