Notices

Slipped up

Old 08-24-2019, 01:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeABetterMan View Post

Yes, this. I can’t. For me, I’ve always been playing Russian roulette but it used to be with one bullet in the gun, now there are five. EVERY TIME I DRINK, something regrettable happens. Fights, words are said, cops, injuries, anxiety, heart palpitations. Alcohol won. It beat me. I fought a hell of a fight. I lasted 20 years longer than most. But it won. It’s like stepping into the ring with Mike Tyson night after night after night. I just can’t and that’s the way it is.
Well yeah there is that too. You put yourself in horrible danger each time. A day or two ago some vile landlord managed to pinch my arm leaving a massive bruise, obviously trying to get me into a confrontation, so he'd get me locked up. Didn't even feel it at the time thankfully. I'm no saint but I'm also not vindictive, but makes you realise real danger.

Guy also tried to get me locked up on a horrible unfounded charge I'm not even going to mention. Dragged me to a police station and of course police immediately dismissed it. He's quite lucky I'm not a violent drunk.

All this wouldn't have gone down if I wasn't stupidly drunk though.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by FreshStartOk View Post
What are you guys thoughts on moderation? There are some very controversial school of thoughts and people who teach it.

I tend to unfortunately think once an alcoholic always an alcoholic. It started with AA in early last century, and I think it sticks because it's overwhelmingly true.

Just a thought with long term sobriety in mind.
I made my experience pretty plain higher up in the thread FSO.
I can't do it.

Once I start to drink, alcohol changes me.

I can take that first sip with all the good intent and noble willpower in the world but sooner or later (exclusively sooner the more years I drank) I was back to square one, drinking all day every day.

Sadly I can't stop other people thinking they might be able to do it - that's the relentless quality of this alcoholic condition - but I know I can't.

D
Old 08-24-2019, 02:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Sadly I can't stop other people thinking they might be able to do it - that's the relentless quality of this alcoholic condition - but I know I can't.

D
I don't about that. You're fermenting the idea in my mind. I probably knew it already, but it helps hearing other people talk about it.
Old 08-24-2019, 02:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Stop fighting your addiction own it . It is only by surrendering that we are finally free. When ever I went out for a few beers which was everyday , I couldn’t stop. My brain is damaged it doesn’t tell my body to stop . It’s never different. It gets better
Old 08-24-2019, 02:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm long term sober (going on 10 yrs) and the desire to drink is gone. I so rarely think of it, and when I do, the thought is just thankful I don't drink anymore.

As far as moderation goes, it's easier for me to not drink at all. Besides, I'm quite happy sober so don't want to mess that up by drinking.