Notices

Posting days

Old 08-12-2019, 08:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Posting days

Hello everyone. Um I have a question. I have read on other sites that it is not cool to post my sober days. Because it might trigger someone to give up if they fail or whatever. Believe you me if that is the case I will not post it any longer. Why cause I will do anything in my power to make you not want to drink. I really care about all my brothers and sisters that are trying to better themselves. Feel me. I am not posting my days to gloat. I do it to express that there is hope . I dont know let me know what you all think about this subject. Thank you. Keep coming back.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

SoberRican, keep posting your sober days if it is helping you. I marked off days on a calendar for the first four months and it helped me a lot.

You cannot trigger another to drink, that's 100% on them. You also cannot, "make you not want to drink." That's also an inside job that is up to each of us.

Congrats on your Sober Time! Keep posting, I find it inspirational.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with biminiblue...If someone is ready to stop drinking nothing will trigger them....

I remember seeing similar posts when I was drinking and "hating them" and hating I couldn't get sober...

Maybe they are helping someone to have hope.

You have to do what works for YOU....
Old 08-12-2019, 09:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i really enjoy seeing your daycount titles...makes me smile each day.posting them cannot ever be responsible for "making" someone else anything.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I like seeing your progress too, SoberRican. And, I think you should do what feels good to you.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Keep posting them.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Your posts and sober days are an inspiration. I agree with what is said above. You can’t make anyone do anything, but you can motivate. That is what you do.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberRican View Post
Hello everyone. Um I have a question. I have read on other sites that it is not cool to post my sober days. Because it might trigger someone to give up if they fail or whatever.
I suppose that's possible, although I find it hard to believe. I certainly never felt bad when someone had more sober days than me. I found it inspiring, especially early on when I was at a point where I looked at continued sobriety as being out of reach. And I mean really inspiring, especially when I could pickup how joyful anyone was about it.

I would say post your days if you find it helps. But don't post someone else's days. That wouldn't be cool.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yep, agree w others!

I like the Sometimes We just like to Count our days thread (para?!) and pop in there to see people and share mine, occasionally.

I keep track on my monthly page of day planner and look up on specific days sometimes- my friend says I'm like the mom who would say she has a 47-month-old baby, but hey, I like keeping note every week or so.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It’s inspirational & encouraging to others & I think it’s the genuineness that keeps me reading. Keep posting & stay the course.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

We all want the best for each other here. There is no reason your success should trigger any one else's failure. We're not in competition with each other, so doing well should encourage and inspire other members. Keep posting!
Old 08-12-2019, 11:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I encourage you to keep counting and posting it.

I personally have an app on my phone which counts the days. I like looking at it.

You cannot "trigger" anyone to drink, if anyone choses to drink, it is to do with their thoughts and perspective. So don't worry about that.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I like seeing your days.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello again. Very well the desision is unanimous I will keep posting my day counts . . sorry I asked but reading that it does effect some folks had me wondering . I mean its not a race cause its not like you get a checkered flag.lol this is a never ending journey . and people let me tell you I am in it to win it. Much sober love for my peeps keep coming back. Also whats cool is I start work at 11 on that means in 60 minutes I'm on my next sober date. Cool points come on 101😃😃😃😃😃
Old 08-12-2019, 11:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Count your days, if you like.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Recan ,
Pauldandy is not worried about your posting too.Its inspiring me being behind you .I am pushing you up( 96 days here ) never get back and never go to relapse that is important.
Keep going mate !!
Old 08-12-2019, 01:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberRican View Post
reading that it does effect some folks had me wondering . I mean its not a race cause its not like you get a checkered flag.lol
Right. When I try to think about sobriety as a competition, it sounds ridiculously absurd. How would you do that? Usually, the person with the longer sobriety started earlier, but then you have to take age into consideration. I may have started my count when you were four. How could I compare my sobriety time with yours? It would almost be like taking advantage of a four year old. I could hold my longer sobriety over you for the rest of my life, even if you had more by the time you kicked the bucket and I had been dead for 30 years. Yeah, who won that race?
Old 08-12-2019, 03:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
Right. When I try to think about sobriety as a competition, it sounds ridiculously absurd. How would you do that? Usually, the person with the longer sobriety started earlier, but then you have to take age into consideration. I may have started my count when you were four. How could I compare my sobriety time with yours? It would almost be like taking advantage of a four year old. I could hold my longer sobriety over you for the rest of my life, even if you had more by the time you kicked the bucket and I had been dead for 30 years. Yeah, who won that race?
None of this is a race or competition.

A lot of people like to count days, which I think is cool, although I don't do it (too lazy, probably).

We're all here because we made some poor choices and exhibited some bad behaviours regarding alcohol.

In my case, for a pretty long time.

I have enjoyed Sober Rican's daily threads.

I like to see enthusiasm for recovery in newly-sober people.

I was in a meeting many, many years ago and I heard a guy talking (a member of the group I was visiting) whose story was in the 1976 (or 1979, I forget) Third Edition of the Big Book.

After talking with him, i realized that I had several years more sobriety than he did.

It shocked me.

He, incidentally, took up drinking, drugging and armed robbery and died drunk.

We're all just drunks around here, irrespective of how long we've been sober.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey, SoberRican-keep posting! I love seeing your daily posts and I find them very inspirational--I don't count days anymore but do count months. 44 grateful months here. Thanks for the daily inspiration!
Old 08-12-2019, 04:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
AA member

I post on the Sober days thread,I have to look it up every time I post,I can never remember off the top of my head.I love to see other peoples sober time adding up.