Notices

Anxiety. Benzo withdrawal.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety. Benzo withdrawal.

Day 70 clean and sober off alcohol and cocaine but day 2 off of benzos.... man... feels like I am back at day 1 for everything all over again. Anyone have any suggestions I can try for anxiety?
Old 08-22-2019, 12:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratz on 70 day free. By accounts here benzos are basically alcohol in pill form. Eating and moderate exercise are best relievers in my experience, even when you don't feel like it.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was on a very high doseage.... been doing a doctor prescribed taper of them in a treatment centre this whole time.... just finally did the final wean off a couple days ago
Old 08-22-2019, 12:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

FS
= Im not defending them, theyre ******** and so hard to get off of..... but my addiction was to alcohol and cocaine. I never ate a benzo and craved another benzo. My tolerance to benzos was strictly physical dependence.... never ate a benzo and went out and did something crazy.... not EXACTLY alcohol in pill form... and i wouldnt say that i was drinking for the last 70 days 🤦*♀️
Old 08-22-2019, 01:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well no you're obviously going in the right direction! I guess what they meant is benzos can be as harmful as booze if abused. They are anxielitics though, they temporarily make you chilled like alcohol.

Having not exercised since high school, I have been finding exercise does naturally chill you out a hell of a lot. But maybe that's down the road. Anxiety from detoxing is bloody horrible admittedly.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MJ1987 View Post
FS
= Im not defending them, theyre ******** and so hard to get off of..... but my addiction was to alcohol and cocaine. I never ate a benzo and craved another benzo. My tolerance to benzos was strictly physical dependence.... never ate a benzo and went out and did something crazy.... not EXACTLY alcohol in pill form... and i wouldnt say that i was drinking for the last 70 days 🤦*♀️
Everyone's experience is different. I know I have eaten benzo after benzo, blacked out, woken up to some dumbness I did.

What's worked better than nothing for me is exercise and mindfulness.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

TIPS FOR DEALING WITH ANXIETY (the American Assoc for Anxiety & Depression)

Take a Time-Out. Try some yoga, listen to music, meditate, get a massage or learn relaxation techniques. Stepping back from the problem can help clear your head.

Eat well-balanced meals. Do not skip any meals. Keep healthful, energy-boosting snacks on hand. Limit caffeine.

Get enough sleep/rest. Exercise daily to help you feel good and maintain your health. Use an iPod or exercise buddy to help you stick to your routine.

Take deep breaths. Inhale and exhale slowly. Belly-Breathing: Sit comfortably with shoulders, head and neck relaxed. Breath in slowly through your nose so that your stomach expands. Tighten stomach muscles, letting them fall inward as you exhale slowly through your mouth.

Do your best. Instead of aiming for perfection, which isn’t possible, be proud of however close you get.

Accept that you cannot control everything. Put your stress in perspective: Is it really as bad as you think?

Welcome humour. A good laugh goes a long way.

Maintain a positive attitude. Make an effort to replace negative thoughts with positive ones.

Get involved. Volunteer or find another way to be active in your community, which creates a support network and gives you a break from everyday stress.

Learn what triggers your anxiety. Is it work, family, school or something else you can’t identify? Write in a journal when you’re feeling stressed. Look for a pattern.

Talk to someone. Tell friends/family you’re feeling overwhelmed and let them know how they can help. Talk to a professional.

Books

Amen, Daniel Change Your Brain, Change Your Life
Bassett, Lucinda From Panic to Power
Burns, David MD When Panic Attacks
Chodron, Pema The Places that Scare You
Doidge, Norman MD The Brain that Changes Itself
Dyer, Wayne Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life
Orsilla, Ken Mindful Way Through Anxiety
Old 08-22-2019, 04:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

HI MJ.

were the benzoes through a doctor? I'd go back to them if so - they may suggest another route other than cold turkey?

D
Old 08-22-2019, 08:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes they were prescribed by a doctor.... so was the taper schedule which i followed. I do have to be off them to get into this secondary stage treatment house where i will be for 90 more days so I am pushing myself! Just still an uncomfortable withdrawal..... was wondering if any tips to deal with that is all.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had to log in for this one.

Benzos are NOT alcohol in pill form.

They do hit some of the same receptors making an alcohol detox more comfortable.

They are also the only thing Im aware of that will stop a full blown panic attack once its in full swing.

Annas suggestions are awesome and I try to practice them.

However those prone to attacks need to be vigilant about their self care, environment etc.

The thing about benzos is they work. Very well. But if you take them away your body has a rebound effect.

I liken it to jose conseco who took so many steroids during his playing years his body literally lost its ability to produce them on its own.

If you need them, take them but ONLY under a doctors supervision.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience with benzoes MJ.
I was just wondering if you'd been working with a doctor or not - Thanks for the reply.

People are certainly free to share their experience, in a responsible way

D
Old 08-23-2019, 06:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Trying to understand the complete wean from benzos?
I know you said you were on a high dose.
Whats wrong with continuing on a lower dose to keep your anxiety in check?
Why is your Dr removing them completely?

I take a benzo a low dose 3x a day...without it my Drs know I am at a higher risk for drinking alcohol...I have been on the same dose for over 14 years and will continue with them for the rest of my life because I am someone that has a high anxiety health issue...which is why I was drinking to begin with.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just keep going MJ, you'll feel better soon.

Anna has great suggestions above, and I agree that a healthy meal plan with low sugar and low caffeine combined with some moderate exercise - preferably outdoors - were the best natural relief for me while coming off benzos, alcohol, tobacco.

Keep it going, it gets so much better.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks all!! I really appreciate the advice.
Honestly I wish i could stay on a low dose to answer those who asked but I am trying to get into this secondary stage treatment centre (and unfortunately its the only one like it in my geographical area where I can see my son ) and they require i test negative for all drugs including benzodiazepines to go there.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You're going to be really glad in the long-view once you're off them for a while. In the meantime it's just uncomfortable.

I had success with breathing exercises and tapping (which sounds kind of woo, but it worked for me.) Look for Jessica Ortner "how to tap" on Youtube. It's just accupressure.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I feel like benzos have been vilified the same way opiates have been.some people do use them responsibly for the condition they were prescribed to treat it's the abusers who have caused such an uproar that people with true conditions suffer cuz it makes them very hard to get
Old 08-23-2019, 09:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

M, it sounds like a tough road right now, but good for you for working towards the secondary stage treatment center. You're doing the best thing for yourself and your son.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
AA Member

and they require i test negative for all drugs including benzodiazepines to go there.
it gets better!

ODAAT

One Day At A Time

God Bless

Old 08-23-2019, 06:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks all!! I really appreciate the advice.
Honestly I wish i could stay on a low dose to answer those who asked but I am trying to get into this secondary stage treatment centre (and unfortunately its the only one like it in my geographical area where I can see my son ) and they require i test negative for all drugs including benzodiazepines to go there.
Ah! I totally understand this because I let a girl stay with me who was prescribed MANY drugs...I tried to take her to a place to rebuild her life..its called AMOS house..here in Providence Rhode Island...they take in people addicted to drugs and help them live...find new jobs...apartments....

They would not take her because she refused to stop Riddilin (prescribed) and then one day she "caved" her life was at such a bottom she decided to stop to get in that program.

I wish you the best in that program...and you are amazingly brave to do all of this for your son....because you are suffering...but still trying to do this for your son....that is admirable.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I would definitely go to a doctor....benzo withdrawal is nothing to mess with. I did alcohol detox back in 2016 and they gave me benzos...but I did them after getting out too and coming off them was hell. Couldn't even drink a glass of water without violently shaking.

Congrats on 70 days alcohol free!