Notices

Would a Drink help?

Old 08-18-2019, 01:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stable View Post
i am a few days off 5 months sober and now am struggling.

The pleasure of sobriety are starting to plateau. I am finding it difficult dealing with the reality of my life.

Becoming very frustrated with life can be difficult when being sober as nothing blots out your problems better than alcohol. Being sober means that release option is not there.

So I am lying here with a headache not knowing what to do with myself. So I ask myself Whould a drink help?
For an alcoholic a drink will never help as it doesn’t exist! Drinks until blackout would be the reality for this alcoholic and that sure as hell wouldn’t help anything but rather add a whole new layer of crap on top.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:14 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I'm pretty sure you knew the answer to that question before you posted. Did you honestly expect anyone here to say...sure, have a drink! Can't hurt; might help!
Old 08-18-2019, 02:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Stable. It's just not worth the temporary comfort we 'may' get. The frustrations your feeling need to be dealt with & analyzed with a clear head. Putting our problems on hold while we wander off to lala land just creates more misery. We have to sober up sometime - and when we do, there are likely to be many regrets. Why do that to yourself?

I had those feelings a few times during my first year. After that, they left me.
Congratulations on your 5+ months. I'm glad you wanted to talk this over.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:33 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

"A" drink get a load of this guy!

Short answer: No.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:55 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Just to update, I decided a drink would not help and have stayed sober.

Ive had to tough out a bad weekend of Deppression. Of course we all know the devastation bringing back alcohol into our lives would bring.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:54 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I (and im pretty sure it is safe to say, “all”) of us here are happy to hear you talking it out with us, Stable. It’s never easy, but it will be worth it. I understand depression (and anxiety) all to well from personal experience, and days like this suck. But they def don’t suck as much as the lowest lows we had when trying to drown them. I’m glad you’re good tonight and I’m glad you posted today. You helped this girl, too
Old 08-18-2019, 03:57 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

sounds like you played the tape all the way through! good job and good practice for future seemingly innocuous ideas those darn voices come up with! stay vigilant for they are relentless AND creative! always remember that their plan is to get you with a drink in your hands........
Old 08-18-2019, 04:18 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Ive had to tough out a bad weekend of Deppression. Of course we all know the devastation bringing back alcohol into our lives would bring.
Sorry to hear you have depression, but hopefully you’re addressing the cause of it, and of all the treatments out there, none include alcohol. Well done on staying alcohol free over what sounds a difficult weekend.

It gets easier. I quit nearly eight months ago, and sadly I had a family tragedy three days ago. I didn’t even feel like a drink, and previously alcohol would’ve been my first port of call. It’ll soon be second nature not to drink. Keep it up.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:54 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm very relieved to know you rose above that temptation, Stable. We all know how it feels.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:35 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I sure wish I could tell you that a drink would help. I myself relapsed after 7 months with just a few drinks and I'm here to tell ya it made me feel like crap.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:09 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

In this situation i allow myself to realize a drink might help. Three might help. Maybe today and tomorrow I'd even be fine. But what about the next day when its five drinks? What about next week when its a bottle of vodka? Naw.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:06 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I am a month in and have these fleeting thoughts, like "no one will know if I do." or I will drive by my old favorite wine bar and miss it.

Then, I catch that thought, scold it like a ill-mannered child and tell it, "ok nic, let's remember the last time you were at that wine bar. You said just a few glasses, got wasted and ended up drunk on the beach, alone in a club, spent all your money and lost your purse, blacked out and don't know how you got home and woke up hungover, ashamed, frustrated and afraid. Sure, let's go do that again!" HELL NO haha....I'll pass.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:11 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Great going Stable! What do you have planned today?
Old 08-20-2019, 05:27 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Would a Drink help?

Help what?

Ruin your life?

Yeah, probably.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:43 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Many of us are kind of like "cracked eggs" when we get sober in that we are heavily addicted to our drugs of choice, we have a wealth of horrible life experiences to serve as the sum total of our wisdom and we have co-occurring mental illnesses like depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, etc.

We're a "mixed bag" to put it mildly.

I recommend that you see a psychiatrist if you think you have depression because you probably do. I have done so with considerable success.

I also suggest that you choose and follow a plan of recovery.

I could not have gotten sober without doing that. I still follow it daily without exception.

Please keep us posted as to your pain and progress.

Most of us on this forum have experienced a good bit of both.