Notices

Made it through social event

Old 08-18-2019, 03:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made it through social event

Day 65 here and had my first “out to dinner with friends” event yesterday.
Was concerned about the usual stuff and made it through no problem.
It was kind of interesting to watch how the one friend who was drinking changed and shape shifted after the first glass of wine.
No judgment really but I was really wondering if that is how I used to look talk and vibe after a drink.
Probably.
In any case, just reporting that it was a lot easier to not drink, I found the idea of it and the effects on my dinner colleague pretty disgusting.
Still very new to being the odd non drinker in the wine soaked place I live..
Happy Sunday all.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I never missed a party from day 1 of my decision to quit being a drinker.

I was lucky enough to have some major anxiety that i knew would get temporarily better if i drank. I also could feel it was getting better and better with each clean day.

I sort of was/am jealous of drinkers. But, it is truly fleeting. I am an expert in drinking and i know there is no way to drink and not have to pay the piper afterwards. Staying drunk has been tried by many an alky. That always ends up very bad.

We here are very aware. The masses of addicts out there, and there are more than not, in my opinion, are lost souls. They are doomed to keep drinking until they get weaker and weaker.

We have the golden goose. We here know better.

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made it through OK - well done

I did that a few times and drank pretty near afterwards, though, so stay vigilant Melski

d
Old 08-18-2019, 07:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
I never missed a party from day 1 of my decision to quit being a drinker.

I was lucky enough to have some major anxiety that i knew would get temporarily better if i drank. I also could feel it was getting better and better with each clean day.

I sort of was/am jealous of drinkers. But, it is truly fleeting. I am an expert in drinking and i know there is no way to drink and not have to pay the piper afterwards. Staying drunk has been tried by many an alky. That always ends up very bad.

We here are very aware. The masses of addicts out there, and there are more than not, in my opinion, are lost souls. They are doomed to keep drinking until they get weaker and weaker.

We have the golden goose. We here know better.

Thanks.
Amen to THIS.....

And you did a great job NOT drinking...and it is a great feeling to watch others...and I know when you got in your car sober that was another GREAT moment....you made it! You know you can do it...and you still had fun.

Life is good sober.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm glad you made it through OK - well done

I did that a few times and drank pretty near afterwards, though, so stay vigilant Melski

d
Yep me too! The times I got through something and then drank when I could 'relax' again were unreal.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, I have been to a few events but I made sure they were not revolving around drinking.

I was ok, enjoyed my sparkling water with mint and lemon and genuinely had a nice time. I didn't think about drinking once during these outings, just the happiness and content feeling I had NOT DRINKING.

I also realized that the smell of alcohol is gross to me, on someone's breath or just a bar, they stink to me. I guess that is a good sign, whatever works. But mainly hanging with my new sober friends and not even having it near me at all, is the best.

Today I was at the turkish bath house with sober sister and this guy came up to us and told us that the russian beer was awesome, we both said at the same time, "we don't drink." happily and looked at each other. I was so good to have a partner.

Goodnight
Old 08-19-2019, 02:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job! Be proud you did it- but temper that exactly like Dee said. Now's the time to ramp up your awareness and focus on recovery so you don't "think you've got it" - that's the kind of thinking us alcoholics are prone to having!
Old 08-19-2019, 05:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks all, yes, I made it 100 days last year and then lost it at the holidays and all the work gatherings.
It's the smaller parties/team events that got me because there was no escape and others were so excited about drinking at noon or whatever.
Not an excuse and I am working on being better prepared now.
There will always be another party, event, gathering, to deal with and there is pressure/politics involved in the work environment.
I feel very resolved about this and never want to feel the way I did on that last day 1 again.
Will be staying close to here and thanks so much for all the support.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You can always say NO to anything, remember that!
Old 08-20-2019, 12:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was very wary about being around alcohol early on.

I certainly didn't get anywhere near it until at least after 6 months or so.

It played way too much of a head game with me for a long time.

That's just me, but I didn't put myself into a position to relapse.