Notices

Just sharing a story

Old 08-30-2019, 07:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just sharing a story

I went out socially to a small gathering at a friends house. These friends are normal drinkers so I never worry when I’m with them. One friend knows I’m an alcoholic and I have not shared my reasons with the other friend. She’s always been supportive, never asked invasive questions.

After awhile into our visit, she went to get wine while I was getting a soda and she asked if I was still not drinking. I told her yes and she then started to tell me about her sister in law who’s in AA and was “really bad” and some details. She then totally stopped herself to profusely apologize and tell me that she didn’t think that of me. She was so uncomfortable. All I could do was smile, tell her it was ok, and ask her to continue her story.

And it was ok. A few months ago, my reaction would have been defensive and negative. But it wasn’t. Because I am an alcoholic.

There are so many shares about recovery being a constant journey of growth and reflection. I think this is my growth. This is my reality and my definition. And it’s ok.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

People always want to tell you about the alcoholics in their lives. I'm glad it didn't upset you

D
Old 08-30-2019, 08:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Love it.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah. I get “well you weren’t like so and so.”

Well, actually I was. You just didn’t see it.

My husband gets quiet when people say I wasn’t as bad as “the others.” He’s seen things go down.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I get asked if I'm still not drinking . and I proudly say yes I am still not drinking. And they say good for you. And walk away chugging their beer. Lol. I know I have an impact and get folks wondering and asking how do I do it. And I say I didnt do it someone greater than me did it. ✌