Notices

Introducing Myself

Old 08-26-2019, 06:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Introducing Myself

Goodmorning to you all,

I wasn't sure where to post this intro as I'm not really a "newcomer to recovery." In fact, my recovery journey started way back in 2006. Since then I've had chapters of 3 plus years sober, and some really horrible relapses.

I guess that is my pattern but right now I'm in a relapse. I want to break this pattern as I see and feel the direct connection between alcohol and my anxiety and depression.

I am pretty alone these days...divorced, my kids in college, so I drink alone. That has always been my pattern really, since I've been abusing alcohol to escape feelings. Last night I had a nice lunch with a sober friend, felt good but talked myself into stopping at the store and buying a large bottle of wine and drinking the whole thing. This is the pattern...I drink 4/5 nights per week, usually at least four glasses, sometimes a bottle or more and black out. It's no way to live.

I have a lot of real stressors in my life. Being anxious and hungover/tired half the time does not help. I am looking forward to connecting with some people on the same journey here. While I'm not a big "day counter" it does help me to get some sober time under my belt...so today is day 1.

Sober13
Old 08-26-2019, 06:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome, Sober13 - we're so glad you found us. This is a friendly, encouraging place. I had been drinking many years when I found it. I wasn't sober at the time, but after reading & posting here I found the strength & courage to change my life.

You are never alone - and we all understand how you're feeling as you begin your sober journey once again. You will do it, and we'll help.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In order to get sober and remain sober each day
moving forward in my life, I had to be taught about
addiction and recovery from folks who themselves
learned themselves, to teach me.

Once I became openminded with willingness and
over time complete honesty with myself and others
around me, then the process to remain sober and
achieve many of life gifts soon became true.

This journey in recovery/sobriety begins by
building a strong solid foundation with one step
at a time. It wont be build over night as it takes
using a toolbox filled with many important recovery
tools we use in everyday life.

To know that you, we, us never have to got thru
this process alone or by ourselves is comforting.

Using SR as one of your recovery lifelines as
you begin building your own foundation in
recovery to live upon can be one of those useful
tools to begin filling your tool box with as you
embark on a journey in life happy and free from
addiction.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Really nice to meet you. You will find SR to be very supportive. Great people here. John
Old 08-26-2019, 06:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober13 View Post
I wasn't sure where to post this intro as I'm not really a "newcomer to recovery." In fact, my recovery journey started way back in 2006. Since then I've had chapters of 3 plus years sober, and some really horrible relapses.

I guess that is my pattern but right now I'm in a relapse. I want to break this pattern as I see and feel the direct connection between alcohol and my anxiety and depression.
Hi and welcome!
I'm glad you're looking to get sober. Congrats on day one!

I wanted to gently mention that I would really encourage you to think of yourself as a newcomer to recovery. Something hasn't been working, I suspect. Going in with the attitude of being a newcomer might help you change things enough to try a different approach.

What were you doing besides not drinking? For some people, that's enough, but many of us (myself included) had to make some pretty significant changes to fully recover. Drinking is just the tip of the iceberg...

Anxiety and depression can be caused by drinking and they're definitely exacerbated by drinking. I had problems with both and they've become much, much more manageable with sobriety. But they can't be treated when we're drinking.

There's a much better life ahead.
Good wishes to you.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Sober13!

I'm glad you are here looking for support. I turned to alcohol to self-medicate anxiety and depression and that was a huge mistake. Of course, it made everything much worse. I think you will be able to find more healthy ways to deal with anxiety and depression when alcohol is no longer in your life.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

welcome
Old 08-27-2019, 05:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You ARE a newcomer, and this folder is a good place to be. Join us in life long sobriety, and stop doing this to yourself. You deserve more.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hi, S13. You can post anywhere you feel comfortable. I'd consider you to be a newcomer with a lengthy resume full of experience that will be helpful this time around.