Notices

New to this

Old 08-17-2019, 08:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this

I have struggled with alcohol my whole life, am looking for some new help. Maybe this will the place where it sinks in.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome, Trojanhorse.
what "old"help have you used so far?
lots of different approaches being used by folks all over SR.
way to go on showing up, looking.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, keep reading and posting.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well fini the old help I talk about was willpower and friends along with a few trips to AA. I found AA not for me. I had quit for a five year span but got back at it after some high personal stress. Its time to go back to being sober. Alcohol has intruded every aspect of my life.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support and advice can help you get sober for good.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to meet you, Trojanhorse. I'm glad you're taking action & planning to free yourself of alcohol. It never helps - only brings misery. I wish I'd realized that decades ago.

We're here to encourage & help if we can!
Old 08-17-2019, 03:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome my friend. You come to the right place. Let figure out a plan to keep that ball and chain off your ankle.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to SR Trojanhorse. Quitting for 5 years was good going so you have a fair idea of what's involved, that's an advantage. Good luck.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Trojanhorse,

You will find lots of support here, and lots of ideas and suggestions about recovery. It's always good to have a plan in mind, one that will work for you.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I made it over 4 years without a relapse. Folks like you coming back regretting their relapse help.

Once a pickle never a cucumber. I have brain damage and if relapse i will do more damage.

My brain still works, but the next relapse mught rob me of my balance, speech, or sanity.

There are a ton of ex active drunks on anti depression or physcosis meds. I am free of that. One more relapse i might end up with a dual dignosis.

If i relapse again the crazy may be too much.

It has taken years for my brain to begin to produce natural dopamine. I sleep soundly with no drugs.

I suffered like hell to get here.

I will never give this up.

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

yes, willpower and friends works for some and not for others. it never got me past a little while. 5years on willpower is incredible to me.
what specifically is it that you want to have “sink in”?
Old 08-17-2019, 08:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
yes, willpower and friends works for some and not for others. it never got me past a little while. 5years on willpower is incredible to me.
what specifically is it that you want to have “sink in”?
I think I am still in a partial fantasy that I can control this.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
I made it over 4 years without a relapse. Folks like you coming back regretting their relapse help.

Once a pickle never a cucumber. I have brain damage and if relapse i will do more damage.

My brain still works, but the next relapse mught rob me of my balance, speech, or sanity.

There are a ton of ex active drunks on anti depression or physcosis meds. I am free of that. One more relapse i might end up with a dual dignosis.

If i relapse again the crazy may be too much.

It has taken years for my brain to begin to produce natural dopamine. I sleep soundly with no drugs.

I suffered like hell to get here.

I will never give this up.

Thanks.
oh you sound like me, I don’t have many brain cells left I think, it’s such a scary place to be at, I’m working on it again as I know deep down I don’t really want it to kill the last cell I have left
Old 08-17-2019, 09:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Trojanhorse View Post
not that I’m much help, but I understand, but every time I think I have this under control, I lose 6 months of my life
Old 08-17-2019, 09:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Everytime I started to think that maybe my relationship with alcohol might be different now, I knew I was in trouble. It never was, or would be, any different now.

I call that the gift of Acceptance

D
Old 08-18-2019, 03:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hi TrojanHorse, and welcome!

AA "wasn't for me" either. I went anyhow and struggled through. For the most part, the meetings were just fine; it was some peoples' responses to me afterward that rubbed me the wrong way. I appreciate real conversations, not so much pat phrases. I'm back in the rooms now with a different attitude. I believe the core of the program, the 12 steps, is a sound approach to life for anyone who can find or even believe in the possibility of a higher power. The old-timey phrases are part of the package. They do really have meaning even if they do grate on my nerves. Everybody works their program in their own way. If I go to a meeting twice and don't like that one, I find a different one. Not trying to convince you of anything, just saying it might be different if you try again.

SR has been a vital support for me, particularly when I've used it with a vengeance. At minimum, I'd encourage you to do a lot of reading around the forums and post at least daily. There's a wealth of knowledge in this place like no other.

O
Old 08-18-2019, 04:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
Hi TrojanHorse, and welcome!

AA "wasn't for me" either. I went anyhow and struggled through. For the most part, the meetings were just fine; it was some peoples' responses to me afterward that rubbed me the wrong way. I appreciate real conversations, not so much pat phrases. I'm back in the rooms now with a different attitude. I believe the core of the program, the 12 steps, is a sound approach to life for anyone who can find or even believe in the possibility of a higher power. The old-timey phrases are part of the package. They do really have meaning even if they do grate on my nerves. Everybody works their program in their own way. If I go to a meeting twice and don't like that one, I find a different one. Not trying to convince you of anything, just saying it might be different if you try again.

SR has been a vital support for me, particularly when I've used it with a vengeance. At minimum, I'd encourage you to do a lot of reading around the forums and post at least daily. There's a wealth of knowledge in this place like no other.

O
Thank you for the note. I live in a small community so I am kind of limited to the number of different meetings I can go to. I do like this place though, you can't feel alone on this when you see all the people struggling and also trying to help each other
Old 08-18-2019, 04:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

you can......if you never drink again. then you are absolutely in control of the outcome.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post

you can......if you never drink again. then you are absolutely in control of the outcome.
Makes sense, I need to get back to that place.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

how are you doing, Trojanhorse, both with reality and fantasy?