Notices

I wanna ******* kill myself

Old 08-19-2019, 05:28 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Jj2518.

I am a recovered alcoholic of 22 years. My son came to live with me and my husband on March 26th. He went to treatment for 30 days and two weeks of outpatient. He had no place to go other than here with us. We could have told him no, but because my husband and me have been in recovery for 53 years total, we look at it like we're helping another suffering alcoholic, not like we're doing him any favors or enabling him. He's still not drinking and will have six months sober the 26th of this month.

Alcoholism is a disease of perception. If you focus on how bad it is, it'll get worse. If you focus on gratitude, that they're probably providing you food, and I know they're providing you shelter, and that your sister and brother-in-law are supporting you in recovery, your attitude and outlook concerning he situation will change. Remember, you put yourself in the situation you're in by drugging.

I have a suggestion. Get busy and show your gratitude by doing some things for them, take out the trash, mow the yard, run errands for them, whatever it is you can do to be a part of their home while you're staying there. It's not their fault that you don't have a home. They're helping you and supporting you by providing you shelter and food.. They are supporting you. If they're not alcoholic or have been in recovery, they don't understand the struggles you're going through in early sobriety. I don't know if you attend meetings or read any literature to help you in your recovery, but another alcoholic/addict will understand what you're going through and I suggest you find some meetings. You'll find the support that your family cannot provide. You can't expect your family to understand. They're doing the best they can. There's a tape I listened to in early sobriety called, "Alcoholism, the disease of perception." And our disease is one of perception. For me, as a practicing alcoholic, I expected everyone to do as I wanted. I have a disease of selfish and self-centeredness but if I'm going to stay sober, it's my responsibility to do whatever it is I need to do to treat it one day at a time.

My son is grateful he has a place to stay and something to eat. He's grateful his daughter can come here and visit him. I know we drive him nuts, but he's able to go to work every day and pay his own bills. I don't know how long he'll be with us. We're both taking it one day at a time, and because he's not drinking or using, he has a shot at getting his life back to together as a sober man. When he came here with us after treatment, he was in poor health, had no money, no place to live, and he was an emotional wreck. Treatment dried him out, but he's having to learn to live without a substance to fix him. It's tough. I know, because I've been there myself.

Maybe today you can do something nice for your sister and your brother-in-law. I know they're concerned about you. Also, helping another person gets us out of our own head, which is a scary place to be.

I'm glad you found this website and I'm glad you are clean and sober. Good luck to you.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:33 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jj2518 View Post
Thank you all for the support I made it another day thank you god. 🙏🏼🙇🏼*♀️

Xo Jess.
Hi Jj. s

I'm sorry I missed this thread yesterday, but I am so thankful that you made it through the day. s Also very glad you joined us in the 24-hour thead: there is always someone around and loads of support...as there is all over SR.

You came to the right place. Sending huge hugs and love.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:26 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jess, I'm so glad you found us and that you made it another day. As you can see, you will find lots of support and understanding here.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by djlook View Post
Jj2518.

I have a suggestion. Get busy and show your gratitude by doing some things for them, take out the trash, mow the yard, run errands for them, whatever it is you can do to be a part of their home while you're staying there. It's not their fault that you don't have a home. They're helping you and supporting you by providing you shelter and food.. They are supporting you. If they're not alcoholic or have been in recovery, they don't understand the struggles you're going through in early sobriety. I don't know if you attend meetings or read any literature to help you in your recovery, but another alcoholic/addict will understand what you're going through and I suggest you find some meetings. You'll find the support that your family cannot provide. You can't expect your family to understand. They're doing the best they can. ...
This is wisdom and experience. You won't find any better suggestions than these. You're a lucky guy.