Notices

Keep coming back?

Old 08-16-2019, 01:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Checking it out tatsy. Thank you.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I read your thread all the way through and couldn't see where anyone had attacked you.

I am in AA but I do not believe AA is the only way to get and stay sober. There are lots of different recovery methods out there and lots of success stories of people here using different recovery methods. However in AA we do say keep coming back and I for one am glad of that saying because I did keep coming back, even when I didn't really understand why or when I didn't feel like it. And thank God I did because AA (in conjunction with SR) has saved my life.

As for seeking the advice of a neurologyst there isnt any need as there are alot of books out there that explain the science behind alcoholism. Two of them I have read are Under the Influence and Alcohol Explained. Both books are very interesting and whilst they didnt keep me sober (I bought and read them before I got into recovery) now I am sober they make so much sense to me and explain in layman's terms why I will never be able to drink moderately again literally because of what has happened ri my brain and that is definitely a major influence in me not wanting to pick up a drink again because one drink will reverse all the healing my brain has been doing over the last 16 months.

So, I wish you really well on your sobriety journey and if you have no plans to keep coming back then great. It's your recovery. So instead I will say to you, keep going!
Old 08-16-2019, 01:30 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank you for the "keep going".

Im honestly sorry I started this thread, Im logging off here, and will keep going along with the help of my doctors.

Frankly Im finding this unhelpful.

God bless and wishing everyone the best of health.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:41 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Just one thing I thought of...
I had never heard of the freedom model and was interested so just looked it up. If this is something that appeals to you then I would recommend reading Jason Vale's How to kick the drink easily. It's a great book and sounds similar to the freedom model. In fact I think I will dig it out and read it again.

🙏❤🙏❤
Old 08-16-2019, 01:51 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

You’re absolutely entitled to your opinion Shift. However, there are rules about berating recovery methods that you don’t agree with for a good reason. We all find our own paths to sobriety that works for us. We are encouraged to share what works for us, it helps people understand that there is not one way but many ways to get and stay sober. For vulnerable people who might come here it can be upsetting and very confusing to read someone bashing the method you use as less than.

Focus on what helps you, what works for you and share that and be mindful and considerate that we all choose different paths and no path is right or wrong as long as it leads us to the right destination. x
Old 08-16-2019, 01:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hello everyone. Just want to chirp in on the subject. I do say keep coming back. For my own personal reasons . I didn't make that up. It is a slogan that is used in AA and the reason behind it is legit. Of coarse who wants to go back to slavery of addiction. But hey its different strokes for different folks. And with that I'll keep coming back!!!! Works for me. 104 days..
Old 08-16-2019, 02:29 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ShiftHappens View Post
And tomsteve Im hoping Im allowed to have my opiniion here without being attacked or negated by those belonging to a different recovery model.
you asked a question,then attacked. i gave a solution without attacking.
whatever works. no need to go bashing another program or its members,eh?
Old 08-16-2019, 02:57 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Ok I asked a question.

I wasnt bashing anyones program

Moot point. I said I was logging out.

Mods can delete if my question violates the rules.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:48 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
nez

I wasnt bashing anyones program
I understand how some people might feel your manner of interacting and approach in this discussion could be considered as being antagonistic. Who is right? Who is wrong?...Doesn't matter. It is only individual perceptions.

Discussions are about finding out what is right. Arguments on the other hand are about who is right. Discussions about recovery can be invaluable. Arguments about recovery, not so much.

My mind is like a parachute. It does it's best work when it is open.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:08 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
nez

Perhaps I too need to step away from the site.

Maybe I'm wrong but this place upsets me more than it helps theese days.
I have slowly learned over the years that not all lessons I receive are in the packaging that I anticipate. When something upsets me, it is akin to browser message "You've got mail". I know that it is an alert that there is something in my in-box. I could easily hit the delete button, but by doing so I could potentially be short changing my educational opportunities.

One of the lessons that showed up in my in-box was that life and recovery begin at the end of my comfort zone.

I hope you stick around Beav19.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:37 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beav19 View Post
As painfully as it is I must agree and comment that i have found this form becoming increasingly hostile and generally not a very nice place to be anymore. It's always a who's recovery is better match (just the same as who can pee higher up the wall)

I'm just over 6 months in and find that this site is NOT the same welcoming and calming place it was in JAN.

Perhaps I too need to step away from the site.

Maybe I'm wrong but this place upsets me more than it helps theese days.

Take care all
I reread the posts and I don't see anybody saying their recovery method is better than others. Actually, most posts say pick the recovery that best suits you. John
Old 08-16-2019, 04:38 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

No ones required to follow any one method of recovery here.

All we ask here at SR is that folks have respect for other methods, and respect for the rights of others to hold beliefs and perspectives, which may differ from yours (or mine).

Im logging off here, and will keep going along with the help of my doctors.
Thats your call Shift

Thread closed.

Dee
Administrator
SR