Notices

Back again 3rd time lucky??!!

Old 08-31-2019, 02:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again 3rd time lucky??!!

Hi all, I've posted here before, 1st time 2 yrs ago & again at the beginning of this year. What a surprise I'm here again after stupidly feeling I could moderate!! Well I can't, yet again. The longest I've stayed sober was for 6 months. I know I have a drink problem. I dont drink everyday but when I do (few times a week) I drink to get drunk & blackout. I drink because I argue with my husband, my kids play-up & I get bored. Is that really the drink that's caused these issues??? Maybe.
I just dont know where to start. I need to succeed this time, I'm starting to become more concerned about the potential health issues.
I'm still hiding bottles of booze round the house & my husband has no idea. I cant bring myself to tell him I've done it again, it's just so dishonest!! Any tips or advice would b greatly appreciated,
Thanks guys, Lou
Old 08-31-2019, 02:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome back.

Originally Posted by loulou1981 View Post
I just dont know where to start. I need to succeed this time, I'm starting to become more concerned about the potential health issues.
Then don't rely on luck. Being lucky won't get you sober. Commitment, a solid recovery plan, and action will.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ultimately I drank and would drink because I’m an alcoholic. There’s no reason for an alcoholic to drink just an excuse in my experience. All the best in your sobriety 🙏
Old 08-31-2019, 03:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Loulou- glad you are back with us!

Like carl said - we have to quit. That's the start, in a nutshell. As far as suggestions or advice, I'd immediately get rid of that liquor, don't drink today, and then begin a recovery plan or program or [ whatever you call it as diff folks here have other words! ] NOW.

Lots of support here- a significant part of my journey- but I needed and will always need IRL support.

I've never been more grateful for online and real life tribe support than now, after major back surgery yesterday. Like our wise least always says - gratitude is key and makes for a huge part of what you can find on the sober side.

You can do this- no luck involved. Start, daily choices, support!
Old 08-31-2019, 03:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Luck is not part of recovery. Recovery happens in the real world, and unlucky things will still happen in recovery. The joy in recovery comes from confidence in yourself, not the absence of real world issues.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dust your knees off and get it crackin you got this. One day at a time.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for u replies. Day 1 down. Came home got rid of the booze from the house & asked hubbie to keep his beer in the garage (dont drink beer anyway, but just want a booze free house) I've ordered a couple of books to read & have also decided I might try keeping a journal, something I have never done. Has anyone used any decent podcasts, I'm behind in the times & have never listened to 1!! Just saw some on the net & thought that might be a good plan??
I'm not discussing my sobriety with anyone yet, I just need a few days or weeks under my belt 1st
Old 08-31-2019, 12:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Loulou,

I'm glad you're back and good job on getting through Day 1. It's good to know you got rid of the alcohol in the house, too. It makes life easier. I didn't talk about my sobriety with anyone when I first stopped drinking either. I just focused on getting through each day.

We have a great book list compiled by our members that you might want to take a look at:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ependence.html
Old 08-31-2019, 01:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

lou lou, it's good you are now willing to try things you have not before. follow through is key! good job on getting the stash out of the house. it doesn't solve the drink problem, but NOT having booze on hand does make it just that much harder to drink on demand.

getting sober doesn't automatically solve all our problems, but it gives us the chance to face life clear headed and without a crutch. facing life rather than running from it.

no need on day one to start printing tee-shirts, lol. give time time. enjoy the podcasts. also speaker tapes from AA and NA. very easy to find.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hiya Lou....I wouldn't connect your drinking with anything going on around you, or other people; drinking has nothing to do with our surroundings. We drink.

I drank because I was sad, drank to celebrate success, drank when I made a home run, drank when I went oh-for-four, drank when I broke up with a girl, drank when I met a nice girl....you get the idea.

One of my 104 first cousins, who grew up on a farm in Nebraska, used to say, "Farmer drinks all summer because it's so hot; drinks all winter 'cause there's nothing to do."
Old 08-31-2019, 08:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Lou

so what are you going to do if or when those thoughts you can moderate come back? any ideas yet?

D
Old 09-01-2019, 01:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome back Lou

so what are you going to do if or when those thoughts you can moderate come back? any ideas yet?

D
Well my main issue will be NOT walking my trolley down the booze aisle in the supermarket, if I can do that I doubt I'd go back out for a bottle as it's not something I'd normally do. I know I need 2b careful not to pig out on chocolate when the cravings comes so I'm just gonna get some sugar free lollies & come here to post, I know the AV needs to be ignored fully!!
Old 09-01-2019, 03:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hello Loulu...I have found Recovery Elevator, The Bubble Hour and Recovery Revolution Podcasts helpful for me on my journey.