Notices

Day one

Old 08-11-2019, 12:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day one

My drinking is in the form of self-medication, in secret at home alone in the evening, to cope with bereavement (mother when I was 20 and husband two years ago), abandonment, loneliness and, to a degree, boredom - around 10 units every evening.

I have tried loads of things over the years, that I am not going to list. But, last night, I did it! I DIDN'T DRINK ALCOHOL !!!!

I did it on my own, no scouring the internet for solutions, no forums or chatrooms, no scouring YouTube for therapy videos, no alcohol free substitutes, no medications from my GP. I just did it, and it OK. I found some things to watch on replay or obscure TV channels, ate some lovely food, and cuddled Thomas (my cat). I felt OK. I also had a much better night sleep, even though I have overslept a bit.

As I know from previous attempts, one day does not a sobriety make. But I am hopeful - for my physical and mental health's sake.

If I post again tomorrow, I will have done it again (not had alcohol), if not...

Last edited by Badga; 08-11-2019 at 12:46 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-11-2019, 01:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good job on day 1 Badga!
Hey, whether you drink or don't please come back and post. Sometimes you'll hint the target/goal of not drinking and sometime you miss until you've have enough practice then you'll be spot on.
Oh and I'll make you a deal, you come back and keep posting and I'll wave your forum user fees. lol
Old 08-11-2019, 01:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good morning . hey thats how you get the ball rolling . one day at a time. Your mind and your body will tell you when it's time to throw in the towel. Give sobriety a try. I have and I am on day 99 so it can be done. Keep coming back
Old 08-11-2019, 01:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back Badga and well done not drinking last night. It is not easy yet you did it.

I hope you keep posting and get the support that is on offer here.

I too self medicated numerous traumas, grief, loneliness and isolation. I became an all day everyday drinker of 30 units plus a day. It took many attempts but thankfully I am now 9 months sober. I read and post everyday. I still need support, I always will.

Keep going in the right direction.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can do this. Rooting for you.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Bagda - really hope you post again tomorrow. Your post spoke to me because I also generally drank at home, generally drank about 10 units per sitting, and I'm in the UK. I cannot even begin to count my day 1s. Finally, nearly two months ago I made a 'plan' which was basically to sign up here after months of lurking and then to post every day. And I have. I've now got to nearly two months, which at the beginning seemed like a totally unattainable target for me. I think it's something about the accountability that posting each day brings. So stick with it please and keep on posting. I'll watch out for your name. Best of luck.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 1 The mere fact that you did it on your own shows the inner strength you have. Wishing you many more drink free and happy days ahead
Old 08-11-2019, 05:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Badga, so glad for you! Sobriety has to start with that first day, and you've done it. I'm not far ahead of you at 6 days, but would offer a little advice:

- Repeat what you did last night. Cuddle Thomas and eat. I find that many times when I have a craving for alcohol, I'm actually hungry. Eating a good meal dispels the craving.
- Do one active visible thing today, however small, that will feel like an accomplishment. Clean out your junk drawer, organize your socks and throw out those that don't have a match, just something that you will see tomorrow and be pleased that you've done it.

And remember, you didn't make it "only" one day - you've made a start at a successful sober future.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

May this be the first of many.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great job Badga!!! That's where it starts. Stay with us.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That took great courage Bagda to act on your own and not drink.

So glad you shared--Lots of people read that don't post and your story may inspire them to quit too.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good job. Go to bed sober tonight, too.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

you can post more than once a day too! SR is a great support system. we're here 24/7!!! wishing you the best!
Old 08-11-2019, 08:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I believe in you, Badga.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made this decision and that you're ready to live a sober life.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Everything has a day one, even the universe and look where it is now. Keep going.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Keep it up and don't be afraid to ask for help or just check in for accountability.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I hope I have clicked on 'thanks' for all responses - if I haven't, I have simply missed you and it is not that I am not grateful for your response.

Here I am on day three! Glad that I have done my first 'weekend' too, and it wasn't that bad. Since my husband died, I tended to consume more on weekends, especially Sunday - even though I need to go to work the next day. However, I am on annual week for the next fortnight, but instead of relishing the thought of sitting on my patio in the sun, getting stoned on G&T, I am going to use the two weeks as my own form of 'rehab' - good nutrition, hydration, gardening, seeing friends, and going to exercise classes - all of which I love.

I will let you all know how I am doing tomorrow, and hope you all do OK today, tomorrow, this week, etc., too.

Again today, I have overslept and have a bit of a headache, but recognise that this is probably my brain and body starting to recover.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Rest as much as you need. Your body is cleansing itself and that takes energy.
Please keep posting!
Old 08-12-2019, 02:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Doing great Badga!