Notices

Short term sobriety—why not long term

Old 08-11-2019, 04:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Short term sobriety—why not long term

Hi all,
just caved after 27 days clean. Same story over last few years.. first few weeks go by pretty quick then I slowly go down the path to relapse.. the inevitable happens and back to square one. Not sure of what do to and really want to get to the point where sobriety feels like an attainable goal.. I know it’s never over but seems to never get easier as the days pass.. I have a very loving family and don’t know why but they keep sticking through the slips and falls.. so lucky but keep failing them..
Need help any ideas
Old 08-11-2019, 04:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and good for you for achieving 27 days of sobriety.

I would ask you what changes did you make in your life besides stopping drinking. I found that stopping drinking was just the first step and I had to make some lifestyle changes in order to recover. I started an exercise program. I got back to reading which was a hobby I loved, I removed some toxic people from my life. Maybe you can come up with some ideas to add to your recovery program that will help you to stay sober.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As Anna asked...what have you been trying besides just not drinking? I had to change my life around to get to some 'comfortable' time sober and reevaluate my life. That included changing the people,places and things I had gotten accustomed to in my drinking lifestyle.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey good run at 27. Ok so you stumbled . no worries we ALL have. Just have to do a little tweaking for your next attempt. Key word there . attempt. Practice practice practice. One day at a time. Keep coming back.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad you are here...and made it back.

I have to disagree w SoberRican that we all go back to drinking- we don't have to, and like the others asked- what have you been doing those 27 days and what can you do TODAY?

I had to be DONE drinking. Period. Then start to work on living sober, then in a life in recovery. Lots of ideas for IRL action on here, as well as lots of support. I'd suggest looking at the Class of Aug 2019 thread under Newcomers- folks quitting this month like you.

It is possible to get and stay sober- make this the last start and long term, permanent sobriety is definitely a better life.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's not "inevitable" that you go back to drinking. Just look around this site at the dozens of people who are succeeding in sobriety long-term.

If you think you can, you're right.

If you think you can't, you're right.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You’re not back to square one. Every time you have some success you are learning more about the disease, about your failures, about your successes etc. Some of us don’t get it on the first try, or the 20th or the 100th. Just never get up. But like most have said, you need to change something. By now it should be clear that the plan you’re working, is not working.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Tryingeverything. Firstly well done on 27 days. You've already started a positive plan by posting here so my first bit of advice would be to continue reading and posting here often. Aside from that as others have said exercise programs are great and meditation can be very useful as well. Any friends you drank and drugged with should probably be avoided at least temporarily especially in the early stages. I've had similar periods of sobriety lasting upto 70 days but without sticking to a recovery plan have always relapsed. I'm now on day 17 or so and feeling much more positive as i've incorporated a strong plan this time round. Wishing you all the best you can definitely do this!
Old 08-12-2019, 09:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Defeat over and over is tiring...and depressing and feels hopeless..I have been there for the last 6 years.

Recently I have over 50 days...and this time..I just told myself NO MATTER WHAT I GO THRU....DRINKING IS NOT AN OPTION.

I have had a few tough days where I was surprised I did not drink...but all that worked for me was to take the alcohol out of my coping reaction skills.

Now...I get up...take a ride...a walk..make a phone call...eat something....anything but take the drink when the thought arises.

Not an Option....
Old 08-12-2019, 11:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

From one who has relapsed multiple times & finally have significant sober time I had to have the belief I could do it. I mean really believe it. I got that here from the sharing & encouragement. For me, it was changing my daily routine which, as others have said, included exercise. I had to do it first thing in the morning, starting slowly, & gradually increasing the duration & intensity over the subsequent months. I look forward to it & it helps with positive energy & thinking. Along with daily gratitude you can adjust to the inevitable down times when you want to just drink. You can do it!
Old 08-12-2019, 11:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I must echo Anna here in regards to life changes. For me, I took optional redundancy from my illustration job at the beginning of last year. This made not drinking a lot easier, as I was then disconnected from the 'Social Friday' drinking scene at the office. I then rekindled my passion for art and drawing (which had died after years of repetitive illustration work for the company) Since then my focus has been on my skill/hobby. I also took my fitness more seriously. I couldn't work out if I was hungover every weekend, so I wasn't improving until I gave up alcohol.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I kept thinking of recovery as a diet...so I kept falling off my diet.

Recovery is a life change, or at least it was for me.

D