SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Really lonely and upset (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/441174-really-lonely-upset.html)

ShiftHappens 08-15-2019 12:49 PM

Really lonely and upset

I just lay here and really don't care about anything. I don't know if this is normal.

least 08-15-2019 12:54 PM

That was normal for me when I was drinking. Severely depressed with no energy. It got better after I'd been sober for a while. :hug:

LoveDD 08-15-2019 01:00 PM

I’m on day one and can relate to the isolated feeling. However, that being said, I have been sober before and it does get better :) Hopefully you stop drinking and stick with it. That’s my plan. It will get better for us if we stay sober.

ShiftHappens 08-15-2019 01:04 PM

Im not drinking. Day 3

BeABetterMan 08-15-2019 01:11 PM

The first two weeks were agonizing for me. I was going through a breakup and fresh out of a psychiatric hold for some dumb shot I did while on a bender. I would like to say that every day gets better but it didn’t. But overall my mood and outlook has been trending up. The early days are so hard. I was/am so lonely because I live in a new town with no friends and no partner. But I can say unequivocally that my life is improving 22 days in. Just hang in there. Reach out to people. Force yourself to take walks or do some exercise. Don’t lament the past, just set your sights on the future and try to get there by not drinking today and then do that again tomorrow. AA helps me a lot.

Good luck Shift.

ShiftHappens 08-15-2019 01:44 PM

Thanks everyone.

Is paranoia normal

MantaLady 08-15-2019 02:02 PM

For the first few weeks I was paranoid, didn’t want to talk to anyone or do anything or go anywhere. I think it was the shock of being awake to life for the first time in a long time and it all seemed overwhelming. I was super sensitive to everything, sounds, smells, emotions, was a bit of a sensory overload. One thing I can promise you is that it is temporary, as they say the only way out is through and I just had to go through it and face the fear. You can do this SH xx

ReadyAtLast 08-15-2019 02:21 PM

Day 3 is the worse imo :( It starts to get better after today. Stick with it and hopefully you'll feel a bit more positive in the morning :) congrats on day 3.

Anna 08-15-2019 03:00 PM

Good job on getting through Day 3! I do think you will begin to feel better soon.

Misssy2 08-15-2019 05:46 PM

Yes paranoia is super normal...so is self loathing...disgust.....FEAR of what you have done to yourself....or FEAR that you will "never care".....this really will pass in a couple more days....

You drank for a long time..you have been suffering for so long...I hope Day 4 you find something to smile about...even if it is the fact that a light bulb works in your house.....find one thing to be grateful for that you did not "see" when you were "suffering".....

I try to do that each day...find something to be grateful for cause clearly life sux for many of us...and my life sux really bad at the moment...but it would suc worse I know this...if I was drinking....

Hawkeye13 08-15-2019 07:11 PM

When I quit I had paranoia, acute bursts of anxiety, shame, fear, and plenty of anger at my situation. It was all topped off with insomnia. But honestly, I had all that going when I was drinking too.

It sucked, but gradually improved day by day when I quit.
It took time and work and self-honesty to get better but that journey is still far better than the hell I created with booze.

Today I feel positive, I sleep well, and don’t have pretty much any of those negative things listed above running my life like they used to.

I feel peace. I have hope again, and I know that getting sober was the critical first step in climbing out of the deep hole of depression I was in.

Misssy2 08-17-2019 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by ShiftHappens (Post 7248004)
Im not drinking. Day 3

Day 5 today Shift? Hope your doing well...Thinking of you this morning.