Notices

My life has no joy

Old 09-03-2019, 08:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My life has no joy

I can't remember the last time I was happy. I feel alone and untethered.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry you feel that way. Is this feeling before or after getting sober? Sorry I dont know what your status is. ✌
Old 09-03-2019, 08:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry that you feel so low. Happiness and joy were beyond my grasp when I was drinking, too. It took sobriety for me to be able to see clearly and to find the good things in my life.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

...and it not only takes sobriety Time like Anna says, it takes really working on changing the mindset from that negative to the positive. It doesn't just happen, it is a conscious process. Month by month, day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute I have to choose what to dwell on and how to look at life.

Have you thought about medications or therapy?

I started with a daily gratitude list. At the end of each day I wrote down three things for which I was grateful. Simple, free and effective.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Therapy, meditation, time in Nature and just being comfortable alone with myself helped.

Sometimes just being OK with unhappy works too over time.

Answer is not external. . . Sorry you are feeling so lost Press.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I will pray for you my friend. You will be blessed. And you will be happy. Are you willing?
Old 09-03-2019, 01:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Originally Posted by Pressmetilihurt View Post
I can't remember the last time I was happy. I feel alone and untethered.
Hey,

I had a very open conversation with my mother earlier and basically said exactly the same thing as you. I'd thought it before but didn't really understand the significance of it until those words came out my mouth.

I know it's difficult but try and be as social as you can, even if that's only online. Try to be in contact with people as much as you can stand. If you're anything like me that will be really difficult but it helps immensely.

There's no easy fix for the way you're feeling but there are things you can do to feel better. Stay in contact. Try and have a proper think about what you enjoy doing. Once you've figured that out see if you can take a night class or a taster session where theres no pressure but you get to meet people with the same interests.

From the bottom of my heart I wish you the best of luck with finding yourself. The feelings will pass. It may not feel like they will but they will go. Maybe not completely at first, but enough to give you some breathing space.

Natom.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I couldn't remember the last time I was feeling happy when I quit drinking either press.

In fact I thought unhappiness would be the price I paid for all those years of drinking.

In fact it was only about 3 months before my brain righted itself again and I began to feel happiness and even joy again.

3 months may seem a logn time, but if you're like me you have years to drinking.

Give recovery a chance to work Press - have faith in it

D