SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hopefully Day 1 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/441166-hopefully-day-1-a.html)

greg198499 08-15-2019 03:58 AM

Hopefully Day 1

Hey everyone! I was on SR maybe about a year and a half ago. I was living alone (waiting on my wife’s visa to clear) for about a year. Developed a pretty bad drinking problem out of loneliness and boredom etc. I was terrified of withdrawal and with help from some members I safely tapered off. I drank normally for about the next year. Didn’t really feel an urge to get drunk. Also didn’t want to be a drunk around my new wife. My job switched to work from home. Slowly over the last 6 months that caused me to slowly start day drinking here home alone until I was secretly up to like 12 to 15 units a day.

I tapered to 5 units yesterday and today will be dry again finally. So day one I guess. So I guess that’s like warm turkey lol I don’t know. Even with the taper to 5 yesterday had an awful sleepless and sweaty night but hope worst will be over soon.

ReadyAtLast 08-15-2019 04:04 AM

welcome back greg :)

ChloeRose63 08-15-2019 04:06 AM

Welcome back! Good to see you are posting!

Obladi 08-15-2019 05:49 AM

Hi Greg,

Don't guess, celebrate!

Yeah, I know you probably feel like cow dung right now, but you know that won't last long in the scheme of things. Compare it to the time you've spent miserable wanting to stop but continuing to drink. And keeping it a secret to boot. What a horrible place that is, no?

My work from home days became the same as yours. The last time my one work from home day morphed into the next five days of extremely heavy drinking and I landed in detox. Not a place, literally or figuratively, that you want to go, I'm sure.

You've made the right choice and I'm happy for you. :)

O

SoberRican 08-15-2019 05:51 AM

Wise choice. To taper and or quit my friend. Stick around here again. See what work for ya. My result is 103 days so far. You can do it too. Keep coming back

least 08-15-2019 07:22 AM

Welcome back! :)

Misssy2 08-15-2019 06:13 PM

Hopefully you can continue with day 2....Day 2, 3 and 4 were SO HARD for me...I thought about caving in so many times during my first week...and so glad I didn't.

Keep going it is worth it and you can do it if I did.

Dee74 08-15-2019 06:19 PM

Welcome back Greg - hows it going?

D

greg198499 08-16-2019 03:37 AM

Going great. Day 2 about in the books headed towards three.

No bad withdrawal except for some insomnia. Looking forward to what lots of people describe as their first good night of “real” sleep that people describe getting after the first week or two sober!

Obladi 08-16-2019 04:09 AM

That is fantastic news, Greg. Congratulations!
The first night of real sleep is delightful and worth waiting for.

Keep coming back to tell us how things (any of the things) are going with you. It has been really helpful to me to keep writing every day, if only to "process." But it's so much more than that - people here are rooting for you and care how you are getting along.

O