# 1 (permalink)  

I keep relapsing

​I can't do this
​​​​​​​
Old 08-16-2019, 12:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can do this...

Maybe try a different approach?

Counseling, AA, SMART Recovery, lifestyle changes including; yoga, meditation, nutritional support, posting more here.....

Try everything until you begin to say...I CAN DO THIS!

Old 08-16-2019, 12:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wildflower70 View Post
You can do this...

Maybe try a different approach?

Counseling, AA, SMART Recovery, lifestyle changes including; yoga, meditation, nutritional support, posting more here.....

Try everything until you begin to say...I CAN DO THIS!

i am 17,000 km from home. None of this exists here. I am in a post Soviet country
​​​​
Old 08-16-2019, 12:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

SR exists where you are.....you are posting now

Start there.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Most countries offer some sort of AA or support groups. I believe they are also available online. I hope you search out any resources you can to get sober. You will never regret putting the drink down.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
nez

When I look for reasons why I can't do something, I find them.
When I look for ways that I can do something, I find them.

Getting sober was a real struggle for me. Growth was painful. Change was painful. But I found that nothing is as painful as staying stuck somewhere I didn't belong. I didn't belong in the revolving door of relapse.

When I looked for the way out. I found it.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am in a post Soviet country

you still don't HAVE to drink. you can easily access good recovery material online. the AA Big Book has been a salvation for many just like you with no face to face help around.

you CAN do this.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Where theres a will theres a way. Stay strong.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You have to change your thinking....or put it this way...I had to change my thinking in order for me to ever stay stopped...I have the availability of AA...etc..but I am not utilizing it at this time and I have stopped for over 53 days...

I have a ton of problems, responsibilities and health issues....and I had to decide for REAL...drink and die in about 5 years....Or stop drinking and maybe get to some of those things I haven't done and be dead in 10 years?

That was my personal decision and what drove me to stop...Something has to be more important to you than drinking...

I believe if you can find REASONS to stop other than reasons why you should keep drinking...it will be easier to stop...and you will start saying I CAN DO THIS.....she did....he did...they did.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi strugglingto

Not sure where you are in the world but I stopped with the help of SR. I really wanted to quit and I changed my life in order to do so.

That was me.
What are you prepared to do to quit?

we may be able to help with suggestions if you let us know what you're prepared to do?

D
Old 08-17-2019, 01:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have been relapsing for the last decade (since I decided to quit) . I live in North Africa, I attend AA online, rational recovery online, talk therapy/counseling online, SR forum online, pray, meditate and read books on recovery pdf online, talk to other recovered or recovering member on skype which of course online.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Strugglingto View Post
​I can't do this
​​​​​​​
There's your first hurdle straight away. We tend to believe what we think and then execute the thought.

I never came here looking to give up, it was only when people started chatting to me and challenging my thought processes that I suddenly realised I could do this.

Making one day clear is the first hurdle, staying sober for 24 hours by however and whatever means possible. The problem for a lot of people is the amount of time under our belts with the drinking, to suddenly go against this really is a challenge in itself.

If you want to 'do this' you really can 'do this' but you will need to put in some effort as it's impossible for anybody else to do that for you...

Just keep posting here as much as you can and battle the negative voice which a lot of us have become so accustomed too, it can be done, I know that much and I'm only 2 weeks sober but others here have done years!

Take it easy and 1 day at a time...Or 1 hour at a time, even a minute at a time, anything just don't drink...
Old 08-17-2019, 06:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You were doing so well after your recent withdrawal from alcohol. You had hoped that experiencing the awful symptoms of detoxing without medical intervention would sear the experience in your brain. What happened? Why did you pick up a drink? Do you think you could post here first when cravings strike? Have you tried AA? What about antibuse?
Old 08-17-2019, 01:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soupcon View Post
You were doing so well after your recent withdrawal from alcohol. You had hoped that experiencing the awful symptoms of detoxing without medical intervention would sear the experience in your brain. What happened? Why did you pick up a drink? Do you think you could post here first when cravings strike? Have you tried AA? What about antibuse?
i picked up again because I didn't get the job. I don't think antibuse exists in Ukraine
Old 08-17-2019, 02:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

It might be known as disulfiram there strugglingto.

Not picking on you., but how do you know what's available helpwise if you assume its not available and you don't look for it?

why not speak with a doctor?

D
Old 08-17-2019, 06:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey Strugglingto, just wanted to let you know that I understand how you feel (I think most of us around here do) and am hoping you can claw your way to sobriety.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I probably would have drank too over such a big stressor "not getting a job"...So...just think about trying again as soon as you can....it will be easier to get a job sober....

I understand it was a kick in the gut not getting a job....our self esteem as alcoholics can be bad enough...I'm sorry this happened.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It’s perhaps double tough in your situation but like for all of us it starts with one day at a time. You clearly want to stop so it’s up to you. We all can.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Keep trying, Strugglinto! I've had a lot of relapses, too. It's very, very discouraging. So is wanting a job and not getting it! See if you can just not drink for today. That first day can be a huge hurdle, and a great relief when you get through it!
Old 08-18-2019, 01:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am putting it down again. And doing the detox again. I realise every relapse is worse and you can sound like a lunatic and you detox and relapse and each time you sound more and more deranged. Kindling. It hits you harder each time. I don't want to exit the world. But it comes closer each time I do this to myself. And I know what will come. And how sick I will be. And honestly the withdrawal stuff, I would welcome an exit from this world. It was a short binge. I have done worse before. I keep coming here and reading but I also keep crashing.