Notices

The Hijacked Brain

Old 02-11-2020, 05:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

57 years of life on this planet and 37 years of life spent addicted to something; unfortunately, or...maybe fortunately, when I finally became fully addicted and dependent on alcohol, I had to address past issues and the way that I responded. I did not have to dig deep and go thru traumatic re-experiences, but instead, just had to accept what I knew happened and move on, as some would say. That simply was and is not who I am, so in fact, there has not been some magical formula that 'cured' me. A brain disorder accompanied by another brain disorder (AUD), typically does simply go away -until you introduce non-addicting, brain-altering chemicals, that change the way your brain receives and perceives your life differently. Talk therapy and group meetings are good things, but for the most part, never end up helping the brain help the spirit feel things differently. When the brain becomes hi-jacked by past experiences and/or addictive substances, it requires some form of physical re-wiring -in my opinion. Do your research.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cmart63 View Post
Back to square 1,133 for me Dee. Actually, life has been going along quite well, and sometimes, quite well presents challenges for me. If I would/will be more honest with myself, even if not to anyone else, I really would be in a position to be more authentic and feel free.
Quite well was a challenge for me also. I came to a point where I had to get over that and get over me.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:59 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made it back cmart

For me it was like taping over a cassette tape or a video cassette...(I'm your vintage)
eventually there's only the new programme and no trace of that original corrupted programme.

To be honest I've seen people do it a variety of ways - some do it with meetings and Higher Powers, some do it with the assistance of meds. I just threw a lot of hard work and determination at the problem.

I changed my life - I had to because my old life was all about drinking.

It might sound like a monumental task to do that, but I honestly found it easier than continuing to drink.

D