Notices

Day 12 and getting bloods done

Old 08-20-2019, 02:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 12 and getting bloods done

I am now on day 12 and have a headache every morning, and my urine is very dark. As such, I have seen my GP this morning and am getting my blood tests done on Friday, although my GP suspects dehydration.

In the UK, the NHS offer free health checks, which I have previously avoided, due to my alcohol consumption. Head in the sand I suppose.

I am glad that I have now taken the decision to get myself checked out. My GP was very supportive, and I would advise anyone in the same position as me to do the same.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I’m in the UK too and also spent years avoiding the doctors as I drank too much 😀 Like you, I saw the light and now live healthily including not being afraid to see the doctor.

The standard NHS blood tests in the UK test only cholesterol and blood sugar. Make sure you get a breakdown of your cholesterol results to see the good and bad figures as I had to chase this from my surgery.

You’re concerned about your drinking - well done for quitting - so get liver function blood tests done too if you’ve not already asked. By all means, tell your GP you drank too much and be 100% honest. You’ll be way happier and healthier doing so.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Hope the results of the checkup are good.

And hope you stick around SR. It's helped a lot of people stay sober. You can be one of them.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Great job on getting to Day 12! Isn't it a good feeling to be getting to some of those "really need to do this" things?

And yes, keep posting on the regular!
Old 08-20-2019, 03:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry all - that should read 'Day 12 and getting bloods done'.

Yes, I am having liver, kidney, diabetes, thyroid, cholesterol, and Vitamin B tests done. I can also see the results online when they have been done.

I am indeed planning to stick around SR
Old 08-20-2019, 03:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I drank off and on for decades and now am clean a good while.

It was a lifestyle change, I sort of copied folks that don't drink.

If they could do it, i could do it. AA was an option I explored and the door is always open.

I didn't realize how much booze had impacted my mind. Since quitting I am much more easy going and patient. Things don't bother me and I laugh all the time at myself and other things.

I have so much more time and look forward to getting off work so I can enjoy myself doing thing like shopping, exercise, tv, and sleep.

I got unknowingly addicted to booze and now i am educated. It was a learned behavior in have unlearned.

I was a mess for well over a year, but nobody really knew except God and SR.

Thanks.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

With my assumption/goal that I will make it to six months, my treat to myself as I'll mislabel it will be going to the doctor.
I figure if I go now, I will be told about my drinking and because I'm on day 47 I am looking to stack the news in my favor.
If you know what I mean.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Badga View Post
Sorry all - that should read 'Day 12 and getting bloods done'.
fixed

Hope you get good results

D
Old 08-20-2019, 03:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello, Badga.

I hope your test results come out just fine.

I had all kinds of health problems when I stopped drinking; kidney, back problems, headaches, etc. I'm healthy now because I don't drink anymore and don't ignore myself. I get adequate sleep, hydration, and a little exercise.

Good luck to you and congratulations on your 12 days. Twelve days is huge for an alcoholic to go without taking a drink.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad you are going Badga. I knew it wasn't going to be good when I finally quit and got all my tests done. But it was a necessary step in being honest about where I was. Stay sober and you have the best chance of stopping, reversing or not continuing to experience dangerous levels of anything.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I must admit that the things I was most worried about from giving up alcohol - rebound insomnia and crazy boredom/caged tiger, feeling in the evening.

In fact, I am now sleeping like the proverbial baby and feel an immense sense of calm an relaxation in the evening. Just goes to show what the alcohol was doing to me.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by djlook View Post
. Twelve days is huge for an alcoholic to go without taking a drink.
Agree 100%, The first few weeks are grim, at least they were in my case. It was about three months before the urges to drink eased off noticeably. Now, eight months of sobriety, the urges are very rare.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good luck with the physical examination.

By the way, morning headaches and dark urine can both be signs of dehydration. Make sure to drink a whole bunch of water every day.

PS -- Congratulations on 12 days. Keep it up!
Old 08-20-2019, 12:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Glad you're here with us.

We all hope your lab work comes out good.

I certainly wasn't in the best of shape when I got sober, but my liver cleared right up.

So did the rest of my life, but it took some time, commitment and daily work.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Check back in with us so we can know how you are doing.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats and I second ImNotThatGuy on lots and lots of water.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
Glad you're here with us.

We all hope your lab work comes out good.

I certainly wasn't in the best of shape when I got sober, but my liver cleared right up.

So did the rest of my life, but it took some time, commitment and daily work.
The first time I quit my liver cleared up as well, after this stint I have to admit I'm scared to have it looked at.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Trojanhorse View Post
The first time I quit my liver cleared up as well, after this stint I have to admit I'm scared to have it looked at.
I am sorry to hear this Trojanhorse. As you probably know, the liver is an incredible organ, capable of regeneration, as you have seen before. Please, please, please, go and get your tests done. Your Dr will be on your side, as mine is, and can help and advise you. Please go.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Trojanhorse View Post
I just had a private fibroscan and am waiting for the proper results later today. However, if I understood the nurse correctly, all looks good, the liver is soft and not considered fatty. Not bad for someone who drank a bottle of wine daily until 8 months ago and had a “mild fatty liver” diagnosis from an ultrasound.

This is my first fibroscan, and whilst I wasn’t expecting problems, I knew that any problems seen at this stage can be managed. I’d certainly get checked out.

I’ll start a thread on this when I get my official results, but I consider myself one lucky ex-drinker to not have any fibrosis or scarring (cirrhosis) after 15 years or so of heavy drinking.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you for the concern Badga. I will get it checked out, I'm just working up my nerve to go.