Notices

Liver check - results

Old 08-21-2019, 06:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Liver check - results

I had a private liver fibroscan check yesterday. This test, which takes 10 minutes, sends electrical pulses through the liver to check its stiffness and fat content. The liver can become stiff from fibrosis and scarring (cirrhosis) caused by a number of medical conditions but also alcohol use.

Before I talk about the results, it’s relevant to give my background. I’m 50 and drank a bottle of wine a day for around 15 years. I was very overweight and had nasty aches and pains under my right ribcage. I cut down on drinking and lost around 40lbs to become slim, but an ultrasound diagnosed a mild fatty liver. The pains were still there albeit less often, and I was still drinking half a bottle of wine per day.

This was my first fibroscan, and the results were good. The stiffness of 7KPa is normal, and the amount of fat was classified as zero. The ultrasound test which saw fat was eight months ago. Whilst you can’t compare ultrasound with fibrosis results, that eight months of sobriety has allowed my liver to fully recover.

But I don’t like this message. Our livers are too kind to us. A heavy drinker could in theory take a few weeks or months off, in which time their liver MAY heal, allowing them to start again. Note that a lived with fibrosis or cirrhosis won’t heal as these conditions are irreversible.

My concern is that the rest of the body isn’t so forgiving. Heavy drinking hugely increases cancer risk as well as the well-publicised heart and diabetes problems. I guess the message is it’s never too late to quit, but do so before any serious damage starts.

As drinkers and ex-drinkers, we have a higher cancer risk than non-drinkers. Not much an ex-drinker can do about that, but as my results above show, there’s a lot to be gained by quitting totally.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I used to respond to good test results with celebratory drinks...until I realized that my drinking was anything but celebratory no matter what test results told me.

Congratulations on getting a good liver report!
Old 08-21-2019, 07:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I see pictures of me from the last 20 years. I looked pretty healthy.

I talk here about how I was a dead man walking yet the week I quit, I was training for a grappling tournament.

I really started to feel hell on earth after about 2 weeks. Then it ramped up.

At about 3 months clean I was healthier, but I had trouble standing without bracing at times. I was still doing grappling.

That is why I am sure I had some ptsd or Paws. I don't know and I am positive a dr. Wouldn't have either.

My last visit to the dr. Came back positive as well.

I am sure I would have ended up prescribed some sort of anti somthing.

Glad I hung in there.

Congrats.

Thanks.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Misssy2 View Post
I used to respond to good test results with celebratory drinks...until I realized that my drinking was anything but celebratory no matter what test results told me.

Congratulations on getting a good liver report!
Thanks. I did that a couple of times in the past, i.e. revert to old habits after a good medical reports. The doctor did say I could tone up my belly a bit as that central fat isn’t good for the liver.

I had to laugh as I’m quite slim and toned elsewhere, but that’s a good doctor report - good but could do better 😀
Old 08-21-2019, 11:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I actually did the opposite when I got a good report from doc. Now I want to keep it that way. And that I'm doing 110 days and counting 😃
Old 08-22-2019, 12:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for this Hodd. Greatly appreciated.

I am 58 and have drank 10 units (or there about), daily in the evening for the past fourteen years. Prior to that, I was abstinent and physically fit for 14 years. Then someone forced a glass of wine on me at a Christmas party....."go on, one glass won't do you any harm".

In the past few years I have gone from normal weight to overweight, and then just over obese. My husband died two and a half years ago and I lost some weight then, but am still overweight, and carry it round my midsection, which is not good health-wise for a woman (or a man).

Tomorrow will be day 14 and I am getting a full blood screen done - liver, kidneys, diabetes, thyroid, full blood count, B12, cholesterol, etc. I will let SR know when I get the results.

I am glad your results are OK, and am with you on the message of the health risks associated with heavy drinking.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
That is why I am sure I had some ptsd or Paws. I don't know and I am positive a dr. Wouldn't have either.
D122y, I have been reading about PAWs and am definitely suffering from it.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Badga View Post
Tomorrow will be day 14 and I am getting a full blood screen done - liver, kidneys, diabetes, thyroid, full blood count, B12, cholesterol, etc. I will let SR know when I get the results.

I am glad your results are OK, and am with you on the message of the health risks associated with heavy drinking.
Thanks Badga, hope your results are good too. I’m 50, but I drank about the same amount for the same time, so even if your results aren’t great this time, give it six months or so. My liver showed its appreciation. Yours will too.

I know what it’s like going from 10 units a night to zero. You will have had a restless 14 days - I never want to go back to feeling like that - so hang in there. My urge to drink has been I would say 95% non existence for months. Keep going 🙂

P.s. And please do post the results, Badga, it’ll be inspiring for others who are maybe drinking a bit too much and want to see the doc. It’ll show there’s no disgrace or shame in drinking too much - alcohol tastes great and makes us feel better, but it’s just so unhealthy ☹️ - and that doctors are sympathetic.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Same here. Almost 10 months sober at 286 days. 53 a guy drank heavy mainly wine daily since 18. My liver is as healthy as a non drinker now. My ALT, AST levels were frightening now perfect. I have lost 28 KG, had liposculpture on my stomach and flanks in June. I look physically the best since my 20's. Mentally I feel sharp and in a good place. I prefer sobriety full stop. Looking and feeling good is such a motivator in itself. Eating clean and walking and meditating with yoga is a complete turnaround than what I was doing 10 months ago. Good work and keep going !
Old 08-22-2019, 09:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hodd, I am really pleased your results were good.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks, us ex-drinkers have been given a huge second chance.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am lucky too.... i have no idea how my liver is still normal after such abuse! Time to celebrate by.... definitely treating it well going fwd!
Old 08-23-2019, 04:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Originally Posted by Badga View Post
D122y, I have been reading about PAWs and am definitely suffering from it.
Yes. We are in this together.

Dr.s will give folks meds for it. Anti this and that. But, I chock it up to sober life after half a lifetime of drinking.

I still get weird anxiety sometimes, but then it goes away. When I first quit, for over a year, it was very scary at times.

Nobody but sr and God knew luckily. Sometimes I felt like I was going to collapse.

I feel like I took the best path. I am stronger now. Med free. But, if things digressed I would seek out help.

Yay....They are only getting better.

We are not alone.

Thanks.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm not quite sure if you meant you have cirrhosis or not. So if so, that would be a "bad" report.

The liver is indeed resilient - to a point. And there IS a point we can cross into cirrhosis when damage can't be reversed back to normal, as I understand it.

You are absolutely right on a biggie: extended, chronic abuse of alcohol damages everything in our bodies.

Good job on getting the tests- good job on acting on what they mean and how to get as healthy as you can, sober.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My result was normal - no scarring at all. I’d say that’s pretty good.

I truly believe other people out there will have drunk the same amount I did and developed liver disease. I’m 50, and some people die of alcohol-related liver disease in their 30s or 40s. Either they drunk a hell of a lot, were very unlucky or it’s he who’s lucky.