Notices

I'm Detoxing At Home Cold Turkey

Old 08-24-2019, 02:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I'm Detoxing At Home Cold Turkey

Hey guys,

I've been in and out of these forums for years. And on my last few visits I posted that I was planning to quit and get back to my recovery.

That never happened.

It's been just over 24 hours since I had my last opiate painkiller. I'm going cold turkey at home which is something I wouldn't recommend if you have other options.

I don't have other options.

I stocked on up paracetamol (tylenol to you American folk), ibuprofen, promethazine for sleep, and multiple vitamins. I also stocked up on muscle rub and heat/freeze sprays. I've also got a very large stock pile of loperamide (immodium). By chance I've come into some ambien which is helping me sleep through a lot of it. I've also got a wonderful fan that's making me feel more comfortable.

So how do I feel? Not brilliant but much better than I expected. What I'm experiencing now is nothing compared to the last cold turkey I tried. Maybe it's because I planned this. Maybe I'm going to feel like hell tomorrow. I guess I'll find out either way.

I'm going to be using this post as a support thread as I have no-one else to turn too.

Thanks

Natom
Old 08-24-2019, 02:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
not a greeter

It sounds as though you’re prepared and know what expect but please be careful and don’t hesitate to call or get to the ER if you need to. Having this thread is a good place to get personal support and as reference for the future of your recovery and reading or posting in other threads may help your head too. Stick around .
Old 08-24-2019, 03:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry the last attempt never happened Tom, but I'm glad you seem determined this time.
I'd be very wary about acquiring pills from anyone but your doctor but that's your call in the end I guess.

Will you be going back to NA as well?

D
Old 08-24-2019, 05:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Tom,
I always wondered what tylenol was!

Hang in there and good to meet you

Warm wishes
Lucinda (UK)
Old 08-24-2019, 05:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back! It sounds like you're prepared, and I hope things go as well as possible. I hope that you keep posting.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I quit booze cold turkey after about 2/3 a bottle of wisky.

It sucked for a long time but i decided i didn't want to die directly addicted.

I didn't realize how bad i was until around 80 days clean and thought i was losing my mind.

I hear opiate detox can be tougher than booze.

Suffering, prayer and a million other things have kept me clean this far.

By any means necessary.

Thanks.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hang in there, be safe and don't be afraid to call emergency !! Will be sending thoughts and prayers your way!
Old 08-24-2019, 06:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don’t know anything about opiate withdrawals, but I hope it all goes well for you!
Old 08-24-2019, 06:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i'm routing for YOU....you can do this....I don't know what an "opiate" withdrawal is like...but I do know what withdrawal is like and it sux...and I hope you and your "toolbox" of medications can help you get thru this...
Old 08-24-2019, 10:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You can do this, Tom! I'm glad you're back and ready to get clean. We're here for you!
Old 08-24-2019, 11:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Don't know what these withdrawals feel like but as long as you are monitoring yourself, I am glad you are making the choice to quit.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello there! This is a great post.

As some of the other people above said, I do not know what opiate withdrawals are like, but they got to suck. However, if you feel too bad at some point do go to the ER or call a doctor.

You'll get there and get better!
Old 09-01-2019, 11:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Well I'm not dead. I lasted about 36 hours before it all got too much. One of the downsides of living in a country where you can get a bottle of codeine at the pharmacy for less than £4 ($5).

However, I wasn't in as much pain as I thought I would be. The physical withdrawals didn't make me use but the psychological ones did. I ended up getting some Nurofen Plus which has hardly any codeine in it but it helped take the edge off. Then I managed to get hold of some extended release morphine and liquid morphine with nothing else in it. I also acquired some subutex and then some codeine pills.

I've realised that I'm going to need to do this in the opposite way to how I planned it. I'm going to NA on Tuesday night and then I'm gonna taper down slowly with the help of the subutex I acquired. If I had someone to call I think I would have got through it.

Thats the one thing I was missing, just the support. Someone to speak to. No-one knew I was doing it. My ex messaged me mid way through but I quickly put a stop to that conversation.

So plan is using the subutex, NA on Tuesday, drop-in on Wednesday to look at opiate replacement options then Thursday, Friday, Saturday NA. We'll see how it goes.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I hope you follow thru on that plan!
Old 09-01-2019, 12:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
I hope you follow thru on that plan!
Well that's the plan. But, you know what addicts are like with plans. Last weekend was my only serious attempt to get clean in five years. Everything else has been half-cocked. I spent weeks planning it and getting stuff.

Initially I was really disappointed in myself but then I realised that I should take what I learnt from my experience and work with it. Ergo the above plan. It's really my only option now.

Can't afford rehab. I can do opiate replacement therapy providing it doesn't affect my job. The one solid thing I know I can do is meetings. Then it's just getting my procrastinating arse motivated, off the couch and in the car.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Glad your ready to go again. Never ever give up trying Natom, success is just waiting for you.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Glad your ready to go again. Never ever give up trying Natom, success is just waiting for you.
I've been there before. I've had periods of clean time from a few months upto 2 years. But, the last 5 years have been really bad and I haven't really tried to get clean.

I've got this major obsession with being clean by the time I turn 30 and that's in about two months. It's all I can think about.

Natom
Old 09-01-2019, 01:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Natom View Post

I've got this major obsession with being clean by the time I turn 30 and that's in about two months. It's all I can think about.

Natom
That's your motivation right there.

Don't think. Do.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
That's your motivation right there.

Don't think. Do.
You knows it fam. I've just planned out the coming week with locations of meetings etc. I'm gonna start going to them again whilst I figure out the best way to detox/taper etc
Old 09-01-2019, 03:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Natom,

You're in the South East I see, not miles away from me then..

Have you tried Smart recovery? https://smartrecovery.org.uk/meetings/