Notices

Almost 2 Years Sober

Old 08-29-2019, 08:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost 2 Years Sober

Its been awhile since I have logged into this site. I remember how difficult life was the first several months of sobriety. I didnt know how to live sober..even though I knew I had to stop drinking ..my relationship was falling apart, i couldnt sit still or relax, my thoughts raced, my anxiety was at an all time high every day nearly..this was all while getting sober. I was told many years ago by a therapist i never developed healthy coping mechanisms. I came to the realization that statement was very true. I am nearly 2 years sober now. Wow, 2 years goes by so quickly. 2 years of not waking up daily feeling like crap. 2 years of not being a slave to alcohol. 2 years of getting to know who I really am. I think I stopped drinking initially to prove that I could do it...but here I am now. This last year has been one of the most difficult ones i have had in probably 15 years...full of heartbreak and stress..but I did it sober. The funny thing is I think I numbed my feelings for so long with alcohol, i never really felt much. This last year, i have felt, i have cried, and i have even laughed a little...thanks for reading.😊
Old 08-29-2019, 08:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on nearly two years sober! It does get better. My worst day sober is a thousand times better than my best day drunk.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I heard someone say in a meeting once, "The good news is I have an emotional life now; the bad news is I have an emotional lilfe now."

!!
Old 08-30-2019, 01:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations. I am almost exactly the same. My 2 years is on Oct 22nd. It has been a journey with some ups and downs and I was confused and depressed at the start. It is now normal to be sober and emotionally aware. This has it's challenges but is definitely much better than being sedated through drink and/or hungover. All the best to you.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by b0glerd69 View Post
Congratulations. I am almost exactly the same. My 2 years is on Oct 22nd. It has been a journey with some ups and downs and I was confused and depressed at the start. It is now normal to be sober and emotionally aware. This has it's challenges but is definitely much better than being sedated through drink and/or hungover. All the best to you.
yes i agree, anything beats being hungover! I dont miss those days at all. Congrats on nearly 2 years! Thats a huge accomplishment!😊
Old 08-31-2019, 06:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I am pretty clean as well. I totally agree.

My emotions are normalizing for sure. No real crazy lows like before, but the highs seem to be better.

Yesterday I was so happy watching reruns of survivor. I was laughing out loud at times.

I look forward to all of the activities I get to do with less burdens. After i quit i was riddled with spacial disorientation. It lasted so long, but I could feel it getting better.

This brain damage has lessened over many months and years now. I don't think my brain healed, I hope it did. I can tell though that if I relapse, this will come right back. I can feel it in the back ground.

So, in a way, i am lucky to have that relapse parole state. 1 slip and boom, in disorientation prison.

If I didn't have that issue I am positive I would still be drinking.

Much respect to those that have no long term damage and have the will power to never slip and become a drunk again.

Thanks.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Way to go sobriety

D