Notices

Day 19

Old 08-21-2019, 03:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Karate girl

Day 19

I can't believe I've made it this far. Hitting rock bottom was the best worst thing to ever happen to me. I lost my fiancee and a house we were building, but I got the wake-up call I've been needing. Being admitted as inpatient for a week has made all the difference for me along with going directly into the Partial Hospitalization Program. I'm sure they will keep me in there for as long as they can before dropping me to IOP. I have been taking the Naltrexone and it is working wonders for me. I have absolutely no cravings on it and alcohol does not seem appealing to me at all. Monday I went to my first Celebrate Recovery meeting and I got a blue chip. Tomorrow I am going to another CR meeting, but this one will be over the 12 steps. Slowly but surly, I feel like I'm making forward progress.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on 19!
Old 08-21-2019, 04:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

well done StrenghtNMe
Old 08-21-2019, 04:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

This place taught me the science behind my addiction to booze. The crave, anxiety, fear, depression etc etc are all the result of the damage booze had done to my brain.

There are parts of my brain and body that will never fully heal. I have to adapt. That is why it takes so long to feel normal. It is getting used to where I am booze free.

Once I am used to it, then I feel healed. But, the crave lurks forever.

That is why folks regret relapse after decades of sobriety.

Education and suffering. Growing up.

Thanks.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Excellent job on day nineteen. And it sounds like you are doing all the right things.
I wish I would have had as much sense as you, about quitting, when I was struggling alone with my addiction. So great job on getting help.
Many more days to you.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

StrengthNme.

This is so wonderful, 19 days and the action steps you're taking.

I've been thinking a lot this past week how nothing changed in my drinking career until I started showing up and participating in my own life. I got sober through AA. I've been sober 22 years, and will pick up my 22 year medallion after the 26th of this month. My son has six months sober after inpatient and IOP, and he and I are going to a meeting together so he can pick up his six month chip and I'll be picking up my medallion. What I love about recovery programs is that our sobriety's not measured in weeks or months or years, it's what we do on a daily basis to maintain our spiritual growth to earn our sobriety one day at a time. We're all the same not matter the days, weeks, months, or years. Thank you for sharing this and congratulations again on your sober days.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing so well.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StrengthNme View Post
I can't believe I've made it this far. Hitting rock bottom was the best worst thing to ever happen to me. I lost my fiancee and a house we were building, but I got the wake-up call I've been needing. Being admitted as inpatient for a week has made all the difference for me along with going directly into the Partial Hospitalization Program. I'm sure they will keep me in there for as long as they can before dropping me to IOP. I have been taking the Naltrexone and it is working wonders for me. I have absolutely no cravings on it and alcohol does not seem appealing to me at all. Monday I went to my first Celebrate Recovery meeting and I got a blue chip. Tomorrow I am going to another CR meeting, but this one will be over the 12 steps. Slowly but surly, I feel like I'm making forward progress.
Sounds like you are becoming a New Creation! Naltrexone is good to buy time to get your head on straight. Celebrate Recovery can bring new purpose and values to your life.

When your values trump your addiction, there is no addiction.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AA Member