Notices

18 Days

Old 09-02-2019, 11:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

18 Days

On Day 18 here- this is as long a stretch of sobriety I’ve had in a while. I feel free, and for the most part I feel good.

I’ve firmly established a morning meditation practice. It’s only 10-12 minutes and guided using an app, but it’s very helpful. My sleep is markedly better in the last 2 nights. I’ve been eating better, more veggies and less fried stuff. Posting here today because my IOP Group isn’t meeting today because of the US Labor Day holiday.

I’m still quite tired during the day. I’ve been intending to get out for a long walk and some exercise but I’m just feeling lethargic. Did others have that at 18 days? Not sure if I should push myself or rest.

Mood wise, a bit cranky today. A bit down but no desire to drink. I think the naltrexone is still helping. Just wish I was springing out of bed with boundless energy and enthusiasm.

How was your Day 18? Do you remember? Please share.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No help here on eighteen days as that over ten years ago for me.
Sounds like you're doing very positive things for your recovery.
Remember, things will keep getting better and that you never have to drink again.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 18 days Pinnacle. I cannot remember exactly how I was but I remember thinking things were going OK and being really worried it would get harder and although it did get harder once or twice, mostly it didn't.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

At 18 days I was still heal mode. Whay your feeling is normal. The more sober time the more you are going to see and feel the difference. I'm at 121 days right now and wow😃 ✌
Old 09-03-2019, 02:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Pinnacle - I can't remember exactly either but your posts seems to have some familiar elements for me from that time...mosty the lack of energy and the mood swings...

hang in there - it gets better

D
Old 09-03-2019, 03:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PinnacleOR View Post

I’m still quite tired during the day. I’ve been intending to get out for a long walk and some exercise but I’m just feeling lethargic. Did others have that at 18 days? Not sure if I should push myself or rest.
At 18 days I was out walking relentlessly. Miles upon miles. I had to to keep sober. I needed the exhaustion and distraction.

If you really don't feel up to a long walk, go for a short walk instead. I think it will be good for you.

18 days is fab ~ keep going.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I do not specifically remember day 18 but I can recall the first month itself being a tough one. You are really doing great- be gentle and listen to the needs of your body. So happy for you and your new life ahead. You are free...
Old 09-03-2019, 07:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Day 19 now, been a long time since I got this far. Slept well last night, in fact overslept this morning but waking up clear headed is such a gift.

Beautiful weather, so I’m bringing walking shoes to work for a lunchtime walk. The exercise and sun on my face should help!

The one thing I’m a bit disappointed about is weight loss, or lack of it. I would have thought 19 days with 1300 less calories a day would show results, but I’m the exact same weight I was 19 days ago. I’m eating well, so how is that even possible? Food calories if anything have gone down with better food choices.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

A couple quick observations.

1. You sound immeasurably better than I was at day 18.

2. You said you were meditating “only 12 minutes”. That sound like negative self talk. Truth is, that’s more than a lot of us and if that’s what you can do today then that is excellent.

3. About the motivation to walk, yes, I had and continue to have that as well. Mainly because it’s so hot where I live but also because of low level withdrawal symptoms and low grade depression. Ironically, the walk would help depression, but that’s how that goes.

Anyway, you sound like you are doing great. Give yourself a hand, be kind to yourself and Kenyon the good work! You’re on your way
Old 09-03-2019, 09:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
nez

I was combination between... hopeful and scared sh**less,... wanting to communicate about how/ what I was feeling and be left alone,...exhausted and wound up,...over thinking and mindless,...basically, I was all over the place because it was all still so new.

My best bet at the time, although it eluded me, was to...trust the process, participate in the process, give the process permission to happen without my supervision.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

End of the day, made it through but man I was cranky today. Felt pretty good when I woke up but somewhere at work my mood shifted. I think it was when I received some critical feedback on an email I wrote, I blew it out of proportion in my mind and it set the tone for the rest of the day. I just didn’t want to talk to anyone, I wanted them to get out of my way and leave me alone.

No desire to drink though. Probably go to bed early and look to reset for tomorrow. I’d like my pink cloud now please.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on making it through day 19, Pinnacle. Yes, I remember those days and I can say my moods were all over the place, and I was exhausted, too. Listen to your body and let yourself rest, and know that the mood swings and irritability will pass -- and it's amazing when they do.

As for weight loss.... I thought the same thing as you, and in fact I barely lost anything until 7 weeks in... and then I lost 20 pounds in a month. The weight will come off... you just have to give your metabolism a chance to catch up

Keep going! That pink cloud is just around the corner (it hit around day 30 for me).
Old 09-03-2019, 07:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I wanted to go back and see what I was going through, this is what I wrote 3 days later at week 3:

3 weeks today - growing up
I've been very active on SR in 2018, after years of coming and going, drinking and "quitting", knowing deep down or maybe not all that deep down, that I needed to get alcohol out of my life for good.

As Nonsensical said on another thread today, it's amazing to me I kept it going for that long.

Been thinking this time, again, about responsibility, obligation, adulthood and how drinking subverts all that we are meant to be or can or should be. My son, my wife, my parents, my community, my co-workers, my fellow big city dwellers - everyone is injured, in minimal to maximal ways, by me giving into my addiction. Not to mention my self - the person I want to be, the person I wanted to be when I was my son's age.

I'm done with betraying myself.

I'm done with it for good. I'm never drinking again. I'm a guy who just doesn't drink.

It's amazing to me how simple the cure for this addiction is. What's not amazing is how hard it is to get to the point where it becomes clear - I know for myself and so many intelligent, good people on this site, that it takes years for most of us. If we get there at all.

And I'm no fool that there won't be times of weakness or suffering or just plain woe-is-me-ness. I have problems with the concept of permanent "recovery" but I do know that I will always have this demon inside of me and I'll be with it for the rest of my life.

But I'm feeling grateful this morning. Grateful that I don't have to drink today. Grateful that I have this crazy online community filled with people who are struggling or have struggled and want to get/be/stay better.

Grateful that I caught my self before it was too late. I've paid enough to the poison, I've got some paying back to do in the rest of my life.

Thanks again SR, could not have done it without you.