Notices

Trying Something New

Old 08-19-2019, 06:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying Something New

Here goes nothing. I’m 1 day in without a drink and want to live life without alcohol and all the negative effects. I’m an alcoholic - I don’t need a quiz or professional to tell me that. I’m just tired of feeling like garbage for most of the day as well as the feelings of guilt and shame. I’m still dealing with some minor withdrawal symptoms (shaky hands) but thankfully the nausea phase seems to have ended.

For or those who have been sober for a few days or years, are there any tips that worked for you? I’ve tried lots of strategies over the years to manage the urges, but ultimately have failed. Usually, I’ll quit for a week or two and then get hit with an urge and next thing you know I’m back at it.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have been sober for 10 months. I highly reccomend reading This Naked Mind.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I learned pretty quickly that I just had to accept that the urges would come. They were the well-worn pathways laid down in my brain.

In time they become weaker and less frequent.

I didn't pick up a drink, no matter what my thoughts told me. No matter what.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

Originally Posted by MiYo View Post
Usually, I’ll quit for a week or two and then get hit with an urge and next thing you know I’m back at it.
It's simple. Don't give in to the urge. Simple, but not easy. But everyone who has attained any level of sustained sobriety has succeeded at just that--saying no to their addiction.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have found that being very specifically planning out my day (which does not include drinking) has helped me. Where I fall down is when confronted with the option to drink that wasn’t expected. For example, went to the pool Saturday and a friend bought me a beer without asking. I wasn’t prepared for that.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MiYo View Post
Here goes nothing. I’m 1 day in without a drink and want to live life without alcohol and all the negative effects. I’m an alcoholic - I don’t need a quiz or professional to tell me that. I’m just tired of feeling like garbage for most of the day as well as the feelings of guilt and shame. I’m still dealing with some minor withdrawal symptoms (shaky hands) but thankfully the nausea phase seems to have ended.

For or those who have been sober for a few days or years, are there any tips that worked for you? I’ve tried lots of strategies over the years to manage the urges, but ultimately have failed. Usually, I’ll quit for a week or two and then get hit with an urge and next thing you know I’m back at it.
Consider this principle: Humans will always act to move in the direction where they perceive the greatest happiness (reward). While this may appear superficial at first thought, it is ripe with truth.
Reasons for drinking are driven by emotional factors, usually feelings of helplessness (about whatever in my life makes me feel overwhelmingly trapped). When I understand what drives my drinking I am in a better position to replace my corrupt behavior with a direct high value behavior.

The antidote is to find some other high value behavior other than drinking that is more important to you-and empowers you! When your values trump your addiction, there is no addiction.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

AA and a great sponsor taught me a lot. For me the challenge isn’t as much about not drinking as it is about living life Sober.

welcome to SR. You will find a lot of support and lots of great ideas on the boards. But I’m the end you have to make the commitment and do the work. Best of luck.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

One of the things I found very helpful is the use of a good natural sleep aid. I just knocked myself out early every night and stayed as busy I could during the day. I took an over the counter sleep aid with low dose melatonin, 5-HTP and GABA. I still use it today because I still like it and it doesn't cause drowsiness the next day.

Second, I found indulging in food was helpful in early sobriety. This is probable normally not practical advice, but I found if I treated myself for not drinking with foods I love, it gave me something to look forward to. This is especially the case with foods that I couldn't eat when I was drinking.

For example, I LOVE Taco Bell, but I hadn't been able to eat it in years because my stomach lining was such a mess from a constant stream of vodka. So this was my treat for a few months and I ate a lot of it. A taco addiction is much safer than alcohol, and it was one of the many small things that got me through.

Now, I've cleaned up my diet, so TB is off the table again. If I ever got a real urge to drink though, I think that would be the first place I'd go, haha.

SC
Old 08-19-2019, 08:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome, MiYo. I'm so glad you've decided to kick alcohol out of your life. I hope reading & posting here will be inspiring & helpful. There is no doubt you can do this - and you're never alone.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just keep focusing on one day at a time I guess...
Before you know it 6 months would of passed!
Old 08-19-2019, 11:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

As soon as the urge comes EAT SOMETHING...even if it is a cracker and the urge will pass.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree with BeABetterMan.

For me, I sought help through AA and have stuck with it since 1988 with no further drinking.

I couldn't imagine trying to get and stay sober on my own.

I'm not smart enough or strong enough to arrest a life of chronic alcoholism without getting help.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Posting here every day, or several times a day., certainly helped me MiYo

welcome

D
Old 08-19-2019, 07:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

1. As already noted, the way to get past urges, is not to give in. This means some white knuckle discipline, and it can be unnerving as all Hell. The urges will become manageable with time, and eventually disappear. Unfortunately there is no way around the cravings.

2. Lots of meetings, every night at first, and support from people who actually understand what you are going through. I used AA for that.

3. I think it helps if you can gain the proper attitude. For me, the attitude came from getting sick, tired, and totally disgusted with myself. That attitude was a willingness to commit to life long sobriety. My cravings were horrible for 4 days, but became quite manageable during my second week. After that, it become fun to not drink.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
nez

Your mind will believe what you tell it. Feed it hope. Feed it truth. Feed it with recovery.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The best advice I got to bolster my sobriety was to practice gratitude every day. It not only made my sobriety stronger, it made me happier too.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0
Old 08-20-2019, 01:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Learn about your "condition" by reading books, attending AA or SMART recovery or Rational recovery or counseling.
You need to understand the problem to fix it, unless you are not that far gone then just choose not to drink anymore.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

1. Join the August Class of 2019 sobriety group in the Newcomers section of this website.

2. Log on and post there every single day.